Landon is on a tear

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HoosierToon, Aug 2, 2009.

1. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just seems like the stars are lining up for Azteca.......

Landon was very impressive last night against Barca (even leaving Marquez in cement a few times). Have you ever seen a NAT go on a run like this against top competition before?

2. arfabe16

arfabe16 New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    last night was a friendly...

Barcelona came to the US to make some big cash and that's about it.

And Marquez is hardly in top form. Those were his first minutes since April, and he probably won't start at Azteca.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marquez isn't the only one he torched.

4. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever since he threw the team on his back in SA, he's been playing out of his mind on both a NT and club level. He obviously wants one more strike at Europe and wants to prove his critics wrong. It is apparent that when he has something to prove he plays to his potential.

On an MLS related note, the Galaxy, in my humble opinion, are a frightening side. You have two high level players who are pissed at the world and want to prove their respective critics wrong.

5. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Landy is on fire. He is showing the world that the USMNT is team to be reckoned with at the highest levels. Landy keeps playing like this and the US will do well, very well in SA. No need to build for 2014, play the best players now. Another player will step up to lead for 2014, but this is Landy's team and his opportunity is 2010.

6. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, if there is anything that we all forget sometimes it's that an American never belongs on the field with the rest of the worlds players........:rolleyes:

Go snob somewhere else.

7. arfabe16

arfabe16 New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    No, it's not that.

Landycakes is a good player. Very good, actually.

But last night was just a friendly, which really does mean nothing to European clubs, particularly the big ones like Barcelona. That's why they started the players they started, including Marquez who hadn't played a minute since April.

8. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope Marquez sticks his leg out for a red card next time Landon burns him that badly, but then Davies runs onto the ball, ref giving the advantage, and fires one past Ochoa.

But thats in a perfect world.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1) If you're going to call out Beckham in public...........you sure as hell better bring it.

2) He's clearly looking to move to Europe, and that's a strong motivating factor.

People need to enjoy Landon in MLS this season, because it's going to be his last. Just my opinion. If anything, US fans underestimate this player and his importance to the USMNT. He's far and away the best field player the USMNT has ever had. All you need to know is this. Landon is the leading scorer against Mexico in history. Not among US players, but all players. And for that............he should be sainted.

10. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So something i thought was funny....when Donovan went on that run last night when he stole the ball at midfield and eventually got a good shop off...take a look at Pique's face...like "oh shit, its happening again..." :cool:

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's only one player right now on this team that has this certain quality. When he goes on a dangerous run...........the crowd all jumps up in expectation and excitement. Not just US fans, but an international crowd.

12. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    question...are you english? just wondering...

13. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Dani Alves really wanted to get Donovan's jersey after last night's game. Also, he complimented Donovan as a player very much:

http://goal.com/en-us/news/1110/maj...ales-daily-making-someone-feel-special-who-is

In that article, Andrea Canales portrays Daniel Alves (and Omar Gonzalez as well) as a classy guy, and he may just be my favorite Brazilian player now.

14. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy he's playing well but let's be realistic with what LD does for our Nats. He played great the first 2 games of the Confed when our collective team played poorly and conceded 6 goals and was thoroughly outplayed.

When his style of play is incorporated appropriately into the team, he makes us so much more dangerous...but he has to have other players around him playing well, as well.

When I look at our team in preparation for WC 2010, LD is the least of my concerns.

15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He exchanged jerseys with Pique after the game.
    (as well as apparently Alves too.)

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And goalkeeping

The only concern when it comes to Landon is where to put him on the field. As Bruce Arena so elequently put it; he's our best forward, our best winger, and our attacking central midfield player. That was true 4 years ago, and it's still true now.

17. cfcDrake

cfcDrake New Member

May 3, 2009
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! how do we get that started? St. Donovan, that would look nice on the back of his jersey don't you think?

18. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    Donovan is in great form u can tell he really wants to go to eurpoe! I think italy or spain are good fits for him!

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pep Guardiola:

“This was a great test for us and I also had a great impression of the opponent,” Guardiola announced in the post-game press conference. “I think Galaxy is the right way on the pitch. They have strong players physically, so for us it was difficult to make good one against one. The feet of Beckham always impress and [Landon] Donovan is so so fast. He created problems in the second half.”

The former Barca midfielder went on to mention that Donovan could “definitely, absolutely” play in Europe.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/s...praises-galaxy-remains-humble-for-next-season

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Donovan needs to leave MLS as soon as the MLS season ends. There is nothing left for him to gain/learn here in the U.S. England or Italy would be good locations for him with Spain being a great place for him to ply his trade.

21. BlueFlagWaving

BlueFlagWaving Red Card

Jun 10, 2008
    Honolulu
    I have to give LD props on his performance yesterday, him and Becks were the only two players that could complete a pass. They were pretty much the offense. The problem with the Galaxy is the surrounding caste around LD and Becks leaves alot to be desired. The defense for LA is pretty shaky although they did bunker down alright for the first half. Theres no reason why landon couldnt play overseas, i think right now his problem is really mental. I dont see him playing extremely well at any of the big three leagues, spain, england, or italy. Hes a little bit on the smaller side as far as Italy is concered and doesnt have the pace or pure athletism for england or spain. I would really like to see him go to Porto in portugal. I think he could do rather well there, his above average technical ability would be appreciated in a league like that, and his smaller size and lack of speed wouldnt be as obvoius. Plus he would most likely get solid champions league minutes were he COULD play against top class sides like United, Barca, ect.....

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said before the Confederations Cup that I was ecstatic about the form of so many players: Howard with Everton, Onyewu with Standard, Dempsey with Fulham, Boca with Rennes, Bradley with Gladbach, Davies with Hammarby, and Donovan with the Galaxy.

The scary thing is that almost every player seems to be steppin up even more: Davies to Sochaux, Demerit with Watford, Onyewu to Milan, Altidore is still improving, Dempsey earned the Bronze Ball, Howard may be playing even better, Feilhaber with Aarhus, and Donovan is playing as close to pure "world class" as any American ever.

The 5-0 loss had to piss these guys off. I know it is at Azteca, but Donovan and company could really prove a point on August 12.

23. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is I hope the everyone else is able to sack up and match Donovan come the 12th. I know him and Howard will be ready.

24. rtung

rtung Member

Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago, IL, USA
    "Lack of speed", what?!?

Which player are you talking about, again?

25. BlueFlagWaving

BlueFlagWaving Red Card

Jun 10, 2008
    Honolulu
    Dont get me wrong, LD is a fast player. Probably was our fastest on the field during the Confed Cup excluding Davies. But when you match him up against the kind of speed he would face in England and Spain, i dont think the outcome is favorable. Ive said it before ill say it again, its all fine and dandy if you can outrun Chivas Usa's defense, but theres a huge difference between that and the likes of Evra, Bosingwa, Cole, Alves, Ramos, Marcello, ect....

He would do alot better to play in Portugal were it wouldnt be noticeable.