Las Vegas in new USL Pro league soon?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by VivaLasVegas, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As mentioned in the MLS thread, Jason Ader of bWin and Red Bulls/Petke fame is involved. Sounds good too far. My money is on USL too.

Any Vegas locals think the baseball team will actually leave Cashman?

3. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The 51's (relatively new) ownership has been wanting to build a stadium in Summerlin for a while now. Only thing is they've been trying to get public funding. That's gone over about as well as one might expect. Maybe Ader's group will kick some cash their way to help facilitate a move. Or just buy them out period and shut the baseball team down? Just speculating here...

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Don allow Ader in the MLS-USL system after his billboards going after Red Bull for firing Petke?

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his check clears, probably. Ader is worth a lot and certainly seems a fan of soccer and MLS specifically. Hard to say no to guys like that.

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x97fee1e0b9d1d172!6m1!1e1

The shape of Cashman looks like it would convert nicely for soccer. With parking lot just outside right field fence, there is lots of room to expand if MLS bid ever came to fruition. I was there a couple of times when I was kid back in 80s just after it had opened. The current baseball cpacity is about right for USL - although might be a little large. if they sell it out consistently, that will surely get MLS attention. This seems plausible idea although I admittedly know nothing about the people involved.

LVMLS repped this.
  7. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It could definitely work. Was at the Quakes/Rapids match back in March and everyone in our group decided it could definitely convert nicely. Hopefully Ader and co. are able to do everything they have planned for the area as well. That would be huge.

As an aside, it sounds like there may be rumblings starting back up re: the USL team. Someone I know who has maintained contact with people within the groups told me they are no longer allowed to speak about any soccer news (a NDA was mentioned). I trust the person in question so maybe some sort of announcement is forthcoming?

Just conjecture on my part of course so take the above with whatever amount of salt you deem applicable.

ChinaBlue repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sometimes rumors are interesting to me. This one is interesting.
    641751779680632832 is not a valid tweet id

Word just leaked that Reno's USL deal is done. A press conference is scheduled next week.

Maybe that's good news for Vegas 2017.

LVMLS repped this.
  9. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hmm. That would jibe date-wise with what I heard re: the possibility of something being announced here in Las Vegas. Hadn't heard anything about LV and Reno going in simultaneously but it makes sense. Instant rivalry.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I agree/understand with the "USL doesn't care about buildup or anticipation". Does he want a shorter time frame from announcement to getting on the field? Longer? I think announcing now for 2016 is pretty late, but manageable. Announcing now for 2017 may be a bit early, but it gives them a chance to assemble the FO, a full season to go see how gameday operations go at different locations, etc.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it that some folks stretch the bounds of credulity - a little or a lot - to fit their own narrative?

It's November 3. Still no Las Vegas announcement, when one was supposed to be coming "as early as April."

Now instead of "Hey, maybe the Las Vegas thing isn't working out, or isn't far enough along," it's "Well, they MUST want Reno and Las Vegas to join together (which is also why they made LA wait until all the other California teams joined up, and didn't expand to Phoenix until Tucson was ready and....well, you get the idea)."

Also, announcing now for 2016 is more than "pretty late." And announcing now for 2017 isn't "a bit early," it's more like "fairly prudent."

An MLS team with existing infrastructure who isn't worried that much about selling tickets can pull this off in six months or less. An independent team that has to start from a blank page would almost always be better served with seventeen months than with twelve.

And boo ********ing hoo if that means some people have to wait for a club to start playing. Jesus, does NOBODY follow the history of the game in this country?

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Uh, oh ... somebody's all riled up.

13. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're railing against a two-month old post that is obviously conjecture, framed as such, and had no real traction as there were no follow-up posts until yours. Not sure what narrative you think is being imposed on the world.

The Las Vegas bid lost one of their major investors a while back and have since been working on getting finances back on track. It's been a bit since I've heard anything as the person I know who was privy to info was made to sign a NDA so no more juicy tidbits. He hasn't hinted at anything being imminent so my guess is things have regressed. Or at least stalled. So we shall see....

14. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Somebody needs a nap.

And a bottle.

Of scotch.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and since when is this any different than his usual state of mind???

The One X and LVMLS repped this.
  16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oneeyedfool repped this.
  17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    IMG_2096.jpg

LA Times seemed pretty sure today.

18. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on schedule!

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how that's going to work with the 51's who play a much longer and more overlapping season than say the Brooklyn Cyclones do with the Cosmos. And on real grass. Conversion back and forth won't be easy I'd imagine, or cheap.

22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be short term problem. I believe they are trying to build new stadium for 51s and are failry far along in that process. That would leave Cashman to soccer only. If you look at footprint, there is good chunk of land behind right field that stands could be built and it would look and feel like soccer stadium similar to Portland or Tampa but maybe even more room to expand if ever needed. I've like the Cashman idea ever since rumors of a Vegas MLS/USL/NASL team surfaced. I think it just works nicely.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because it's very rectangular for a baseball stadium. But I'd not heard any news on the 51's making progress on a new ballpark.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard was back in January when they reiterated they wanted a new park and a Las Vegas County Commissioner said he thought you'd hear something in the next couple of months about it. It does not appear as though there has been a resolution.

If the new team starts playing in 2018, given how long it normally takes to build a baseball park (assuming it's not in Hartford, Connecticut), you'd have to figure that even if there was a fairly quick agreement on a new park, they'd at least share in 2018 and 2019.