Landon Donovan's missed PK [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EastBayGrease, Aug 30, 2007.

1. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Landon Donovan's missed PK

I realize you made this point sarcastically and that I'm inviting countless mocking replies to this, but I think that's in fact true, in a sense.

That entire point of the ritual Landon Donovan does prior to taking his penalty is to calm his mind and gain focus. To take out the screaming fans and remove any doubtful thoughts. People in this thread have mocked Donovan's pre-pk ritual as arrogant, but they are ignorant to it's purpose. It's a common technique taught in sports psychology. It's EXACTLY the same technique used by basketball players at the freethrow line...Jason Kidd says a prayer to his wife and kid and blows a kiss to the rim, Richard Hamilton bounces the ball three times on his right side slightly behind his body, Karl Malone used to repeat something to himself, I think Kobe Bryant says something to himself. All of these behaviors are the same technique- the application of a ritual to clear your mind in the pressure situation and make it just another free throw/pk. The technique is to use the ritual in pressure-free practice situations, so that you can temporarily regain that feeling under competitive pressure situations.

Donovan's ritual is he bends down, I think he grabs a blade of grass but I'm not sure, he says something and kisses his right wrist three times, then his left wrist three times (I think he's kissing the tattoos of humming birds he has on his wrist that are a symbol of his relationship with his wife...he said "hummingbirds only have one partner in their life" in an interview). The whole POINT of this ritual is to do the SAME THING. TO REPEAT THE SAME BEHAVIOR...i.e. RITUAL. However, Landon Donovan broke his ritual prior to this penalty kick. He kissed his right hand three times but he doubled the amount of kisses on his left wrist....The ritual is 3 and 3. I've watched it countless times.
    Do kisses=goals...sadly, no. But , the fact that he broke his ritual is emblematic of the fact that he was under serious pressure....You can see him aggressively kissing his left wrist a second series of times as if to say "COME ON!!"...Thus, clearly LD was not calm and collected like the two Pachuca players before him who flashed smiles at the ref/Joe Cannon. And thus, yes, he kissed his hand too many times because he was under pressure, and he missed the penalty because he was under pressure.
    Minute 06:16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Ujn6CkdLg
    Minute 06:50 to see just how horrid of a tournament-winning penalty it was from a team captain.

2. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He neg rep'd me too for asking what situations LD has achieved under pressure Profiled, what is wrong with you? This is a "forum", a place for open discussion. Discussion typically involves more than one opinion...it even sometimes involves critiques and debate! If you disagree, you can post it directly in the forum...you don't have to neg rep posters for disagreeing. Aosthed has made numerous thoughtful posts in this thread and there's no reason for you, especially a freak'n Mod, to neg rep him for disagreeing. damn.

3. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with posters such as EastBayGrease and aosthed (knocking-on-wood as I haven't gotten the neg rep...yet). We are talking only about the missed PK, so there's no need to bring in side stories and other examples and "agendas." I have always liked LD's play and thinks he's currently the best U.S. player (but that's another discussion). :D

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're making fun of my dead dog?

Go die in a fire, you filthy piece of shit troll.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, it wasn't the decision to leave BL that was the problem. The problem was the "come to MLS" part. BL was a bad situation at that point in time; getting out was the smart move. As a US fan, I think his career and the USMNT would have been better served if he had tried to go to a French team or a non Big 2 Spanish team.

"Off base" is much nicer than I would put it. :D

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. The bathrooms shouldn't have been locked. That wasn't Landon's fault.
    2. This is a new twist on "I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire." :D

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, that's actually an iron law in sports. The hated players are ALWAYS great players. And that's because a certain breed of fans tries to live vicariously through their teams, and judge their failures more harshly than the failures of their families, their friends, and especially themselves. And when the team loses, they react to the star players accordingly.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now this IS funny. In a thread about Landon missing a PK, a guy holding up Dempsey as a shining example of...something. :D

9. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right, this thread is about LD. You claim SL isn't important but you'd dug this deep to discuss it. If you didn't care, you wouldn't bother, unless you are a troll.

Yea, keep with the names buddy, that's reinforcement for your argument. Mos def. As said before by someone wiser than I, match facts with your agenda, if not you are wasting your own time.

10. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This tourney was well followed given its limits. It will grow and become more meaningful. It is not meaningless, except to a few obnoxious, stubborn fans who are getting left behind as society moves foward. LD won't be over this by the weekend. Bet on it.

keep saying it, it won't change anything, just prove your stubbornness.

I like it.

Security in Mexico....none in the USA....what colored glasses are you wearing? To hell with that stadium, he needed to take a leak. Mexicans threw more urine on the field than he naturally passed. Urine in a bag with batteries isn't a natural passing, unless you are a Mexican fan. It is easier to justify LD taking a leak than it is to justify why the fans threw it on their 'sacred' field.

It is only funny that you try these absurd arguments.

Beasley didn't cause an outrage for the same incident. Amazing the color of theses glasses that feverantly dog LD.

Actually, he was on one knee. The missed PK isn't the greatest memory or most defining moment, but he isn't forgetting about it next week. neither is BS I'm sure.

to quote, he panicked.

11. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007

Or draining the chupacabra as they say in Mexico.

12. ray of light

ray of light Member

May 14, 2003
    somewhere in this beautiful world.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK everybody is talking about LD's missing PK but, what about Abel miss?What about Vagenas own goal?
    Every soccer player can miss a penalty ( cf. Beckham in last world cup) and a lot more.
    About his ritual? He explained it in an article, he does it just to be more relaxed.
    Why all these hate? Let the guy play.

13. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I didn't have to "dig so deep." I'm here to tell everyone that thinks Donovan's pk miss somehow sums up his career to relax. I'm not on the superliga thread, I'm in a Donovan thread.

14. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think anyone is arguing that the missed pk "sums up his career". The phrase that was used in the original post of this thread and throughout is "a defining moment", as in, "one of many defining moments", as opposed to, "the defining moment".

IMO, the moments that define the trajectory of Landon's career are
    • Winning 2001 MLS Cup. Turning around SJ Clash/Quakes losing history(+)
    • Performance in 2002 WC (+)
    • Hiding from the ball in Leverkusen's CL match/Leaving Leverkusen (-)
    • Poor 2006 WC performance (-)
    • Missed championship-winning PK in Superliga final (-)

* I excluded Landon's 2003 and 2005 MLS Cup's because by this point Landon's athletic ability and talent level is far above and beyond that of the league.

For the record, I'm a big Donovan fan. This thread is merely to point out one of his limiting qualities...he seems to be shaken by significant pressure. He's an amazing athelete and a smart soccer player and I'm damn happy he was born in the USA. But he lacks competitive hunger, and thus, the desire to have the ball in pressure situations. The reason MJ, Magic, etc. want the ball under pressure is because they want to win so bad they can't stand the idea of a teammate taking that last shot.

15. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Ah...the urine bag incident...:rolleyes:, do you know that "Soccer America Magazine" already called this a myth ?, probably some tourist got some beer thown at him, and the story was blown out of proportion.

And if some proof was necessary, the original story was "only" urine, now the contents are being upgraded to "urine AND Feces"...:D

And this coming from a Landon hater, get a life guys; he missed the PK, big deal, I cant even remember the name of the french players who missed PK's at the world cup. and the "Super Liga" is just a mickey mouse tournament. to call the incident "a difining moment" is a joke.

16. jamesl

jamesl Red Card

Jul 16, 2007

I wonder how many will realize how magical a post yours was? :)

17. Nochum

Nochum Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did he not have the worst game ever? Pathetic.:mad:

18. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And, as I've said before, that's the biggest reason why a healthy Beckham is crucial to the Galaxy's success... he keeps Vagenas off the field.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes: :p

20. BobD

BobD New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Try This or this. Of course it won't be a defining moment in his career. Even if he scored a 2 goals and the winning penalty it would still have been a meaningless competition with an abject team facing an opponent gearing up in preseason.

21. 75 Cent

75 Cent Member

Jun 17, 2003

I think he gets too caught up in his pre-penalty ritual and doesn't have the focus he needs. I mean come on he's never been good at taking penalty kicks but he's always assigned to take them. He must be decent in practice when he isn't kissing himself before taking them. Eyes on the prize Landy, and the prize isn't your friggin hands.

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County

Yup, his OCD got in his way. He was too busy counting how many times he kissed and licked his fingers to concentrate on the PK...lol

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right, my bad - I'll add one now. :)

I generally figure that a thread started more than 12 hours after the end of a game is pretty open for discussion, and so never thought anything of this one.

I am more concerned with the mean spirited nature of the thread.

24. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again, this thread is implicating that the missed pk is defining of landon's inability to handle pressure, which, is very pertinent to his career. Again, he didn't just get his pk blocked, he panicked under the spotlight and hit a horrible spot kick.

No one is arguing that the PK was how Landon will be remembered. However, looking at the trajectory of LD's career as he's been handed more responsibilty on the field, IMO, that missed pk was symbolic.

25. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Adding an [R] does nothing when the title of the thread gives something away.