Lansdowne vs Kanata vs Lebreton Flats

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by FandesRens, Feb 16, 2009.

1. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A thread so we can follow the adventures of city hall trying to sort out which stadium bid they will be backing...

2. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CFRA online poll today (www.cfra.com) as to where you want the stadium;

results so far (11:20PM, 16 feb 2009) :

Kanata....... 43,3%
    Lansdowne. 39,3%
    Neither....... 11,9%
    Other......... 5,3%

3. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    Did the "Bring the World to Ottawa" group send out an email to vote in this? If so, I didn't get one; if not, it's surprising that CFRA nation would be leaning towards the Kanata stadium. CFRA used to broadcast Rough Rider games.

4. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I received no email from BTWO or for the NCISL about this poll.

5. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I know that the Glebe Community Association sent out an email about the poll, but they did not recommend one option or another - they merely said that there was an online poll

7. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would really hate to see the 67's play out of scotiabank place, but I would really like to see the stadium in Kanata. Is there no way that they can preserve the civic center when demolishing Frank Clair stadium?

It seem as though the CFL group has more weapons in its arsenal than Melnyk, if this argument holds up there is no way that the councilors will vote for a stadium that will force the 67's out of Ottawa.

8. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't actually know what the Kanata proposal has going for it right now - in particular I think that there is an overwhelming preference to have a stadium downtown. The only negative with Lansdowne is the awful proposed development surrounding the stadium (and I cannot emphasize enough how much I hate the idea of an AQUARIUM in the Cattle Castle, instead of the Farmer's Market)

Does anyone think City Hall should be taking a tough line - saying that there is no public money for anyone unless they play nice and work out a stadium that will satisfy both groups? Surely they can find some way to agree on who gets the correct cut of the $10 beers and $8 hot dogs... It is ludicrous to think of puting a single dollar into a brand new stadium that would only do half the job (hopefully) required of it.

9. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is no way it makes economic sense for Melnyk to put an MLS franchise in a stadium he doesn't control. No matter how much people may want it, MLS is coming to Kanata or it is not coming to Ottawa.

10. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    From my understanding the farmers market would be part of the new project.The probleam with the city saying there is not public money is they would have to do that with other groups such as arts etc.So no i can't see them saying this to these 2 groups.What i think may happen is they could approve both projects.

11. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But his plan is for the stadium to be owned by the City so he would not control the stadium regardless. Where he sees his profit, no doubt, will be in the underutilised parking surrounding the stadium. And the pubs and bars he wants to put out there. And in some sweetheart lease that he will then "renegotiate" with the city in 3 years (because if he leaves, the city woul be stuck with a white elephant a la Lynx Stadium)

If your statement is true, then I suspect that the MLS is not coming to Ottawa. I think, in any event, a good comparable is the proposed Concert Hall, for which the City was going to put forth $6 Million. Both Melnyk and Hunt want over $30 Million - can anyone see the city giving money to BOTH of them?

I am not trying to be a downer, just realistic. Besides, I think we know that in this city, nothing ever gets done

12. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some things do get done if you have someone with enough drive pushing. People doubted that Ottawa would ever get an NHL franchise and a state of the art arena, but we have the Senators and Scotiabank Place.

If anyone can bring MLS to Ottawa, I think Eugene Melnyk can.

13. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005

I thnk the city will look long term yes its 30 million not but what the make long term is what should be the factor.Take the senators for exzampe they bring in about $20-40 million a year.This will give the city more case to do other things such as giving more to the arts etc.To be honest this city has enough concert hall type venues.

14. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In the end, the decision will be made for what is best for the city.

A soccer specific stadium in Kanata right next to Scotia Bank place? Soccer has been growing in Canada and there would be a natural rivalry with Toronto FC. The field they want to use is just a snow dump, and all the roads getting there are already to be used. The parking would be excellent and the plan calls to make this area a Hub of entertainement

Or A multipurpose stadium at Lansdowne. Football has a long history in Ottawa and also the largest amateur youth football association in Canada is in Ottawa. The Junior Hockey team would also benefit from a revamped arena and an advantage is being right downtown Ottawa.

If I were a city councilor, thinking of what is best for Ottawa for the next 30 years... I would actually vote for both. They both make sense.

15. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The four of us should just meet for a drink... it seems to be our debate here!

Anyway, we shall see what comes out of the staff report this Thursday.

16. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was just going to reply that we are never going to get both, but maybe I was too quick. The best chance of getting MLS seems to be to come up with a plan that does allow MLS, CFL and the 67's to thrive. Hmmm, it's a lot easier to say than to achieve, but worth some thought.

17. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You know, you look at Carleton in google Earth, and you can see instantly where they are thinking, right on Dows Lake, with the O-Train right there... I think it has potential. Lots of parking at Carleton, 5 minutes from the Queensway, right on Bronson...

20. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    You do realize that Melnyk didn't create the Senators or the building. He bought them both dirt cheap from bankruptcy.

21. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Of course, and I think Melnyk is more likely to achieve his goals than Firestone and the rest, and of course Cyril Leader was part of both groups!

22. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Based on what? Having Cyril Leader in his corner? The original group, with Leader as a main player, didn't have all their capital lined up when they applied for an NHL franchise. They only got in because they said yup to John Zeigler's asinine demands, and it almost did them in. The only talent Eugene Melnyk seems to have is in writing a cheque, which it seems is all that matters to Don Garber and MLS, soccer culture and tradition be damned. Sorry, but I don't see Melnyk as the right type of person for MLS or soccer in Canada. He seems to suffer penis envy.

23. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Melnyk has one thing going for him... Flair. He came up with MLS out of the blue and everyone thought this was not serious. Ottawa never had a great soccer history... You went on the net and Ottawa was absent. Now Ottawa is all over the place. All these people involved in soccer came in and made Ottawa a viable alternative. So far that, he deserves kuddos... He does have the ability to gather people who otherwise would not come together.

24. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They said yup to what the NHL asked for and today we have the Senators. Other groups in the mix, Hamilton I think didn't say yup and where is their NHL team today? Sound anything like Montreal's now defunct MLS bid?

If you listen to Melnyk talk I think he has a good understanding of soccer culture and tradition.

And why would you add that last comment? What does that add to a discussion of soccer?

25. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    This smacks of desperation to me. I mean, Lansdowne Live launched their proposal back in October, and they wait until now to suggest that the 67's future depends on it? If Hunt was really worried about his hockey team, why didn't he mention it from the beginning?