Landon Donovan in the Premier League

Discussion in 'Everton' started by strike, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strike

strike New Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone hear about this? Is there any truth to it, or just a rumor?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Re: Landon Donovan on loan to Everton?

Where would he play?

3. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

i hope not. he is NOT what everton is about. whiny ass punk.

sorry. just how i feel

4. Xenimus

Xenimus Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huh? What makes him a whiny punk?

5. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bad news gang but we're in really bad form right now.

I'd start Landon Donovan right in behind Saha over Cahill in a flash. Cahill has done nothing this year and could use the rest. Come to think of it, most of the club has done nothing with the exception of Saha.

Regardless of what you think about Landon, he'd fit in quite nicely with us and could help Everton.

I hope it's true.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're being a bit too negative.

Landon would add speed to the midfield that we really don't have right now. And would boost our counter-attacking capability.

Donovan's main downside is that he'll sometimes coast in games when there's not a lot on the line.

But given the level of competition to get a starting spot at Everton, and Moyes' ability to get good effort from his players, I don't think Landon will show a slacker attitude if he's with the Toffees.

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Landon certainly used to be a whiny ass punk. But he's matured quite a bit the last few seasons.

He's become a real leader for the LA Galaxy, and really isn't too whiny anymore.

He still is a bit of an ass, though. :)

8. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

right, so bitching and moaning to a reporter about becks makes him LESS of a whiny ass punk than he was?

sorry, he has been and always will be a prima-donna-attitude in a "not enough skill for that to be acceptable" performers body.

and this was not based on just other peoples descriptions of him.

I will allow that he may have matured some in years, but I am adamant in my belief that he is NOT Everton material.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckham's the one who came across as super whiny in that catfight, and deserved the criticism he got from Donovan.

Donovan did show a lack of balls, though, by going to the press instead of having it out with David in the lockerroom.

10. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, reading the book, it sounds to me as if the media was the only way anyone could get Becks' attention. Normally, I would agree with you but it was a unique set of circumstances. Apparently he tried to bring things up with Beckham in a civil way and Becks blew him off. In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. Granted some of his concerns were petty, like meal tabs, but the on-the-pitch stuff has to be dealt with one way or another, and I'm sure Donovan knew he would take some criticism for it.

Donovan would be good cover in the midfield, but he's no Cahill, even when Tim is less than 100% fit. IMO Landon would be an excellent option as a fill-in starter or a late sub, which we seem to be in need of at the moment.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How'd you like the book, Abra.

Was it a good read?

12. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, well written, good read. Slightly heavy handed maybe, but I do think Wahl made some effort to present Beckham's side and not demonize him either. Actually I think the book comes down harder on Tim Leiweke (sp?) And Simon Fuller than on Beckham himself. I did have minor problems with a couple of points of view in the book, but it actually manages to be both relatively evenhanded and compelling I think.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info.

I think I might go ahead and order the book at amazon.com, and then have someone in my family "give" it to me for Christmas. :)

14. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

If we only got Donovan I'd be pissed. He's not what we're missing at the moment, we need a Midfielder who can get recycle the ball and get us passing. We miss Arteta so much, all we're doing is lumping the ball forward and expecting our lone striker to control it on his chin and turn and score, just isn't going to happen. In the derby when we got the ball to Jo's feet he was dangerous and offside mostly. Still it's an improvement, he's a good finisher, just needs the service.

I wouldn't mind giving Donovan a chance if he came in addition to two other players. What I'm not looking forward to is every YA, rinsing our team if it doesn't work out. Seriously, you wouldn't know how Hull City or Fulham ever survived without Dempsey or Altidore.

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In a nutshell, this. Everton were a completely different team last season once Moyes moved Arteta off the wing and into the middle of the park.

Something I had been clamoring for from the start of last season.

16. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC

^ yeah. i dont even care about buying anyone. arteta and jagielka back would make a world of difference.

17. nocturnalscreams

Aug 3, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ok penciling donovan into everton's line-up is all fine and dandy, but does anyone actually have a source to this rumor?

18. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004

guardian had an article

19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ussoccer0829

ussoccer0829 Red Card

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

I came to this board to see what your formation is, and how Donovan would fit in, but I was disgusted with some of the comments like "Donovan isn't good enough to start on our team", "Donovan is a whiny ass punk", "Donovan does not have enough skill to be aloud to insult David Beckham". He definitely is good enough to start in your mediocre lineup. You guys aren't Chelsea or Manchester United. Realize that. Donovan is a world class player, He proved against the best two teams in the world how good of a player he is. Just because you now hate every american because we will face you next summer doesn't mean that you can say he is a whiny ass punk and he has no skill, because he is as good as any player that you have at the moment.

22. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

While I disagree with those comments saying he's a punk and all that... You can't base Donovan's quality just because of 2 games at the Confed Cup. I don't know why americans put so much stock in lone matches (something I have noticed reading this forum), everyone knows in football performing well in a few matches means nothing in the long run, you need to be consistent and perform regularly at a high level.

23. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thing is, he's been doing it all year. A lot of Americans pinpoint those two matches because of who the opponents were, and the reaction they had afterwards. Pirlo in 06 complimented Donovan too after their WC game.

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Because he plays in MLS and CONCACAF so it's hard to know how well he's going to do in Europe. So those rare competitive international games against quality opponents are the chance to compare him to the best.

25. EvertonChris

EvertonChris New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Club:
    Everton FC

Granted I don't get to see him often...but i'd more than welcome Donovan at Goodison.