Landon on KNBR @ 3:25 Thursday

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by zfan, Nov 13, 2003.

1. zfan

zfan New Member

Jun 25, 2000
    San Jose
    Landon scheduled to be on KNBR with Ralph and Tom at 3:25 today (Nov 13). Apologies if this is duplicated but I didnt see it elsewhere. Doubtless they will miss the point and bug him about stuff like field goal kicking, but should be interesting!

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Sticky'd until after the interview.

KNBR is 680 and 1050 AM. For those out of town, their web site has a streaming audio feed.

3. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump

I caught this 5 minutes before the scheduled interview and immediately went to www.knbr.com and hit the "Listen Now" button in the upper left...thanks for the headsup, Blue Meanie.

DougO

4. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his first answer to the questions, Landon twice mentioned how amazing the crowd noise and enthusiasm were last Sunday- the second time in connection with how motivating it was as the game continued at the high level of intensity.

[work interruption...]

now they're asking the NFL Field Goal question...
    Landon: "I always wanted to try it. I did alright- hit a couple long ones. Nobody running at me."

re the Wizards- streaky, playing real well right now; "but we'll use the crowd, our momentum, and its going to rain again which will help us because the ball moves more quickly." "Force the other team to make quick decisions which works to our advantage."

[work again...]

asked about the community work-
    "Sometimes its hard work, but I like being around kids and its often a lot of fun."

Nice exposure for about 15 minutes.

DougO

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    after the break

I continued to listen to KNBR just to see if there would be any follow-up discussions regarding LD. Sure enough, the Razor goes on to say how impressed he is with Landon for deciding to stay here in MLS to help grow the sport. Mr. T said he does not foresee MLS ever becoming a major league in the US because the best players in the world want to play in Europe and he does not see that ever changing to this side of the Atlantic.
    Mr. T talked a little about how much money David Beckham made when he was transferred to Real Madrid.

They took a caller who used to live in Europe. The caller said that Landon should go over to Europe and play with the best.

Anyways, nothing new was discussed. I just thought it was cool that it was being discussed on sports radio.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: after the break

So nice that this caller knows what Landon should do. We should all be so enlightened.

I also think Landon has made it known that money is not his major motivation in life.

Anyway, props to Landon for talking about the crowd at Spartan and how motivating it was for them, especially at the end when they were tired. So, hey, all you fans that were there, you did your job!! We'll be counting on you Saturday night!

Also, props to Landon for making a joke of his receding hairline. He's become quite mature. :)

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    They also asked him about the effect of the short Spartan field on his game, and he said it wasn't really good for him. He likes to work with a lot of space, etc. Does anyone happen to know what percentage of his goals were scored at Spartan vs. elsewhere? I don't seem to remember him scoring that much at Spartan this year.

8. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Best line I remember from the interview was after Tom Tolbert asked Landon if he could sense LA feeling the pressure during the game on Sunday.

Landon: "After we got that second goal right before halftime, the LA players looked like someone had kicked their dog."

Nice.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: after the break

This is the only part that I heard on the car radio. I also took a negative on the way the two announcers were talking about soccer in the US, to the effect that there will never be that much money in the States to really support soccer and that it will always be in Europe. Landon should go over to Europe and get the big money. In other words, keep soccer over in Europe, because we've got our NFL, MLB and NBA and don't need to be bothered by that foreign crap.

10. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end... KNBR sucks.

Yeah... the thing we should always keep in mind is that Ralph and Tom and most of the others ACTIVELY DON'T WANT soccer to succeed. Their careers depend on baseball and basketball, specifically. They don't want a sport of which they will always be outsiders to displace, for instance, the Warriors as pro team #5 in the Bay Area. They would probably be just as happy if the Sharks would dry up and blow away.

Rick Barry is the exception. He's different -- someone who is secure in his place in the sporting world, one of the greatest basketball players in history.

What if the Quakes captured the imagination of the Bay Area sporting public? Or even to a less extent, if we were even to be successful and draw over 20k a game mostly from the existing soccer community? That crowd interest and participations hits directly at KNBR's monopoly and credibility.

The point of this ramble: It's nice to get some props from KNBR after "The Best MLS Game Ever," but we — the US/Bay Area soccer community — are basically alone in the sports world, with the exception of the Internet and a few assigned beat writers. We have to create our own buzz. Thank God the team and the crowd took one huge step Sunday, and may it carry over for two more matches.

11. KatieMae

KatieMae New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I started listening to KNBR during the Men's World Cup in hopes of catching some soccer tidbits and even now I will tune in occasionally espec if I read someone from the EQ will be on. What irritates me about Tom and Ralph is that before any soccer news or interview they must put their two cents in about how soccer will go nowhere in the US because of various reasons one of them being no scoring opportunities (oh yeah, tell the Quakes that) and goofiness along those lines. I say, cut the negative comments and just report the news or do the interview.

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KatieMae, Those two (like many other sportswriters and sports announcers in this country) have a vested interest in keeping up the negativism. They don't want soccer to succeed in this country, it's that simple. It's also a bit of whistling in the dark with an added bit of preaching to the choir.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp To hear the archive of this interview: click here, then click on the name Landon Donovan.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Goodsie -- listening to it right now. The only bad part so far... is when Ralph said he didn't think Frank had played much soccer...

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm glad I could help. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I noticed that too. Unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me with Ralph. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

16. zfan

zfan New Member

Jun 25, 2000
    San Jose
    Link to Landon's recent KNBR interview:

http://24.104.40.88/knbr/1113donovan.wma

They have the interview online, for those who missed it, its worth checking out. I give some credit to Ralph and Tom, they've come a long ways. Yes, they still have their anti-soccer bias and they truly dont "get it" but if you compare their attitude around this interview to interviews and comments from the past you can see some progression in their understanding and appreciation of the beautiful game.

I know many of us, myself included, harbored similar attitudes before seeing a game or two and catching the bug. Now FoxSportsWorld is the only sports channel I watch regularly. Instead of berating their ignorance and occasional derision maybe we should have hope for them, encourage their interest and perhaps one day they (they being the universal unwashed "they") will become converts too. Or at least they might figure out the offsides rule. One can hope.

17. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's happening slowly with the media. Most of the guys at my work (a sports radio station) came up to me Monday to rub in the fact that my beloved Galaxy choked to you suckers. They ALL knew the Galaxy had gagged, and one host actually watched it all and was almost as ticked as I was.

Tolbert and Barbieri are like people who kept telling others that radio would always be bigger than television as millions and millions of people ran out to buy a TV.

Let's not "praise" some media members' efforts to talk MLS too much. Do you "praise" anyone for pretending to like hockey and talk it on the radio? I promise you, most people in sports radio can't stand hockey anymore, and just feign interest.

Soccer will not only become on of the Big 5. It will surpass hockey as a Big 4 sooner rather than later. I promise.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, to an extent, but I'm not holding my breath, nor should anyone else on BigSoccer.

19. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've been waiting for 30 years.

But I tend to agree. It will happen and we probably won't even have noticed it until after it's way past obvious. The basic problem has always been giving people who are already predisposed to soccer something to hang onto. (There are way more people in this country who are predisposed to soccer than to hockey.) That's why the league needs to work constantly on quality. It's the number one marketing tool.

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    OK, I calculated LD's home scoring percentage this year since no one responded. (I'm having a nice little conversation with myself here.) Yeah, this is a little tangent on this thread, but I prefer to stay away from the LD thread because it has so much non-soccer stuff.

Anyway, he scored 41.7% of his goals at Spartan this year. He missed so many games this year, you'd have to factor in minutes at home vs. minutes away before you can make any conclusions. You'd probably also want to look at the 2 previous years, etc.

21. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Seems to me the problem with most so-called sports broadcasters is that they are terrified of looking like they aren't experts on any given sport. Listen to 2 minutes of any program on and you'll hear them ponificating on everything under the sun. (The majority of these idiots are bitter fools that were never quite good enough to make it beyond the high school varisty team. Barbieri strikes me as the exception to the rule, seems more like the jock sniffing team manger type "I could play but I have allergies, my corrective lenses might get broken and my metabolism keeps me this heavy.")

Anyway, it comes down to pride and laziness with most of these guys. They don't want to take the time to educate themselves and they certainly don't want to come across as uninformed. So, they employ the same strategy-marginalize the sport and call it a non-factor on the American sports scene.

Until enough people shout them down and show a true passion for soccer, AMERICAN soccer not the Eurosnobs, these fat b@$t@rds will keep doing what they're doing. Like it's been said, they have a vested interest in keeping the sport down. In some ways we the fans are to blame. We don't make enough noise.