Landon on cover of ESPN magazine

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by halfnorsk, Sep 25, 2002.

1. halfnorsk

halfnorsk New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
  2. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    . . . they just seem to write it better than the sorry excuse for journalists at the Chronicle.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yes they are allowed to use the verb "megged".

4. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    my girlfriend went to school with the donavans and says they lived ina big 2 story house and seemed to have lots of bucks. what's with the payless shoes ????????????

5. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    It'll make him sound more Brazilian, he had a tough life, you know, kicking around a sock full of socks as a soccer ball. Poor kid, just didn't have the money to buy copas or mercurials. He used his neighbor's garage door as a goal. He had to steal his first real soccer ball from a dog who was using it as a chew toy.

I don't think the Redlands is all that bad of a place to live, although i've never been there. I don't think that what the article said was entirely true.

6. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redlands is out in the boonies. Houses aren't as expensive there.

7. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Housing prices can vary widely. A fairly large two-story house, say 4000-4500 square feet, will cost about $1 million in the San Gabriel Valley (near Pasadena). In Houston, the same house is currently worth about $300,000. (And just 5 years ago, my family paid less than $180,000 for a 5100-square-foot house in decent condition, near Houston. At the time the Houston real estate market was horrendously depressed.)

8. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    Everybody's life is hard when you're 8.

So, what is Donovan really like.

9. phojotastic

phojotastic New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Little Rock
    Given his age, I imagine it changes daily. Most folks go through a lot of personal changes around his age. But more importantly, why does the question matter? Who cares what he is "really like"? What matters is how he plays on the field - and that's pretty darn good. Give Landon a few years to figure out what he is like.

10. cheriffe

cheriffe New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    southern ohio
    All of these post are really poor. You dudes need to get a life..........

To speculate on Donavans house based on some unfound "back alley" comment from some dork's girlfriend.

Talk soccer not CR*P!

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon makes me soft

12. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    This is soccer, stupid.

13. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Maybe, but I think they're trying to make him sound like an inner city basketball player or something. Funny that they should even being describing a so-called "tough" life.

ps- If this part of the article was true, ya know some other mag would have said it by now.

14. princesskofi

princesskofi New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Bako...SO CAL
    Sometimes...I just feel he's overated=)!

15. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    So, you're girlfriend went to school with them, and yet you can't even spell their last name correctly? It's D-O-N-O-V-A-N. :D

16. jon_doe

jon_doe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 19, 2002
    spelling aside, i don't really see what difference it makes how much money his family had when he grew up. he's one bad @ss soccer player, and to me that's all that matters.

17. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

True that. :)

18. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I'm sic of Landon "cover boy" Donavan. How about attention to other WC and MLS heros. Wheres Beasley, Freidel, McBride, Twillman? Plus ESPN will never put a foreign U.S. soccer player on their cover. Gotta be a white guy.

19. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

I understand what your saying. LD is a great soccer player, but he's becoming the next Mia Hamm. It was nice to see a MLS player get acknowlegded so well in the beginning. But now, all you ever hear about is him, and other great (maybe even better) soccer players are looked over. I even think some are better looking. :) Why not Pablo, Claudio, Frankie, DMB or some one like that?