Landon Donovan vs Kieron Dyer

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by The Potter, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Great thread here. The 17th isn't that far away is it?

2. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Fact:

You're a knobjockey.

Fact:

He is an OK player, nothing more, nothing less.

3. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Who said anything about reaching the final? The guy was responding to the bizarre claim (although it wouldn't surprise me if some of the posters on here had actually deluded themselves into believing it was true) that the US got further than England in 2002.

The fact is that we got to the same stage and England had a vastly superior record in the tournament.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you keep believing that, saying your prayers, eating your vegetables, and wayne rooney will save english football i promise.

5. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne

Wayne Rooney may or may not turn out to be one of the world's best players. Currently he is one of the world's hottest prospects.

But irrespective of whether he turns into a true superstar or whether he ends up kicking around the lower divisions, he is already a far, far superior player to Landon Who?

Oh, and we don't need saving, thanks very much. We've got the richest league in the world, the best set of players for the national team we've had for a long time, and we're producing talented players who we can actually see performing on stages such as the Champions League because, well, they're actually good players. We don't need to indulge in wank fantasies about how good our players might be and whether they might be able to get a game for some second-rate team in Germany if they weren't a bunch of crybabies who ran back to MLS as soon as things didn't go their way.

6. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ok, which mod fell asleep and left the gate open at WR? I don't think anyone from England should be accusing anyone else of hype, you know what they say, people in glass houses...

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah the EPL is a great league, but you need as many foreign players starting in your side as possible to win it. the best set of players for your national team? whatever you say. BTW, the best individual players dont win, the best team does. I think we are doing pretty good for a bunch of no talent cry babies. especially considering this is our 5th or 6th biggest sport here. face it, the english(well the **************s anyways) our terrified of the usa improving every year in this game, they dont want to see us be any good.

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tell that to Manchester United, or Chelsea if they do it this year.

He's right.

Wait a second, get it right. He accused US players of being cry babies not lacking talent. You added that in all by yourself.

If the dreams of you and every other Sam's Army spaz but the reality is that you don't matter, we couldn't care less whether you get good or not. You're as important to us as Bolivia.

Having said that we do take great amusement in those fans that are obsessed with England and think the opposite is true. It makes for a lot of fun.

9. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Prenn got it right. Especially this bit:

I'd like to add that I'm not trolling, but sometimes the lack of perspective on here is simply staggering.

The US are a decent side who have improved greatly but still have a looooooooooooooooong way to go.

10. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Don't confuse the tabloid press with reality. You won't find many English fans indulging in the ridiculous over-hyping which some of our newspapers go in for.

Believe it or not, most England fans have a pretty reasonable idea of how good we are.

11. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And nobody over here thinks David Beckham is the best player in the world. Some used to but they were both taken out into the street and given a sound beating.

12. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just love for the US and England to be grouped together at the next WC (If we both qualify). Then this issue could be settled once and for all for at least 2-4 years. The winner of the game would have bragging rights until the next match.

The flame wars would be awesome. The England fans would have their panties all in a bind talking about the WC 1966 win and how we have never won a WC. The US fans would rant and shoot off about how well we did in the last WC. It would be top notch.

In the end it doesn't matter weather or not English Fans think we suck or we are really good. The only thing that matters is beating them at their own game a few time over the next 5-10 years. Then we will have some solid ground to back our claims on. I think on any given day our top 11 could beat their top 11 and vice versa.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont see you posting on bolivia's threads, i mean if you dont care why are you here? i dont recall myself posting on the england national teams board. and dont try to deny england is a hype machine. wayne rooney had a great euro 2004, and has never done anything at club level and suddenly he is the next pele. or how manure fans hail cronaldo as the next best player in the world. as far as landon donovan being nothing more than average, ill take an average player being our best field player on the worlds biggest stage, creating chances, scoring goals, and being man of the match in our biggest win in team history.

14. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What issue? The one involving the wet dreams of thousands of Sam's Army fans? Which issue are you referring to.

66? What relevance has that to England and the USA? Why would it even be a point of debate?

er... okay

What claims and why would beating England justify them?

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't see Bolivians starting threads comparing their dream boy to an England player or stating that beating England is a priority for them. If they did I'm sure we'd be there now. Maybe you should go an check out all the US obsessed threads in the England forum, you can't move for them

Thank God.

Project 2010 anyone? Threads comparing a good player in an average leage to a good player in a good leauge and finding in favour of the former simply because of his passport.... give me a break.

He's hardly had time to do anything at club level, give him two years. I think you'll find that it was Pele who compared Rooney to Pele.

If by manure you mean Portugese then you'd have a point, or not as they're Portugese and not English.

Hype.

16. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well,'prenn',who you you take 'Donovan or Dyer'!! :D Back to thread. :rolleyes:
    As a 'heads up' Donovan is in USA,like 'Beckham' is in England! :rolleyes:

Rember this: English Fan vs German Fan.
    German Fan: 'Sorry mate(English Fan) to have beaten you at the national sport that you invented(Soccer)!!' English Fan,replies, "Sorry mate to have betten you at your national sport(War),twice!!

I think Landon Donovan is a good/great soccer player!! I hope he proves it at the club level,and then in 2006 WC!!

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was landon donovan our best field player at the world cup?
    did he score goals?
    was he MOTM in our final victory of the tournament?

yes
    yes
    yes
    ---sounds like fact to me. but hey dont worry whatever you say to make yourself feel better about england not winning trophies in a long long time.

18. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gee i didnt realize stoke city was in America? but i guess your heading was spinning so fast, due to someone comparing an american to a player of english nationality, the country that invented this great game(lets have a 1966 revival!) to realize this thread was started possibly by one of your own.

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

You used the word 'menstrual.' That's a mighty big word for this thread.

20. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, England sure kicked Germany's ass in WWII.

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Closing this thread.

Seemed like a good subject from the abstract, but it's been in trouble from the get-go.

The fodder (ahem) discussed (for lack of a more appropriate word) is better off for World Rivalries or the Politics fora, but it's not really being taken very seriously here. That, or being taken off the topic's track like it has in other threads in the past.