Landon Donovan..... I ain't mad at ya.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TequilaJoal, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ultraprime

ultraprime New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Plano
    The routine itself doesn't have anything to do with him missing. Maybe your avatar should take off his coke-bottle glasses to help with his reading comprehension (and yes I know the pics source).

I'm saying the routine is silly looking and draws extra attention to Landon so when he chokes like he did last night and almost did (bailed out by a do over) in Gold Cup he looks extra ridiculous.

Well, for that particular match, given the fact their team LOST because they either blasted it over the bar of lofted a puff pastry to the keeper, yes, all their prior work that day goes out the window.

There isn't much excuse for a top flight professional soccer player to not convert a penalty.

Look at Buddle's PK, that's how you do it boys and girls. No silly routine, just back up and put the bulge in the old onion bag.

2. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are going way too hard on LD. He had to miss sooner or later and I knew he was going to miss that for some reason, I knew it with Vagina, and X. I'll give LD the benefit of the doubt since he has never missed a PK since I can remember and he single handedly took us into 05 MLS Cup.

BTW Buddle is a slow P.O.S. Klein gets a pass the rest of the year, loved his Pk.

3. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    It's not what you do before striking the ball that matters,what happens after is much more important. Whatever makes the shooter most comfortable before the shot is what he should do, rather than submit his prep plan to you for approval.

A lot of big-time players have missed penalties, so clinging to the notion that it somehow separates the men from the boys is simply out of touch. It sounds like a good standard to justify your view, but I've seen Henry, Zidane, Baggio, Larsson, Platini, Becks, Gerrard and several other big names miss a penalty so why would Donovan be immune?

Further, Donovan has prepped that way for most of the PKs I've seen him take . . . when have you seen him miss before? I can think of at least 10 conversions from the top of my head to this one miss. He can do a cartwheel if he wants, as long as he converts on the same ratio of success I'm fine with it, and I'm guessing he's fine with your opinion too.

4. Beckhamania

Beckhamania New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Dublin, CA
    Agreed. I'm pissed that he miffed the penalty that would've won the game for us, but the more I think about it the more I begin to not fault him as much. He did have a decent game last night, even if he looked non-existent at times. The second half everyone played much better, including Landicakes.

The fact of the matter is, everyone misses and no one is perfect. Even I tend to hold LD to higher standards then maybe I should, and I'm going to try and lower my expectations a bit, but he's a PK king for the most part and this was one of those moments he needed to focus and step up. I appreciate his coming out (no pun intended ;)) and saying he messed up but it's a bit too late for sorries. We needed him to be the leader he's supposed to be and we needed him to come through, and he didn't.

But should he be vilified for that? I say no... and trust me, that hurts me to say. ;)

5. imadork

imadork New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach
    Can anyone tell me what Landon Donovan sniffs right before he starts the game. I notice when he is standing there ready to start he has a little white something in his hand and he inhales/breathes it in right before every game and then throws it down.

I thought Pavon was the asmatic who needed an inhaler.

I love Landon! He is a true professional! But, if he has something that makes him perform better during the games, I want to know what it is and can I get some before my games?

6. Beckhamania

Beckhamania New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Dublin, CA
    Are you accusing a pro athlete of ingesting performance-enhancing substances? The shock!! ;)

I doubt it's anything like that. It's probably some of his patented "Prima-Donna Powder". I jest.

7. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I just want to praise and honor you -- nay, I wish to exalt you to the heavens -- for not writing...

"If the house is packed, the Galaxy wins the match."

... which is the most excruciating sort of sports lingo in the history of the world.

8. ultraprime

ultraprime New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Plano
    Which in this case was float up a horrible shot after a silly pre-kick routine.

He can do whatever he wants before he takes the kick, no doubt, but I'm not the only one that thinks he looks silly. A quick Google of 'landon+donovan+penalty+kick+routine' gives me, well it gives me this thread first of all, which I must say is pretty nifty, but it also gives me links that refer to it as:

"His absurd pre-penalty kick routine was perhaps the highlight of the evening"

"Let me quote one of my fellow SI.com writers, who called me at halftime and shall remain nameless: "Landon Donovan is the most ridiculous penalty taker in the world.""

AND

"is there anything more irksome in U.S. soccer right now than Donovan's pre-penalty routine?"

Again, I know he's not the only big name to blow a PK, or to blow a PK to win a competition, but when you are a big name player and you blow a PK to win a competition, it will be commented on. And when you perform a goofy looking routine before you choke, well...

His first attempt during the Gold Cup final when he did the same thing; silly routine, weak PK attempt.

If he did a cartwheel as part of his pre-kick routine, that might actually be impressive.

I'm sure he is, that's all it is.

9. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    The Gold Cup pk resulted in a goal, however weak the attempt was.

More irksome is Beasley's perpetual "WHO -- ME?" look whenever he receives a ball. That irks me more than what Donovan does before scoring on penalties, maybe SI.com could look into that.

Doing a cartwheel would be impressive if he scores, it's not about what happens before the ball's struck.

10. ultraprime

ultraprime New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Plano
    You're right; I was getting my Landon PK's confused. His saved cream puff lucky do-over was against El Salvador.

He took a lot of PKs in Gold Cup so they all start to bleed together, what with the unifying routine to make them similar. :D

11. TOJAS

TOJAS New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Canada
    What is Donovan like? See, he struck me as arrogant, but that's unfair and I know it--I don't know much about the guy.
    Just...he just seems so irritatingly arrogant, like thinking he didn't really have to try that hard and it would sail in...and what he said about trying to be detatched--a few healthy nerves can be a good thing, acatually! Did he think you play better if you don't really WANT to win??

But all this could be (probably is) just the frustration of losing when it seemed like it was all over but the cheering...projecting anger onto Donovan.

Wonder if, after the pathetic PK, someone came over, put their arm around his shoulder and offered him a lifesaver? ;)
    (Happy Days reference...does that make me old? :rolleyes:)

12. DogmaticFtbolFanatic

Apr 25, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was going to say the same thing...I don't ever remember Donovan missing a PK for us. I don't blame him. Nor Xavier....wonder when he last took a PK.

I have a new respect for Klein...not just for the bicycle...he played a whale of a game. Good to you Chris.

13. theleftside

theleftside Member

May 29, 2007
    Yuma AZ/Oxnard CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really dont know what to say anymore.

Yesterday was a day of heartbreak for me. :(

Landon, I still love you man.

14. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what goes on Donovan's mind during a game. But I can tell you this: I have seen him in person more than once. The first time I saw him was in March 2007 at the HDC after I learned of LAG practice schedules via the Internet. I never had a computer until recently, and never surfed the Net until recently. This is to explain why I didn't go sooner or become a poster here sooner.

That day, because of the flood in Field 6, they moved the practice to Univ. Field 1. I brought a USMNT Donovan #21 jersey and a USMNT ball with me. After practice, Cobi was the first one to walk off the field. He signed my ball when asked. Donovan was one of the last ones to leave the field. I had heard that Donovan was arrogant before, so I was not sure how to approach him for his autograph. I began walking along the chainlink fence along the field. Donovan was walking on the other side.

He must have seen or sensed my uncertainty. He made easy for me by approaching me first and asked me if I wanted my USMNT jersey signed. He was so smart. Seeing his name and #21 on the jersey, he signed it and wrote the # 21 inside his "D" so that it would match the jersey. We had small talks and he also signed my USMNT ball. This time he wrote his current number, which #10, on the ball.

I went to another LAG practice and several USMNT pratices after that. Donovan never refused a request to sign anything. There were times when Mexican fans asked him to pose in pictures with them. He never refused anyone.

From what I saw, Donovan is a good man. It hurts me to hear people call him names. I challenge anyone to tell me or to find me a better rounded US soccer player than Donovan.

Great players such as Maradonna, Baggio, Beckham did miss PK's. Donovan is only human.

15. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's smelling salts. It gets his brain to wake up and focus.

Wish he'd done it before his PK. :(

16. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Landon! He is a true professional! But, if he has something that makes him perform better during the games, I want to know what it is and can I get some before my games?

====================
    It was a voodoo moves,voodoo powder.:D

17. imadork

imadork New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach
    I love Landon Donavan. And, agree with the earlier post where someone pointed out the team played just as well when Beckham left. Donovan is a class act.

I also agree his pregame and prekick routine is absolutely ridiculous and frankly makes him look a bit crazy. I keep waiting for it to get longer (as I think it actually has....there is more finger kissing than I remember before). We will know he has gone overboard when we see him start walking onto the pitch backwards carrying a four leaf clover in one hand and and a rabbits foot in the other with a clove of garlic around his neck, all the while chanting something, while someone is waving burning sage?

18. imadork

imadork New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY!

It never occured to me it may be some type of ritual! LMAO

19. imadork

imadork New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach

I agree. Dont you have to use who you have already out there? And, you cant use the same guy twice, right?

I think he did better than anyone else who had not already taken a shot would have.

20. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Happens to the best players in the world. I have never missed a penalty, and my routine is four steps -hesitate to make the keeper move, one step shoot. It wasn't the best penalty, but even a bad penalty is hard to save.
    At the end of the day a shootout is only cruel if you lose, but it is pure luck. Adrenalin and such play a big part and really it is hit and hope, hence the blasts down the middle you see all the time.

21. imadork

imadork New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach
    LOL....no, that's why I think the fact he does it is so odd. Nobody talks about it yet before every game he does it.

It has definately peaked my curiosity about the guy given the ritualistic stuff he does.

Maybe it is the "scent of a woman" or something. (before you go reporting me for bad language.....it is the name of a movie people.....i'm not being R rated....that's still PG)

22. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Couldnt agree more. Randolph, Gordon and Buddle need to go if LA is to build a team for the better and the future.

...and just to go on about Randolph, he has to be one of the worst MLS players this year, it's painful. Almost like a blast from the past and watching Mike Burns play for the US national team all over again....

23. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landy to Randy

Hey Samba, this is most ridiculous post I have read in the last 2 days. You sir/or madam are a trolling twit who knows nothing about evaluating talent.

or are you on here to post your propaganda about how bad you say Mike Randolph is in hopes that you can somehow sway our bozo the clown reject GM Alexi Lalas to trade him to NYRB?

I think not... just because your stupid team gave up on marvel wynn doesnt mean you can have our mike randolph.

I remember a 5-4 loss to you guys a few weeks back and the only good thing about our defense that night was mike randolph, ask dane richards, or van der berg. he shut them down.

Any Galaxy fans that are seriously in agreement with a troll about Mike Randolph are fools. you are self loathing hater of the highest order.

And never take sides against the family.

24. imadork

imadork New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach
    Re: Landy to Randy

Randolph and Harmse have been the two best "rookies" the Galaxy has put out there.

Of course I am loyal to Jazic as he is my favorite left back, Albright my favorite right back, Xavier is a GREAT center, and I think they should have kept both Ehemilu and Tyrone.

If you look at what the team has left to work with (not even taking into account the last 3 or so games are Randolphs first ever MLS games) RANDOLPH IS A KEEPER!!!

I am not sure about coaches. I didnt see why they got rid of the last one when the Galaxy was winning. But, when you look at Yallop's face recently, you dont see worry about his job you see ABSOLUTE caring for the team and a desire to win.

I am not new to being a soccer player or fan. I used to go to the Colleseum to see Pele and George Best and Bobby McGlinton (sp?) when the Cosmos were here. But, I am new to the board, and definately new to the behind the scenes politics of the coaches versus managers stuff.

I cannot believe this mess is all Yallop. Why would a coach trade so many players? Doesnt the coach want them to get used to each other and know each other? Yalllop has a look sometimes like his hands are tied. Like he isnt really the one calling the shots. For some reason I think Yallop is doing the best he has with what he's got.

25. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Re: Landy to Randy

I’ll leave the name calling to the professionals.

First let me say LA lost a heartbreaker of a game, my throat is still sore from going bananas after the Klien goal….because the truth is I am a MLS fan before I am a Red Bulls fan, that’s how much I love my American soccer.

So, how dare you make those nasty assumptions.

Now, I stand by my original post and will offer you but only one reason, because frankly, it’s all you deserve coming off the way you did with no explanation of your own, just name calling nonsense.

Here it is, Marvel Wynn and Mike Randolph are of the same caliber and type player. The same reason I’m glad we got rid of Wynn, is the same reason LA should get rid of Randolph. Two defenders with the speed of a gazelle, and the touch of an elephant.

Just awful, if you cant see that then I guess it’s safe to "assume" you cant reason and have a fair debate about talent and should just continue with your rant

…and oh by the way, Landon is one of my favorite players so I watch every LA game I can on my MLS DirectTV package.

….or maybe I really am bias because I cant stand Yavapai, they were always a big rival when we went up against them….ahh never mind, you wouldn’t understand anyway.