Landon & Timmy: Everton v. Sunderland 1/27/09

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by NBlue, Jan 25, 2010.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No spit. It's tougher to make a difference for FC Hollywood than a mid table EPL team. Really?!?!

Also, he's generously listed at 5'8" and sucks in the air even for a short guy, while the Bundesliga is an aerial league. How was that supposed to work?

But try and get across some of these "excuses" to arrogant EPL fans who assumed he'd fail just because he wasn't a standout in an inferior league. You couldn't.

2. Tima

Tima Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Cambridge
    To my English ears that is exactly what was meant.

Gosh you Yanks are a sensitive bunch :)

Landon is doing well for us.

3. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wasn't talking about the HT review of the goal, but the live action. others were saying the in-game announcers were describing Donovan's goal as "gift-wrapped." i just found that odd because i've seen "gift-wrapped" goals before, but I wouldn't use that terminology to describe Landon's today.

4. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Jabez Ramone

Jabez Ramone Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Southern California
    That was how I understood it.

/grew up in a house with pictures of the Queen on the wall.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my persepctive it wasn't a hard goal. It was the type of goal a striker must finish if given the opportunity. But it wasn't a walk in the park either. The control off the chest does have a degree of difficulty and precision. But that's made easier for someone of Landon's (and for most Premiership level strikers) abilities. A goal is a goal and I'm so proud Landon has opened his account. Paraphrasing the annoucers, he looks like an Everton player and plays like an Everton player. Hopefully in the future he can fully be an Everton member.

7. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    very good anticipation and run by donovan.

almost waited too long to get off his shot though.

good enough.

never doubted for 7 years now he could do fine in any league, if he stuck to it.

8. Roflcer of the Lawl

Mar 25, 2007
    That was going in deflection or not. Cheers to Landycakes!

I have a good feelings thats not the only Yanks Abroad goal we get this week.

9. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F***ing well done Landon.

It was a great run, and he slotted it away cooly. He has opened his account now, and I think we are going to see Landon at his best for the next few months leading into the World Cup.

USA USA USA !

10. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Come on dude, seriously, you just sound like a bitter Liverpool fan here. It's obviously more fun watching us right now than the horrific stuff your boys play ;)

In all seriousness, we don't really play "the beautiful game" unless we are riding high on confidence, and particularly, when Arteta is central. Arteta is one of the only players who will come and receive the ball from the defence to start off the moves. Sometimes I do get angry with how we play though (see Saturday 1st half imparticular!).

Thought we that the start we made meant this game was relatively a backseat affair - we just didn't even need to get out of first gear. 1st goal was a good ball from Fellaini (I think?) and a good, flicked, helping on header from Cahill that surprisingly went in! Although heading is Cahills forte...Then LD scored a beautiful goal, pace, nice chest down and a cool finish (although it may have taken a small deflection...?) still made up for the boy. All his efforts have paid off and I am really happy for him. Howard made 2 excellent saves late one to keep score right, having spent the previous 80minutes or so as a spectator.

Right, I was a little annoyed that Moyes took Donovan off for Arteta. I said he should of took Osman off, particularly if he was moving Osman wide.I just want to see LD play with Arteta, he will make sure that he receives it and give it to him where he can be most probing and dangerous. We needed Donovan's pace to keep us a threat on the counter - but when he went off, we invited the pressure onto us by not keeping the ball or running it to the corners that LD would have provided.Neville yet again does him no justice with his constant hoofing everytime he gets it. I prefer Neville defensively than Hibbert, but at least Hibbert would give him the damn ball!!

That rant over.

As I said, LD scored a beautiful goal, was unlucky with the other when he rounded the keeper, he blew away the defenders with his speed on occasions, he showed some lovely touches - a little chest down to Neville (which PN then miscontrolled :rolleyes:) and damn the boy works so hard. That is one thing that will certainly endear him to our fans, they love guys who give 100%, even if they play badly, they will get respect and love from our fans. Just so happens LD gives us more than 100% ;). Overall, thought he was much better today than the weekend. Ok, I love the guy and as much as this might be hard for LAG fans to hear, I REALLY want him to stay permanent - my mates very much of the same opinion.

Oh and corners were spot on again...

Nice little quote with Moyes on Landon..

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1163085.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

3 people repped this.
  11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    3 EPL Games, 3 Starts, 1 Goal and 1 Assist.

I'd say you're right.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I used to think Landon had a sorry aerial game but he's scored his fair share with his head. Some good, classy finishes, too. He's not going to out jump anyone that's for sure but he knows how to place a header on frame and he's above average and accurate with little flicks on with his head. What I like is that often he knows how to evade a defender so he doesn't have to out jump them. It's similar to how small receivers in the NFL, like Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Greg Jennings, & DeSean Jackson, can create space between bigger DBs and make catches. BTW, I've never made a American football comparison in my life! ;) :D

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Landon is good with his head for a small guy.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Landon's celebration:
    It could've been his "Yes I did that" chest thump, or he could be hitting the Everton crest on his shirt which many people do -- although I've never seen LD do that in LA.

But it would be understandable, given how he's commented on how great the fan support has been and how welcome he's been made to feel at the club.

Just a thought.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's deft with his head. But isn't the header-winning type. Given what he does bring, I don't see that as a huge weakness.

16. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the team goes undefeated in those games. Gotta keep that in mind.

17. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he used The "two-handed chest thump followed by a Leaping "F*ck Yeah", where he punches the air w/ his right fist & lands back down to earth to get mauled by teammates"© celebration ;)

18. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setanta has the replay of the game on now.

19. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read his lips, Landon is actually saying "America! F*ck yeah!" as he thumps his chest.

20. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    That's what she said.

21. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    It would be fantastic if someone with Setanta would upload the game to Veetle so all of us Plebeians could watch it straight through without the choppy internet feed crap. :p And a thousand thank you's in advance to the generous soul who does.

22. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I would've saw his almost goal and the ball he played to put Osmund through. Sounds like classic LD when he holds the ball while the runner gets to top speed.

23. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Landon played the ball square to Osman just inside the 18

24. Yanks Abroad

Yanks Abroad Member

Aug 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    why are all of everton's players wearing dickies? it doesn't look that cold...