Land Swap - from WTOP web page

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Winoman, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD

Just wondering, is this the only reference thus far to United in the media reports on the transfer? I know the two Post writers have ignored DCU before, but this would be quite an oversight.

2. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    It would be interesting to hear what Kevin Payne would say the time-table is now for getting a stadium done. Is 2007 still a realistic goal?

3. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deal would need to be done in the next 1-2 months for a 2007 opening. Even Crew Stadium, which was done in a hurry, took 3 months to break ground after a deal was reached. And DCU's stadium would not be a CCS, so it'd take 18-20 months to complete. And even more if you get Pizzahut Park-like delays.

4. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It actually says that "a major cultural institution" will be included among the developments at Popar Point. This could only be DC United's SSS. :)

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    most of us fans should be institutionalized anyway. :)

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    The Post has some of the best soccer coverage in the country.

How do you figure it's an oversight not to specifically mention a soccer stadium in a story about the federal gov't transferring land to the District?

7. Nogra Rover

Nogra Rover New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Bethesda, MD
    Obviously I know and appreciate Goff's coverage. This was not his. But to leave out what BS posters and other fans assume is a major use of a big project tells me there may be other options for the site on the table. In development, you don't show your hand until the check has cleared.

8. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that one got discussed here when the news of the bill first came out.

I'm sure AEG and the new local investors have some idea of what the plan is. But I don't think any of us do, unfortunately.