laopinion: Club America close to buying Earthquakes & rename SJ to Club America USA.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Kqql, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Exactly! The payoff of maybe gaining all those Mexican fans who've avoided MLS thus far at the expense of alienating the current fanbase may not be as substantial as some here may think.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Club America/Televisa can take over the team (or co-run it with AEG, as other rumors have stated), keep the team-name and identity, bring in some Mexican players (the current team needs fine-tuning, not a major overhaul, after all), and draw the Hispanic fans while keeping the current fan base.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That way, everybody wins. :)

-G

2. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Problem with this is, why would Club America or any MFL team owner want to buy the Quakes as they are, without a strong fanbase and little indication of growth at the current rate? Their whole reason of being involved would be marketing the "Club America" name in the US.

Without changing the name and pinning hopes that signing a few mexican players, which has already proven not to work in the past, why would they begin to draw the Hispanic fans now?

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This the soundest approach.

And the NFL Europe comparison doesn't hold water. There aren't 20+ million ex-pats living in Europe.

These attempts to cater to this elusive market are an attempt to incorporate a group of ppl that do not feel incorporated in US society. MLS would be a "metaphor" for this. If it works, great. If it doesn't, back to the drawing board. But I doubt Club America will attempt to pull it off...

4. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose

I can't read Spanish but I still laughed at that. I think I even get what it means, too. . .

5. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    A major overhaul is definitely the best bet. The new owners would have nothing to lose. The current situation requires bold moves.

Contrary to some of the posters here, the fan base that does exist will not be alienated by a name change or foreign ownership.

Real soccer fans will continue to come to the games. "Earthquake" fans can snuggle up with their blue jerseys and whine all they want.

Soccer fans will be at the games.

6. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Steve:

Geographically, there are only five continents.

Ours is a hemisphere, divided in three parts: North, Central and South America.

From Alaska to El Suchiate (Mexico's south border) you find North America.

From El Suchiate to Panama you find Central America.

From Colombia to Patagonia (Argentina) you find South America.

Hope this clarifies for you...

7. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Helmet:

Loose translation:

"It seems I can't eath anything without you having an appetite for it..."

Or "without you wanting to eat it too..."

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: lame...

Where do you get this bizzare notion that Garber can just do whatever he wants and make any decision he wants.

There's the small matter of the people who have invested money in the league, Einstein.

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Not this argument again.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, thank goodness that this story came up in La Opinion. Just in the nick of time as all the hysterics over Chivas USA were finally dying down. Now we have something else that threatens the end of the world. This should be good to keep us fretting for a few more months. But that Monarcas Chicago rumor will need to be ready early next year.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I could call up La Opinion, tell them that my wife's boss' gardener heard from his cousin down in Monterrey that Tigres are going to buy the Dallas Burn and move them to Abilene, and La Opinion would print it.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: lame...

Name 1 thing that "Garber" has done to "do whatever JUST to get investor money".

Name just one thing.

You can't.

To get all worked up about newspaper and internet rumours is a bit premature.

If Garber does sell out league rules for a few million dollars, then he deserves to get flamed. But at this point you're hanging a man for someone elses conjecture.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how much is HSG going to sell the Burn for?

14. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    WTF?! Screw that, man! I am done with this league, I am not putting one more dollar in the pockets of the Burn front office. I am sick and tired of MLS bending over and taking it from a bunch of racists who are just trying to get rich off of me.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Get ready for Luis Angel Washington!

Sachin

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did rebrand the team it would at least sound better to use Eagles/Aguilas (the CA nickname). But I think they need to keep Earthquakes, it's not a good idea to change it again.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In keeping with all the unfounded "MLS is bending over for the Mexicans" hysteria that's been popular on BigSoccer...

200 cases of Negro Modelo.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    That's with Frisco, right? If you're stuck at Southlake, you'd be lucky to get a half-empty bottle of Corona.

Sachin

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it's with Frisco.

You think that anyone would give more than a warm can of Dos Equis for a team that plays at Dragon Stadium?

20. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Wait, that's MY Negro Modelo! Move the Burn to San Jose!

21. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: lame...

Okay, I suspect most got it, but looks like I have to spell it out...

tongue-in-cheek (adj): cleverly amusing in tone; "a bantering tone"; "facetious remarks"; "tongue-in-cheek advice" [syn: bantering, facetious] (adv) 1: in a bantering fashion; "he spoke to her banteringly" [syn: banteringly] 2: not seriously; "I meant it facetiously" [syn: facetiously, jokingly]

22. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if they want a team with a fanbase, that certainly leaves San Jose out.

Bada-boom.

Thanks, you guys are great. Try the veal.

23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Agreed. The minute that happens my hard earned money stays in my pocket and they can look elsewhere for a season ticket buyer.