Alert: Landon Donovan to retire at end of 2014 season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It brought tears to your eyes, didn' it.....;)

3. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been a huge disappointment to me to discover this last year or so just how absolutely classless Juergen Klinsmann is as a person, and how thoroughly mediocre he is as a manager [in leadership, in evaluation, in strategy & tactics of the game]. He will never match what Bruce's USA side achieved in 2002, and a player like Donovan is wasted on him.

Ghosting, Geneva, chad and 2 others repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    It appears that they extracted a quote from Klinsmann:

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/08/07/13/58/140807-landon-donovan-retire-quote-sheet

U.S. Men’s National Team Head Coach JURGEN KLINSMANN
    “Congratulations to Landon Donovan on an absolutely amazing career. He consistently raised the bar for himself these last 15 years, and he set a fantastic example for so many other American players to follow. As one of the best players in U.S. Soccer history, Landon should be proud of everything he has accomplished.”

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So "D" was the winner....;)

6. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that interview. It really means a lot to Bruce for Landon to be happy. Never thought the old codge would break down like that.

Berks, I was in the same situation as you---got caught in a gnarly, ugly mess at work, missed the entire press conference and just catching up now. Blah.

73Bruin, The Beautiful Gamer and Berks repped this.
  7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's amazing how he reacted to the fact that he feels Landon can now be happy again, it sounds like Landon was truly unhappy, can't be gun to live life knowing what you do for a living is making you profoundly unhappy.

After thinking about this for the past 8 hours or so, I think I finally get it, and am at peace. Sad to see him go, but very thankful for the glory he's brought to the team, the great plays and memories he's provided, and now also happy that he may be finally be able to enjoy it.

8. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely "D" since he couldn't even tweet his comment on LD. He has been tweeting about other players recently, but no love for LD. Really classless.

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We need to get an LD vs. JK epic rap battle's of history.

10. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [U.S. Men’s National Team Head Coach JURGEN KLINSMANN
    As one of the best players in U.S. Soccer history, Landon should be proud of everything he has accomplished.”[/QUOTE]

And this sentence alone is why Jurgen rubs Americans the wrong way. I don't know many Germans personally, but this is what we call in the United States a "chicken shit" move.

We all know that Landon Donovan is "The" best U.S. Soccer Player in our history, No one... and ask any former US team players, or present US team players, or the future guys, the youngsters who the greatest American Soccer player is and it's Landon Donovan 100% no doubt about it.

That statement above means Jurgen doesnt get us. There is an unmistakable seething hatred of this country's love affair for Landon Donovan in his eyes, and he just won't admit or concede anything to Landon. Jurgen Klinsmann's hate for Donovan is so weakly veiled it sickens me.

Can't imagine MLS is happy about this. Dempsey and Michael Bradley combined can't hold LD's Jock and now they have to carry MLS. ugh #nightmare situation.

one can't stop ugly-facing for the camera's..... the other is a ref-complaing under achiver who will never win MLS Cup because he is not "True" leader. he will always be the stand in to Landon Donovan leading man act.

11. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So if this retirement thing is all a ploy to get attendance figures up, especially for weekday games, IT WORKED! Just picked up a pair of tickets for tomorrow's game. Now like Berks and Maestro, I need to get caught up and watch the news conference and everything.

13. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen it all now! The Bruce actually genuinely showing raw human emotion, shedding tears like a man! Who knew LD was Bruce's emotional kryptonite? I had to watch it again just to make sure it wasn't a Bruce Arena impersonator!

14. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great tweet:

Geneva, TrickHog, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  15. sikesy7

sikesy7 Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Aug 6, 2012
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thought about it. Last night was Landon's World cup and he beat the Germans...

16. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit did Jim Buss Jr somehow get a stake in the club as minority owner? That would explain the spiral down to the tenth level of hell that you described?

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention, compare his quote to the others from us soccer. Notice a difference?

18. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys should go easy on JK, I mean he's just another great player from a long line of strudels in Bavaria! I mean he is behind Franz, Gerd, Matthaus, Rummenigge and the rest of the bowl of sauerkrauts! No one looks at the Bundesliga an thinks Ah ha! The house Jurgen Klinsmann built. He has his accolades but he will never be the cornerstone of an entire movement or league.

pichichi2010, NMMatt, Geneva and 5 others repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who don't have the time to watch the Arena interview video, here is a quick summary:

Arena: "I wish I knew how to quit you, LD…."

And then sobbing...

GalaxyOne, Ghosting, profiled and 4 others repped this.
  20. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    THE best Jurgen. He is to this transformative generation of US players, what Lothar Matthaus was to yours...

NMMatt, Suyuntuy, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  21. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get it done, Klein.

ShortyMac and Berks repped this.
  22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Does anyone really believe JK wrote that? It reads like it was written by a PR person from US Soccer.

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It 100% was, though JK approves it. Although he might have thrown in the "one of the best" part.

It's not a personal touch when it's on a quote sheet released by PR. Especially when it sounds that way.

pichichi2010 repped this.
  24. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Doesn't seem like LD's style. Need some time too. Maybe 50th anniversary of the Galaxy a Cobi, Landon and hopefully at least one more player.

25. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Bruce interview was unbelievable. I cried, happy tears. It was wonderful to see that emotion from Bruce, and how much their long association together has meant personally. Kudos to Kelli Tennant for a beautiful job, and I give the camera operator and Bruce credit for hanging in there too. He looked like he wanted to bail!

I think we will have more chances this year to reflect and comment on LD's legacy. Quite simply, for me, he is unforgettable and one of the big reasons I love this game. For lo these many years, my eyes have been glued to him, because the speed of play and thought, the magical touches, the blazing, glorious counterattacks, the unselfish plays - I have been there with him and I have enjoyed every single one of them. And I've been here on BigSoccer reliving most of those moments with you, my friends.

The day Landon Donovan signed for the LA Galaxy I rejoiced. I can't believe how lucky we have been to be his home for the best years of his career. If this team wasn't the favorite for the 2014 MLS Cup before, it has to be now. Landon's inspiration will live on in this game, and I feel privileged to have been a small, tiny part of it. Landon thanked me and all of us today. Thank you, LD, your legend will live on as long as we all live.