Landon back to Everton? Yes, it's confirmed.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good news for Liverpool! :cool:

2. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    He couldn't play Liverpool anyway as soon as the game was postponed. He wouldn't be going back early if it wasn't.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer, I wanted to see Enrique take him on.

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon turns 30 in March and is under contract for two more seasons with the Galaxy (Beckham for two more as well, Robbie (reportedly) only for one). That would make him available on a free just shy of his 32nd birthday. However, his contact (like Beckham's and Keane's) is very expensive for the Galaxy and there's substantial question whether LAG can afford their roster after this season. Robbie is likely gone but there's no way they will dump Becks before they dump Landon.

I say there's a 50/50 chance that LAG need to move Landon next winter and Everton are a logical choice.

5. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, why would they "dump" their best player when he's on a DP contract? LA is not going to be "dumping" Landon or Becks anytime soon.

I think what I'm trying to say is this:

There is no substantial question whether LAG can afford their roster after this season.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    regardless of whether Galaxy need to move Donovan or not, if he does move it'll be to wherever Moyes is coaching, and that's not guaranteed to be Everton. He's been there fro 10 years and worked miracles. For me, he's behind only Ferguson and Wenger. If Redknapp takes the England job, there'll be a vacancy at a club with resources and a top squad that works to a tight budget. Moyes brings the best out of Donovan and he's definitely smart enough to know that.
    If Moyes is at a club that has $ to make an offer and there's only 12-18 months left on his contract, I'd say Galaxy sell him and he does 2-3 successful seasons in the EPL before coming back to MLS for an 18 month-2 year swansong.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah I'm not buying it either. These same reasons exist every year, and there is always another trophy to win. If Donovan wants out, then he'll leave. After giving his 11 prime seasons to MLS, it's up to him and it's as simple as that.

I say stay in LA, enjoy the sunshine and take it easy. Win some more trophies, set the MLS goal record. Stay healthy and don't retire from the US for another 6 years or so unless you're forced out by a young crop of US stars.

8. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure Donovan would be a good fit at a bigger club (e.g. Tottenham has a pretty darn good midfield now) and he would not be a slamdunk starter at a bigger club. Everton's a good fit but at 30 years old....?

9. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know where you get this. LA is committed to 3 DPs, and they all cost the same against the salary cap. So even if they "dump" any of the existing DPs, they are sure to replace them. There are going to be two issues that determine whether or not LD leaves after this year:
    1. Does he want to go badly enough to force the issue?
    2. Is there a club he wants to go to that is willing to pony up the cash to get him?

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    3. Does LA feel the need to "cash in" before Donovan's contract expires.

One could argue LA doesn't need the money................

11. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, of course... maybe I should have rephrased my second item to say something like: "is a club where LD wants to go willing to pay LA's asking price". Whether or not LA feels the need to "cash in" largely depends on how much money we're talking about.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Huh? Do you mean they'll have cap problems, or that they're going to be money losers?
    2. If it's the latter, well, they just signed an enormous local TV contract. They can afford it.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bale moves to Barcelona over the summer, Landon would find a role. But you're right, Spurs' midfield is pretty great right now. With Moyes at the helm, maybe Donovan would take Lennon's spot.
    Landon has been pretty amazing in two stints. Better than I thought he would be. Chelsea is a bigger club, and if they were choosing based on merit rather than star power, he'd start for them; he's exactly what they need in terms of the type of player he is, as well as a high quality player. (This would be similar to his coming in to Everton last time, where he was really the missing piece that made Everton arguably the best team in England for 2 months.) Landon wouldn't start for Man City, but he'd be in Fergie's rotation at United.

I was initially resistant, but Landon has made a believer out of me. He can play (almost) anywhere.

Ironically, Spurs might be one of the few clubs anywhere he would NOT start.

14. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But MLS gets a piece of it, right? So really isn't the question for MLS, and not LA?

And any $$$ is better than 0 which is what he could walk away for in 2013.

15. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Fwiw, here's an article on a 19 year study that ranks Ferguson and Wenger 1 and 2 in terms of managers who get the most value from their buys.

In a nutshell, studies suggest that somewhere b/w 70-90% of where teams finish is due to how much they spend on players. Somewhere in the remaining 20-30% is how good your manager is. And some managers - Moyes is one of them - are better at buying players than others.

Here's their top 20:

[​IMG]

http://transferpriceindex.com/2012/...ersus-transfer-expenditures-an-mxir-analysis/

H/T to Leander Shaerlaecken

16. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting. It's also interesting in that many of those on the list can afford to take risks that Moyes can't. I'm not trying to slight their prowess, it is damned impressive but getting more bang for your buck when you absolutely have to is much more difficult. I think that's one of the many reasons I love MLS so much. Dollar for dollar it's got to be one of the best leagues in the world.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the pressure JK is putting on his guys to play at the highest level leading to the WC will also factor in. LD directly commented on that this past week.

18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Somehow I don't think LD would have anything to worry about if he stayed in MLS full time.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    With the exception of Robbie Keane I felt Benitez was a terrific judge of talent. I also think he was underestimated as a visionary in player rotation.

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Landon move to a club where he would be at most a 70 minute sub/league cup player?

I love Landon and he does well for Everton, but Dempsey and McBride played very well for Fulham as well. It doesn't automatically follow that they would be as impactful at a bigger club, the examples proving this point are too numerous to mention.

21. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon would be competing with Lennon at Spurs. Landon is categorically a better player than Lennon.

22. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    lmao :)

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wouldn't play much over Lennon, I can tell you that. He would be really nice for them as a depth player, but Lennon offers more for them the way they are currently playing.

25. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon is very inconsistent, has an immature football brain, and is often injured. All he has over Landon is the ability to run at players and beat them with his dribbling. Donovan is a better player in almost every facet.