Landon Donovan to West Bromwich Albion (unfounded rumor...)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by boin boing, Aug 1, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Landon Donovan to West Bromwich Albion

1. In the two seasons before last year, only 1 of 6 promoted teams bounced down. So I wouldn't assume that promoted teams are all but doomed just because of last season.
    2. I read that when WBA got promoted last time, they didn't overspend, their plan was to hope they could stay up, but really plan to bounce back in a strong position. The hope was that THIS season, they could stay up. We'll see.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not true. What are you doing?

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I would wait until there is at least one mention of Donovan with WBA on Google before I would even give this any thought.. As of now, not even one news site or website has it.
    Google hasn't done a new reading of Big Soccer yet, however.. ;)

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego

Agoos did trial there....I dont think that qualifies it has his "club" though...

5. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL

Who is that?

6. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    i think he means jeff agoos. they guy who scored the own goal against portugal in the world cup.

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Poor guy.. A long and good career and this is how people will identify him for years to come. :eek:

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sad but true.

Five MLS Cups, two Supporters' Shields, one Concacaf Champions' Cup, one US Open Cup, one NCAA title, one Gold Cup, a semifinal Olympic run, a quarterfinal World Cup, 134 caps and nine MLS all-star games and he's still gonna be "the Own Goal guy."

9. Americano e Orgulho

Americano e Orgulho New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    The US won the game, so I think that we'll eventually forget it. Never mind, I just realized that he had a horrible World Cup even without the own goal. So, yeah, he's the öwn goal guy." And Donovan is not going to WBA.

10. batfam

batfam New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Brandon, FL
    Give the guy a break! He has been a super hero for US soccer for a long time and I am not going to hold a couple of mistakes in the twilight of his career affect my judgement of his worth. I would recommend that you do the same.

My point is that if you are going to troll on the SJ boards, at least spell our captain's name correctly.

:)

Go Quakes!

11. adega1980

adega1980 New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    east vancouver
    i believe his name was comical ali

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

bill buckner had a fantastic long career...

13. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    youire right, he had a great career. i realize that. he just had a bad world cup, and got past his international prime. sorry to have offended anyone.

on a side note. i was clicking through all the pics of the goals scored in korea. i saw a picture of jeff, and thought to myself, when did he score a goal. and then i clicked on it and it talked about his own goal. i saw this minutes before responding to the post. i know what jeff did. that just stuck out in mymind at the time.

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everyone. Only idiots.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You remember correctly. Megson said at the time that with the money they got from the Premiership that year, they weren't going to waste it all in a crazed bid to buy as many players as possible and hope to stay up. There plan was to stabilize the club and lock up their best young talents (like Jason Koumas) and hope for the best, and even if they got relegated they won't have significantly increased their wage bill, and will be in excellent position to contend in Div. 1 the following year.

Worked like a charm. Now they plan on staying up.

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Good point. However.. It is hard to think of Bill Buckner and not think of a certain moment, despite the rest of his career.. I guess the two situations have some differences.. ;)

17. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Buckner was already cursed; he was Dodger scum before he was on the Red Sox.

18. boin boing

boin boing Member

Oct 30, 2003
    England

As i said it was a rumour that the deal was done, i just wanted to find out if you lads had heard anything.
    It was on www.wbaunofficial.com a few days back.

19. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

I am not seeing anything on this site relating to Donovan but I might be blind. Also there is NOTHING on Skysports.com's transfer window news and they tend to hit everything and anything in the rumor mill. So I would say this is a complete non-starter.

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't find a time stamp, but the "transfer" information (to Leverkusen from San Jose) most likely puts it at sometime in the last month or so, because that's when Leverkusen exercised the option on his contract. MLS said it was just a technicality, but it's easy to see how a French site creating a full list of Bundesliga transfers may not have cared about the details.

http://sports.tf1.fr/pages/V3/teamM...2&eventid=5811&groupid=27&site=TF1&Gener=true

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

If you did see it, how come it is not listed on any of the article on that site (the site allows one to scroll back all headlines).

Why don't you go on the site and find it. Otherwise, sounds like you are making this up (sorry)..

22. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This article: http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_ob...ootball--gary-s-still-shopping-name_page.html

says manager Gary Megson wants to sign one more international.
    "The Baggies boss has been one of the busiest managers in the top flight after drafting in SEVEN new players - three in the last 48 hours.

But after spending £6m on a trio of defenders, a couple of midfielders, a keeper and former Arsenal striker Kanu, Megson is hot on the trail of another foreign star."

Where is this money coming from? How could they possibly afford Donovan's transfer fee?

23. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this article (http://www.expressandstar.com/artman/publish/article_62312.php)says: "Albion boss Gary Megson will continue the overhaul of his squad this week as Paul Konchesky and Anderlecht striker Aruna Dindane became the lastest names to be linked with a move to The Hawthorns."

Still no mention of Donovan.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah.

IIRC he scored in a reserve match or friendly for a 1-0 win...and was promptly sent home.

And yes, he scored for the right team.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, he's had a number of very notable breakdowns in international play...the pass to Jamaica, the red at Azteca, the PK foul against SoKo. If it weren't for those, I don't think the own goal would stick so much.