Landon & Timmy - Everton/Man Citeh 1/16/10 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Toolhead, Jan 12, 2010.

1. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Really not much of an argument is it?

2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, though I imagine in England a lot more people lean toward Friedel, Howard and Dempsey than do here.

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    I feel like long term this is a good idea, but in the mean time (the length of his loan) knowing the tendencies of teammates is huge in that position and Mandon can't come close to Cahill in that regard for a good while yet.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough - maybe they could just switch places sometimes to keep the D off balance? Is that something Cahill or Everton would do?

6. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible, Cahill and Fellaini switched back and forth several times last season. Personally tough, I love Cahill in his current position. He makes great runs and is an absolute beast in the air.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The word "arguably" puzzled me, until I remembered that Moyes has Landon for a couple more months. He'll likely be managing Tim Howard for several more years. He kinda had to slide that "arguably" in there. ;)

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with Donovan's newfound superb crossing, you want a guy like Cahill who can get on the end of those crosses.

Its going to be scary for other teams when Donovan finds his stride and is able to get open more to put more balls into the box.

9. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for a well constructed "against the grain" opinion

10. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh you said dollars. Yeah I guess we can take him for that. ;)

Note on Timmy though. I remember someone saying earlier in the year about him coming out and tearing a strip off the defence for no reason. He definitely seemed to do that yesterday. I remember City popping a ball over the defence to maybe Bellamy where Howard came out and blocked the shot, but Bellamy was offside. You then saw Tim come running out and thrashing the defence? Surely if they pulled the line up and caught Bellamy in the trap they did their job well enough.

11. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    That's only a little over £6 million. Fellaini came in for £15 and City paid £32 for Robinho.

But, they have more money than sense, as my grandmother used to say.

12. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's why I said it!

I'd be willing to pay £8m-£9m for him, but if $10m is good for you, it's good for me! :)

13. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    $10 million is nothing in the English league, that'll get you half a Stewart Downing.

14. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've been very shrewd in business terms in the last few years. Well, in terms of transfers anyway. Like nurturing a certain Wayne Rooney then selling him for £30m. Lescott costing £4.5m or so and going for £23m. Moyes is very careful with his money.

15. Defender #5

Defender #5 New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    1,987 miles from RBA
    i think it was the sloppy turning over of the ball that preceded it that he was yammering about if i'm thinking of the same play. besides, what GK doesn't do that

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's the play I'm thinking of a midfielder stopped tracking the runner and neither center back even flinched towards him. Offside, but if the pass is a half second earlier he's on.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    AJ sale was also brilliant. Best hoodwink trade of the year after the Spur sale of Keane.

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say you are way off. NFL combine record by Chris Johnson was publicized this year at 4.24. Deion ran 4.29. Do you really think LD is as fast as two of the fastest guys in NFL history?? I don't, solid 4.45-4.5 guy, which is still fast as hell.

19. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, if Moyes was not very happy with his play, he would not have used what was clearly a curtain call sub tactic,to reward him and further boost his sense of belonging and confidence.

20. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    LD being 4.45 would be impressive, but I've noticed that with soccer, it's running with the ball at your feet that's important. I doubt too many guys playing soccer around the world are in the 4.3 range, simply because the sport training regime is probably different from football's, but I don't know.

21. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This does show how important it is to go to the right club when you make the move. LD's previous stints in Germany were to top teams with veteran players (not to mention politics). My German friend still thinks LD would be a star at a mid-table team there and given how much more appreciated he is at Everton, I think he is right. Those clubs, that can't buy superstars, totally appreciate players like LD. for any American player I think that is a good way to start of a European career. Go where you can help, play well and establish your reputation.

1 person likes this.
  22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Correct me if im wrong but i believe it was Donovan, who had that clever first touch to get around a defender near mid-field that eventaully led to the Saha shirt-pull debacle for a PK.

23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes. One of his finer moments after I'd arrived (around the 20th minute).

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    $10m US is what MLS commissioner Garber said the opening bid should be last year when Donovan was loaned out to Bayern. (That's what MLS got from Villarreal for Jozy Altidore, and Garber's logic was if their best young player was worth that much, than the American face of MLS should be worth at least that.)

Donovan just signed a new 4 year contract before going on loan, so MLS would have a bit more negotiating leverage now than last year (when they held a 2 year extension option on his contract). I'm not sure just how much difference it would make, and I don't know if that $10m was something that Garber would've stuck to, or if that was a "get 'em barking" number. The thing is, MLS has been notoriously difficult to deal with recently in terms of letting marquee players move on. They're expanding the league both this season and next and want some glamour names to stay at home, and no one they have (apart from Beckham) even comes close to Donovan in that regard.

That said, where there's a will, there's a way, if the will is strong enough, at least. I'm sure there are things that Donovan can do on his part (perhaps even financially) to aid the negotiations if he really feels sure of this.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is also really hard to watch a guy on TV or even in person and really tell how fast he is without being out there playing with him.The two fastest guys I've ever played with, neither of whom was ever close to being outrun in a game, told me they were timed at 4.4 hand timed playing American football in school. So I figure with electronic timing which adds a .1 or so, 4.45-4.5 was fair.....