Landon's gone -- Who do we get?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ringo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's the benefit of having money. The Quakes don't - in fact, they burn it. If someone was to give me $25 million, I'd pander their ass off.

2. IrishQuake

IrishQuake New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Alameda, CA, USA
    Re: Fox Football Friday

Did anyone else catch Aquari discussing Landon's departure on da phone on *Fox Football Friday* tonight?

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not quite ready to give up on the idea that they hold onto the allocation in order to retain LD's rights. But if this is true,

I'd say they should take the allocation this year if they find a good fit. The reason is that Donovan's BL contract goes to 2007. So I think this is probably the most likely time that he'd come back to MLS. Here are some "Donovan return" scenarios off the top of my head and probability estimates (based on nothing much other than intuition, wild guesses, and a little common sense).

1) He's plays there a year, and decides (again) that it's just not for him. He wants to come back to MLS for the 2006 season (15%)

2) He plays out his contract at BL (through 2007), liking it OK, and doing well enough, but he now feels like he's "done his duty", fulfillied his obligation, grown through the experience, etc., and now he's ready to come home. (40%)

3) He plays out his contract at BL (through 2007), does well, and gets the major big bucks from some other European club, maybe in a location more to his liking (e.g. Spain). Then doesn't come back to the states until his late 20's (sometime beyond 2010 or so) to finish out his career. (35%)

4) Other - whatever (10%)

So if it's true that they lose his rights after 2 years, they lose out in scenarios 2 and 3 if they hold onto the allocation in the hopes that he'll come back soon. If they take the allocation, there's still some chance that scenario 1 will play out (he comes back after a year), and they'll have rolled the dice and lost big. But the chances of this happening are small enough (IMO) that it's probably not worth holding out for his return.

But if they can hold onto his rights indefinitely, there may still be a good argument for passing indefinitely on the allocation. A few things to consider:

- There doesn't appear to be much difference anymore between an allocation and a discovery pick as indicated in this article from 2001.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=54217

- Allocated players are hit and miss and there have been many misses. LD is a proven commodity in MLS. If they do get him back it's pretty much a can't-miss unless he has some injuries that slow him down. Most likely he'll come back an even much stronger player, and a "much stronger" Donovan would be one helluva player.

- Many people have already called LD the best American player ever, and you don't want to give up rights to someone like that too easily.

- I don't believe use of an allocation this year will have an effect on the future of the team in San Jose. That decision should be made this year anyway one way or another. The team's record might be a little worse w/o the allocation, but I don't see that affecting the future of the team in any significant way. Retaining rights to Donovan would be an attractive selling point for an investor, and so by passing on the allocation you may actually be improving the chances for the team to remain in SJ under local ownership.

- As much as Quakes fans might like to think it would happen, I don't think Donovan would demand to come back to San Jose when he comes back. I think he's said he wouldn't mind playing in LA. We like to pretend he wouldn't say that, but I think he has. So I don't think it would be wise to give up his rights thinking he'd demand to return only to SJ anyway.

-
    ??! I'd be completely flabbergasted if that happened. (Clearly not written by a Quakes fan well-versed in victim mentality :) ). I think it's certain that MLS execs would not pull strings to get him back in San Jose. They would probably do the opposite. I think they've been wringing their hands for 3 years that he wound up with San Jose, and not with one of their pet franchises. (Not sure how it happened in the first place. They mustn't have thought he was going to be as good as he turned out to be.)

Regarding Noah Elliott's comment about letting Dom and Alexi do their jobs, yeah, they're going to do what they think is best for the short term. But that doesn't mean it's the best for the franchise longer term. Unfortunately the uncertainty around the club means that no one's in a position to make a decision that trades short-term gain for long-term gain. So serve up the Kool-aid. :)

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    If Ekelund isn't returning, who's going to be the playmaker in the central midfield? Other than Donovan, few if any American-born players have had success. Usually these players are 25 y/o+. So the draft is unlikely to produce one. Maybe a discovery, but the allocation is more promising in getting a Ruiz/Guevera caliber player and this isn't LA or NY. Looks like DC will have to use their Convey allocation to keep Gomez. There's a big hole screaming to use the allocation. I'd suggest to use it cause I think there's little chance Donovan will return in 2 years. I truly believe he'll succeed in Europe, be a regular starter in the EPL by 2007 and won't be back until after the 2010 WC. Speculating that far out is difficult. 2 years, not as difficult. With only 2/5 regular midfielders returning and Dombrowksi and Alvarez not playing much this year, if this allocation carries much money, use it.

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true (the point about Ekelund). Look how long we cried for the "playmaking midfielder" that the Earthquakes didn't have until Ekelund came here. That position was never filled prior to that time, and I hope that everyone remembers that.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    One guy I wouldn't mind spending "allocation" money on is Wade Barrett. He's proven MLS commodity (almost defender of the year, remember?). He's not a direct replacement for Donovan, but I'd be happy to see his return to MLS for us (maybe we still hold his rights? Even so, allocation means he could get more money on a new contract, perhaps enough to compete with his Danish club). Move Todd up to left mid (replacement for Corrales, eh?) and play Wade behind him.

7. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Another very likely possibility for Donovan is he plays two seasons for BL and the club transfers him to another club, say in the EPL, for 06-07.

This way, BL gets a transfer fee and the other club fills a hole for that season.

This is providing he does well. If he doesn't do well, MLS can scoop him up at this point for a reduced fee.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    This would be another scenario where the Quakes would lose big if they use their allocation and give up his rights. But after 2 years he would probably only come back to MLS if 1) he didn't do well in Germany and his stock has fallen (very unlikely) or 2) he's ready to return to MLS. Assuming his stock has risen he should be in line for a huge contract, at the peak of his career, and my guess is he'd stay in Europe for a few more years.

9. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    So far, the latest anyone has suggested LD would return was after 2010. At that time, he'd be 28...in his prime. We've thrown out many scenarios and, IMO, all have been predicated on the statement LD made about wanting to return to the states to get married and raise a family. That may be how he feels today but that could change.

A more likely scenario in my mind's eye sees Landon going to Europe and becoming a solid, successful player. Maybe he still doesn't get as much media run as a Beckham or Zidane because his image is still tainted by being "an American." However, he makes an incredible living and enjoys the higher level of play. After growing comfortable living abroad, he realizes that there are other nice places besides the US where people raise families and he decides to stay overseas.

I have trouble envisioning a World Cup and European-seasoned, 28 year old, heart-of-his-prime Donovan deciding to come back and play in MLS. I love MLS but it is my opinion that it will still be a comparative "minor league" in 2010. I would love nothing more than to see Landon return to SJ in the above situation but I doubt he would decide such a thing...it would seem a huge waste of his enormous abilities.

I'd think that if he achieves the international success we all expect he will, we should plan on seeing him back here till after the 2014 WC, when he'd be in his early 30's and reaching what's considered the "twilight" of soccer players' careers. Then, I could see a very triumphant homecoming.

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Some good points, but I would still bet on him returning by the time he's in his late 20's because:

1) I think MLS will continue to gain on the European leagues in the next decade so there will be even less difference in the level of play.

2) Some people are more comfortable living outside the US than others. LD may change but I get the impression that right now he's a real "to-the-bone" California kid who is very comfortable and happy here.

3) He has close family here, including a twin sister.

4) Travel between USMNT training and European club team duties is wearing, and he's already said he has a hard time with traveling. It's possible he could get used to it, but right now it's an issue for him.

11. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    That's because you are looking at that possible move (MLS pulling a backroom deal to make sure Donovan ends up in SJ upon his return) as a favor to San Jose. It's not. It would be a favor to Donovan. Say what you will about LA, I think it's likely that Donovan considers himself now and forever a Quake. Just my gut feeling.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG definitely was wringing their hands about it, though it was for four years. ;)

They definitely knew from Day One that Donovan would be as good as he turned out to be, which is why he undoubtedly would've been with the Fallacy had AEG/MLS gotten its way.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for jogging the memory on that one, GS. Definitely the case as I remember it: No SVS&E = No Donovan.

14. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% right. WHEN he comes back, the league will accomodate him and it will be San Jose.

Meanwhile, the more I think about it, the more I would like Mathis.

I know duck to prepare for the pummelling such a statement gets.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It almost seems like yesterday, yet it'll soon have been four years since that happened. :eek:

Damn, I'm old! :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

16. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

If he's going to play for a successful Bundesliga side in BL that qualifies for the Champions League and UEFA Cup...those sorts of tournaments, played in the midst of their regular season schedule, then he'd better grow accustomed to it fast.

17. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Sounds like the Quakes agree with you, according to Marc Connelly:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=317653&cc=5901

"Wade Barrett -- The San Jose Earthquakes apparently would love to see the return of their former left back, according to sources. Since leaving MLS after the 2002 season, Barrett has been playing for AGF Aarhus in Denmark, but is now hoping to return to the U.S."

I'm not sure who I'd rather have at mid, Wade or Todd. But I'd love to see Wade come back.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Right, and that's one of the reasons I think he'd be more likely to tire of playing in Europe (and come back to MLS) sooner rather than later.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    No, I'm not looking at it only as that.

So I'm also considering the possibility that Donovan would ask/require to come back to San Jose, and I don't think that's a given at all. There will likely be a lot of changes between now and then (when he comes back). New players, new coaches possibly, almost definitely new ownership. So that leaves loyalty to the fans. Of course we'd like to believe that would be enough but we don't know and I'm not necessarily counting on it.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to me that you could almost alternate those two. Wade is the vet, however.

21. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saving an allocation on the HOPE that LD wants to return quickly seems pretty silly to me, seeing that opportunity in MLS is kind of fleeting. There are very few teams that stay intact like ours did for four years. We need to go with the flow. If we could pick up a few quality players to replace the quality players we've lost, and a few of the younger players step up, we'll be just fine.

As Wee Man said in another thread, I think, we're only about 4 players away from being a contender.

Maybe we pick up one from the LD allocation. Maybe we get a good draft pick. Maybe we get a Discovery player. Maybe Levesque turns out to be the real deal.

At any rate, it seems to me that you play your cards in MLS one year at a time.

Look at DCU this year. It wasn't Freddy that made the difference -- a lot of little things plus Moreno.

I hope Dom and Alexi can do as well this year as DCU did last year.

22. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corrales is gone to Norway. If Barrett is itching to return, he can nicely fill in for the departed Ramiro.

23. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I'm sure. I'd put Todd at mid and Wade at left back.

Things may have changed by now, but the difference between Wade and Todd (for me) was this:

Wade: faster, more tenacious D (stronger in D)
    Todd: defter touch, better crossing, the THROW (stronger in attack)

I still remember the Wade transformation. Agoos shows up, and Wade started looking good as soon as he learned to make the short pass to Agoos every time he won the ball. When he tried stuff on his own, he usually just gave the ball to the other team. (Some of you guys must remember this Wade, right?) Then, after three quarters of a season with Agoos, Wade started to pick his moments, and make a few passes forward. He was picking those moments much more wisely than before, and he looked much more confident doing so. However, I still suspect that Agoos palyed a big role in making him (and to a certain extent, Todd) look as good as he did.

-------Ching--Levesque
    ----------Alvarez
    Dunni------------------Mullan
    ---------Mulrooney
    WADE---Agoos/Dayak--Cochrane/Robinson--Waibel/Hart/Roner/NEW GUY
    -------ON/cON/crON

Puts a lot of pressure on Alvarez....

24. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I remember Wade playing in the middle of the park early on, and not looking too bad. His crossing was good from the left, and got better. However, I agree that Wade was a better defender than Todd, last time we saw him. And throw in Waibel in one of the defensive slots-he has improved steadily and deserves a look.

I haven't seen anything from Alvarez to show that he belongs as an MLS starter, but he is young, so maybe he can step up. Ditto Levesque.

25. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Roger score a goal for his A league side. He just kind of fell over everyone in a wild scramble, but hit the ball in. He seems to have improved a lot, so maybe he will pay off.

How about an oldster from the Championship, or whatever it is called now. When does Eddie Lewis's contract with Preston NE end?