Land Swap - from WTOP web page

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Winoman, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you love it when a plan comes together??

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

K

4. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Anybody else get the DCU banner at the top of the WTOP page? Yeah, I'm feeling the positive waves.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Leaving soccer aside (like I could ever do that!), that's a damn good trade for the District of Columbia.

That's almost Lassiter-for-Wegerle-esque! as a Federal taxpayer living outside of DC proper, I should be upset at this fleecing but since I'm a fan of United who wants to see them get their stadium, I don't care where the land comes from and I'm more than happy to see the Feds sacrifice a little land for the good of the cause.

6. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    Fleecing? Try charging the Federal government property tax. The Feds have been talking for some time about transfering the land to the city for development (which would actually benefit the city and lessen our dependance on the annual payment from the Feds).

This is definitely good for the city and for United.

7. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't wait for the moment the ceremonial shovel hits the ground. I might even take the day off for the occasion.

8. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

OK this makes like 3 threads on the land deal.... where's the Nazi mods when ya need em.... or not!

9. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Still sleeping off last night's match. :p

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    At first glance, I thought the title of this thread was "Land Swamp" and the article was going to be about how hot and humid DC is right now.

:D

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Sir, this does not mean what you think it does.

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    STFU St Pauli nazi :D

13. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we avoid poly-tics 'round heyah, but likely the first thing the Bushies have done in ages that I have liked.

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Washington Post has the land swap story but in discussing the plans for Poplar Point it never mentions our expected SSS. What are we to make of this omission?

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Nothing.

Here's the article.

16. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Ok you F**** KKK member!

Done any ethnic cleansing today?

:D

17. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    From the Post article:

We're a "Major Cultural institution"!!! :p

18. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Examiner: Land transfer could hasten D.C. stadium project (story at bottom of linked page).

19. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...I wonder how the AEG owned Examiner was able to connect the dots on what this transfer meant for AEG owned United. ;)

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inside info??? :D

21. KGDG2005

KGDG2005 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Arlington VA
    From the Examiner:

"It would be part of a mixed-use development that would also include retail establishments and recreation fields."

Perhaps I should have been following this a little closer, but does anyone know how many recreation fields are envisioned?

One of the frustrating things about Crew Stadium is that it was just plopped into the middle of a vast parking lot often filled with horse trailers. The model of Pizza Hut Park with all the accompanying fields would be a much better one to follow (DUH!). If memory serves me their footprint is somewhere in the 100 acre region and includes over a dozen fields.

I always thought it was incredibly shortsighted for the Hunt Group to choose that Fairgrounds parcel to create an almost instant white elephant in Columbus. It seems they learned that lesson and then some with their new venture in the Dallas burbs. The question is, can the District/AEG/new owners take note?

Now I realize that the District planners probably have their hearts set on something else for much of this acreage and perhaps we should be just content with a new stadium... but, it would be nice if they looked at a more soccer-intensive big picture.

I was thinking of how Arlington County has approached their own North Tract development project - a much smaller opportunity to create a useful recreational complex

It would be fantastic if the Poplar Point redevelopment, aided by whatever additional acreage the Feds are providing (and I am unclear from these newspaper stories exactly how much land we are dealing with surrounding the proposed stadium) included as many fields as possible.

The more fields that can be placed there, the better. Perhaps it is just a pipe dream (not the Marion Barry version), but it would be great to be able to host tournaments in the Nation's Capital. Hell, just look at the boon for the Virginia Beach area with just one tournament .

Build it and they will come.

KGDG
    Come on United (States and DC)

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention, the additional fields, especially when hosting tournaments, create more actual "daily revenue" than a stadium probably will :)

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    that's exactly what I thought when I read the piece.

if the new United stadium is indeed going to be the Major Cultural institution, this is some wonderful news.

24. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can only hope...

25. KGDG2005

KGDG2005 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Arlington VA
    Sad, but true. Even the folks in KC see the light

"In May 2002, a task force appointed by former Gov. Bill Graves concluded that a complex including a soccer-only stadium and 20 championship youth fields was feasible and desirable for Johnson County. HOK Sport + Venue + Event consultants told the task force the complex would cost $45.7 million, more if its 166-acre site was not donated.

Consultants with Conventions, Sports and Leisure found that the project would add $30 million in direct spending to the local economy, plus an additional $20 million from an estimated 1,030 new jobs."

However, the possible synergy for a Poplar Point gameday experience would be tremendous as well. The ankle biters can spend the whole morning and afternoon on the fields and then spend the evening watching their heroes in MLS.

And if there is no home game that evening, they could just go to an AEG concert :cool: