Landon back to Everton? Yes, it's confirmed.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jond, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stu world class.....?

2. onlyifvickplayedsocr

Dec 30, 2004
    Speaking for myself. If I was set for life, money wise, I would have a really tough time moving from LA to Liverpool on a long term basis. If I were LD I would feel like maybe I have nothing to prove. These 2 things alone maybe enough to keep him in the MLS. If England weren't so f-ing miserable in the winter maybe I would think different. Spain or Italy, well, now that's a completely different story...

3. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    your words not mind

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's really good but it's CONCACAF for a lot of those.

Both players are world class and played for the biggest clubs in the world.

Milan, Man United, Real Madrid.

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    it might come down to style of play. Landon donovan can argue that he is one of the top 5 run and gun players in the world. the EPL and concacaf games cater to his game. But would he be starting for barcelona? i myself can't really say. but, what i can say is that it would be a joke if no super-class teams offered money for him because the guy is a defensive workhorse and a big team player to go along with what he brings offensively. not to mention his track record of two different times revamping Everton while on-loan. just looking in-league- Manchester United, Arsenal,etc. should be drooling for him to help their team but they are more likely looking for the next over-hyped local player to fulfill the "buy an overpriced english talent and play him" to appease the crowd.:D

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Most of the games played by England are against relative minnows, too.

Out of Beckham's 17 goals, he has one versus Macedonia (in 2003, when they were ranked about #100 --by comparison, Cuba was ranked around 70 back then), one versus Finland in 2001 (ranked around #60, by comparison, Guatemala was also ranked around #60 back then), two against Greece in 2001 (ranked about #48, by comparison, Honduras was in the #40-#45 range that year), one versus Liechtestein in 2003 (ranked #178, by comparison Cuba was ranked about #70 then), one versus Slovakia in 2002 (ranked #52 at the time, by comparison Costa Rica was ranked #33 in the same month), another one versus Macedonia in 2002, and another one versus Wales in 2004, teams ranked about #100 and #50 respectively (Haiti was about #80 in 2002, Jamaica around #54 in 2004).

Eight out of 17, nearly half, goals versus minnows in qualifying for either the Euro or the World Cup. Teams no stronger than the teams in CONCACAF the USA was playing just at the same time.

As for Ronaldo, 18 of his 32 international goals were against teams of the caliber of Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Luxembourg, etc.

Beckham scored one goal versus Argentina (penalty), one versus Croatia (in a friendly). His only goals versus a Top 10 Rival. CR has scored versus Netherlands and Argentina (friendly), that is two goals against Top 10 Rivals.

Donovan has scored versus Brazil and Italy (penalty). Also, two goals versus Top 10 Rivals. But both were during an actual competition (2009 Confeds Cup).

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching Donovan's stints this year and last at Everton, I have to think his influence at practice is as important as his in-game performance. Both years the whole team stepped it up in terms of speed of play. Having a Donovan buzzing around the whole practice would do that.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He should be player-manager for Everton.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea seems like the squad that is more desperate for a LD player-manager type. ;)

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

And he'd be awesome there...sad part is, Chelsea could afford him too! :)

11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but those players are at a different level. It's like comparing two different things in two diff worlds.

12. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are free to think what you want, but the whole point of that post was to demonstrate that those players are not at a different level when it comes to production on an international level. Don't let actual facts get in your way though. I'm aware this is not the NT forum, but thought I couldn't resist.

13. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right but it's still a little silly.

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Those are great stats but I dont think you can compare Concacaf vs Uefa players. Not because one continent is better / weaker than the other but its just not accurate to compare. Otherwise Robbie Keane's amazing international strike rate of 53 goals in 114 games means he is beyond the level of Messi or Ronaldo.
    HOWEVER, it can be used to show that Donovan is a pretty solid player who can play with some of the best and I think that is the point you were trying to make.

15. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    They are at an entirely different level. And it is obviously a level that you have zero ability to comprehend.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Internationally, there's no doubt in my mind: Robbie has done more for his country than Messi and Ronaldo put together have done for Argentina and Portugal.

It has little to do with individual skills. You can have great skills and still be a nothing in your country. You can be a rather mediocre club player and still deservedly a hero.

It has a lot to do with how much heart you put into it, IMO.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    More coverage about LD's loan, this time from Toffeeweb:

After Everton’s recent ‘success’ of a six-match unbeaten run, which includes victories over the nation’s two biggest spending clubs, David Moyes should be looking at what has changed from earlier in the season.

Personally, there are a number of points that Moyes should be looking at and trying to keep stable.

1. Landon Donovan’s return. Donovan has started in all nine games since his return and despite not yet scoring, he has created seven goals out of the total eleven goals that Everton have scored in that time. That’s an astonishing total of 63% of Everton’s goals have been made by Donovan since his return. In those nine games, Everton have won four, drawn three and lost twice. That’s an average points total of 1.66 points per game which would put Everton 7th in the Premier League table, above Liverpool over the course of the whole season.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/11-12/comment/fan/20487.html

18. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS ran an article shortly before Donovan took to the pitch showing the stats from his loan in 2010. The numbers really are astonishing and now having duplicated the success I think it's tough to cite many other factors. The guy wins everywhere he plays and clearly has an impact on teams he plays for. I don't know if it's some sort of "x factor" or what, but it's quite remarkable, really.

Here's that piece from mlssoccer.com - http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/16/armchair-analyst-ld-difference-maker-everton

19. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don't know whether Donovan could have forced MLS' hand if he complained in public. Given all the bending over backwards (and bending rules) MLS and the Galaxy have done for Donovan, I'm not sure a public fight would have turned out that great for him.

Either way - Everton somehow came up with close $10 million for Jelavic. That's got to be close enough for Donovan to be able to push for a move if he wanted to. Buddle was available on a free.

If I had $10 million and could have Buddle AND Donovan, or Jelavic, I know what I'd choose.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try like 4 with add on's to 6.5. Also, add that the sell of Billy back to Russia allowed for such a move.

21. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    10 million dollars is 6.3 million pounds.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    pounds.................

ESPN reported the deal was close to 8 million pounds, although terms haven't been disclosed.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...agree-nikica-jelavic-fee-with-rangers?cc=5901

[Note in that article that West Ham had a 7 million pound bid rejected.]

And yes........most of that money reportedly came from the sale of Bilyaletdinov to Spartak for 5 million pounds.

I imagine Everton may not have the money to sign Donovan after that. But if they had offered the Galaxy 8 million pounds for Donovan (which would be ~12 million dollars) instead of spending the money on Jelavic..........they might have gotten their man.

Now, with Pinnear coming in & Osman returning to health..............one can argue what they really needed was a forward like Jelavic, as opposed to a winger like Donovan. That's especially the case with Saha leaving.

Would Everton love to keep Donovan? Sure. But when you have the finances of a club like Everton you have to grab what you need before you grab what you want.

23. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time for LD to enforce the Beckham Rule.

No, not that one, the one where the loan gets extended when he wants it extended....

24. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the MLS article referenced above, LD was worth a full goal per game increase (.4 goals/game reduction in goals allowed plus a .6 goals/game increase by Everton). Any player who generates a goal per game increase in the Prem is worth one heck of a lot more than $10 million transfer fee. MLS knows that and would likely ask for a lot more.

For what it's worth, Dempsey is currently valued at 13 million euros; LD at 3.5 tied with Bocanegra, Johnson and Chandler, behind Howard, Onyewu, Holden and Jones.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other sources have put it at 5.5 million pounds. Which makes it about 8.5 million dollars. I don't think Donovan is coming for that. I would rather have Jelavic than Donovan anyways. He didn't want to go to West Ham so they could have offered 10 mill and it wouldnt have mattered.

Don't forget Rangers are worse off than Everton financially (which is simple amazing) and needed to sell.

I am sure ArtetaGirl could clear this up.