Landon & Timmy: Everton v. Sunderland 1/27/09

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by NBlue, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You could be right, I didn't see the replay. At full speed, it looked like he got a good mitt on Zenden's shot at pretty much full extension (serious athleticism), but the 2nd was a point-blank reaction where Jones hit the exact spot he wanted to but Timmy stonewalled him (excellent read, as the best reflexes in the world are needed, but not enough on their own to stop that effort).

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    With Arteta out, Fellaini's been the best player on this team, and I'd put him in the top handful of DMs in England, maybe in Europe. He's lately done nothing but impress the hell out of me.

3. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our boys are 1 & 2 in the ratings according to the fans.

Top Rated Players Player Rating Club

Landon Donovan 8.6 Everton
    Tim Howard 8.0 Everton
    Leighton Baines 8.0 Everton
    Tim Cahill 7.3 Everton
    Marouane Fellaini 7.0 Everton

4. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok. that didn't address the quote you selected at all. but thanks.

5. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree about Landon's goal. He went far post with it.

Landon used a chest-trap as a fake (he acts like he's squaring up to go right and he takes the ball left into space), he uses his speed to get separation, he anticipates the keeper's movement to the near post, and he fires it far post...the defender recovered as much as he could and got a foot in front of the strike and deflected it back to the keeper's right.

It was a nice move and probably a goal either way. If he would have scored that ball low to the far post, it would have been a glorious goal at that speed.

Either way, it was class stuff from Landon.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm drawing a blank. Is this Donovan's first real European goal? If so I'll crack a beer in celebration. It's been long overdue! :D

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York

That's great, but I think both Cahill and Fellaini should've been rated higher. I'd have rated Donovan 3rd behind the two of them today. (And then of course Timmy who came up big twice in the closing minutes, after about 80 minutes of nothing needed.) Baines had yet another good match. I'd rate both Landon and Howard good 7-7.5s.

8. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Timmeh made two spectacular saves to keep all 3 points. Definitely deserves the rating.

9. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky gives Timmy a 7 and Landon an 8.

10. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Made Landon my captain for this fantasy week... I may just have to do it again next week. :)

11. EvertonChris

EvertonChris New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Made hard work of it second half when we should have been out of sight!

Heitinga man of the match for me.

12. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both were excellent saves, but (at least in my humble opinion) the first was the type of save that I used to make in a season and then remember for years. Howard makes those types of saves many times though! The guy is really good.

Its easier to take a high ball off of a head than it is to take a volley off of a cross...its just so tough to track the ball from side to side, from up to down, and then have it slammed with precision from a low place into a spot that's difficult to get to. You have to have quick twitch response like a cat. Howard has that, and he's smart too.

13. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a notable dropoff in energy between halves. Everton didnt show Sunderland much respect by coming out and playing without urgency, and Sunderland didnt prove to Everton that they deserved it by capitalizing. Granted, Everton does have Howard and Howard came through big on two late stops.

14. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    I'm looking forward to watching this on Setanta and hearing what the fans at the game thought. Seems like no one outside of Goodison was able to see much of it.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I last played keeper when I was 14, so I'll defer. ;)

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It was more of an addendum than anything. ;)

17. EvertonChris

EvertonChris New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Highlighted how poor Sunderland are at the moment, we didn't play anywhere near the way we did against Arsenal and City.

Credit to Howard for keeping his concentration and pulling off the two big saves because for much of the much he was a spectator.

Anyway, three points is three points. Here's to antoher three at Wigan on Saturday to take us into the hard run of games in Feb.

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, have to disagree, the halftime replays were very clear, shot initially was going for the far post and the the ball deflected off the bottom of the defender's cleats and was redirected toward the near post.

Know why I'm sure aside from the video evidence? Because the far post is where you are supposed to shoot that ball with the keeper sliding over.

19. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These claims from announcers about how Landon's goal was "easy as you'd like" or a "gimme" are completely erroneous. When I first heard those descriptions I believed it to be a putback of a rebound or a cross off a volley or even half volley that was just slotted home. Instead I see a play where he makes a good run across his teammate, chests the ball down on the move, makes sure it doesn't get too far away or too close to him, and then volleys it underneath the keeper in rhythm from about 12-14 yards. There were a lot of elements to that goal and there was no misdirection from the deflection even necessary. It was better than at least half the goals I see in the EPL. Don't be so daft, wankers.

21. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Well, I continuously read how Donovan can't play in the "big pond" and how he lacks swagger, and he's too small and Lannycakes can't handle the rough stuff, etc, etc, etc. and how he wants to be a big fish in a small pond, yadda, yadda, yadda. and how he can't handle the pressure, ............................

Well, I don't buy any of it.

He can absolutely play in the EPL.

The end

1 person likes this.
  22. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came right in and made a difference on his loan. That doesnt always happen...even with great players. Sometimes players just cant find a way to fit right off the bat. This isnt the case with Landon.

He played decent at Beyern as well, but there were other variables in play as to why he wasnt brought on full time. He may not have unseated Luca Toni or Ribery, but really...did anyone expect that to happen?

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Perhaps the announcer that said "as easy as you'd like" meant that Landon made it look easy?

I don't know. The buildup was great, and Landon was more or less clear of the defense when he put it away. But that was because he read the buildup and made a great run to be in that position. It was good control off his chest, and a solid finish with his "off foot".

Solid goal, nothing to sneeze at, it wasn't world class either. But yeah, anyone who had any doubts about his ability to play top flight football has three games in a row to look at and realize that he most certainly can.