Lame, general question time

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Guy Fawkes, May 11, 2008.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bit bored, but feel pride in the Arsenal right now, so I feel like talking about the club. So I've got a few questions to the posters on this board; I'm interested in your responses.

1. Who is your favorite player of all time?

2. What is your best moment supporting the club?

3. What is your worst moment supporting the club?

4. Your favorite goal ever scored by the Arsenal

5. Your most hated player, manager, etc., now or in the past.

I can't think of any more, but if anyone's got any suggestions, just say them.

Here's mine:

1. Robert Pires (would have been Thierry Henry had he not left, but we'll look back in a few years and see who I end up liking more. My animosity towards Henry has shrunk since he left, and I expect it to continue to do so)

2. Jens' penalty save against Villareal. I have a DVR, so I stood three feet from my 65-inch television, pacing back and forth and more nervous than I'd ever been in my life (situations like second legs of Champions League ties are the only times I absolutely hate to watch football, but still must). Anyway, the penalty was called, and I nearly died, but then it was saved and it was amazing.

3. The Champions League final

4. This is a tough one; I yelled especially loud when Henry scored to equalize against the yids at Highbury a couple years ago; then there's Fabregas' against Milan just this season, also Adebayor's goal against Liverpool even though it was nullified not two minutes later, Henry's against Real Madrid, there's just so many. I don't think I can pick a favorite.

5. Robbie Keane. Also David Pleat.

2. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    1. Although i lost some respect for him this past summer, Thierry Henry has to be my favorite. Whenever the ball was at his feet, anything could happen, and I think he is probably the best of all time to put on an Arsenal shirt, but I'm sure many that have supported the club longer then me would say otherwise.

2. Sitting at a pub, 5 Gooners and probably about 25-30 mancs. Eboue to Henry, headed into the net, 2-1, pure ecstasy.

3. i can't really say one certain moment, but the CL lose at Anfield has to be one of them. To have Babel so far in our area with such a dangerous chance, then the penalty 10 seconds after the restart.... that was heartbreaking.

4. It was before i was even born, but Thomas at Anfield.. i can just imagine how it felt to be a fan back then. That was a magical moment that happens once in a lifetime.

5. I really don't know, i hate a lot of players in the Prem, past and present.

3. Ziegler1988

Ziegler1988 Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Dennis Bergkamp
    2. Arsenal 4 Liverpool 2 April 2004. Rough week losing to ManU in the FA Cup semis and Chelski in the CL Quarters; we fell behind twice and the undefeated season was in danger, but Henry scored a hattrick and we went on to do it.
    3. Sp*rs in the CC Semis this season. CL Final was the most heartbreaking, but I can't call us playing in our only CL Final the worst moment. I knew that Sp*rs were going to beat us after the first 15 minutes, but I put myself through the pain and stayed until Malbranque scored the 5th.
    4. Dennis Bergkamp's goal against WBA in April 2006. My first match at Highbury and my favorite player scores a vintage goal, which turns out to be his last ever.
    5. Teddy Sheringham

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Charlie George, with Patrick Vieira a close second.

2. Sol Campbell scoring for a 10-man Arsenal side in the Champions League Final

3. Worst moment is hard. I've been disappointed many times, like this season, when results fell short of potential. Every time though, there seems to be something to salvage that is inspiring.

4. Charlie George, FA Cup Final, 1971

5. Mgr-Allardyce, player-Anyone playing for Allardyce

And my added question:
    6. What was the Best Night Ever to be a Gooner? - Champion's League Final in Paris. I've never, ever been prouder of my team.

5. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Who is your favorite player of all time? David "Rocky" Rocastle. I love DB10, CF4, and TH14 - but Rocky was my first true Arsenal love, so I'll run with him.

2. What is your best moment supporting the club? Tie: Winning the 01/02 EPL title _AT_ Old Trafford. Going unbeaten in 03/04.

3. What is your worst moment supporting the club? Any loss to Sp*rs

4. Your favorite goal ever scored by the Arsenal? Going with creativity over significance, and it's a tie: Henry's flick and volley over Barthez in Oct. '00, and DB10's juke around Newcastle's Dabizas in March '02.

5. Most disliked player, manager, owner, etc.? Shrek. I'll never forgive him for his dive in Oct '04 that was total simulation and ended our 49 unbeaten run. Has only given me more reasons to dislike him since.

6. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    1. Dennis Bergkamp. He's how I found the Arsenal in the first place.
    2. The most fun I had was 7-0 against Everton with the crowd asking for one more year of Dennis.
    3. Eduardo/Birmingham City.
    4. Bergkamp's final goal.
    5. No one's worthy enough for me to hate/dislike from a playing standpoint, so I guess I'll go with Ashley Cole.

7. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Definitely Henry. He's the reason I decided to watch an Arsenal match for the first time

2. Sol Campbell's goal against Barcelona. I screamed so much that I lost my voice.

3. This season's loss to Liverpool in the CL. I went from yelling, "******** yah!" when Adebayor scored to, "******** you!" in a matter of seconds. I still don't know about that penalty call for Babel.

4. Henry's header against Manutd at the Emirates.

5. Robbie Savage, he's just such a pig on the pitch, can't stand him. Fergie is without a doubt the manager I hate the most. He's such a cocky bastard.

8. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Dennis Bergkamp

Arsenal winning the double in 1998

Losing the European Cup in the last quarter of an hour, and being stuck in a ********ing class for almost the whole game

Bould to Adams 6 May 1998

Don't have one. Anybody at Tottenham I suppose.

9. PunkEdgePC

PunkEdgePC New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have only supported Arsenal for a short time, but I like these "lame" quizzes so here I go....

1. Vieira

2. Jens stopping Riquelme

3. Jens seeing red in Paris

4. Adebayor finishing off Theo's awesome run and pass at Anfield

5. Tomas Repka

10. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    1. Nearly everyone is gonna say Henry for obvious reasons, but after reading "Rebels For The Cause", I'm part of the Wilf Copping cult. That was one bad motherfu¢ker, though today, he would get sent off just for looking at Ronaldo.

2. This season; beating AC Milan 2-0 away. All-time; 5-0 against Villa in 2006 (my only Highbury match) and the 2002 double. I took off the day we beat ManUre, and I was surrounded by Chelsea fans for the FA Cup final. Oh, and 2-1 against ManUre last season was brilliant.

3. This season; what else? Having to hear some pissed-up yid at Lucky Bar singing "We beat the scum 5-1" and knowing that I should've been singing that instead. The 4-0 FA Cup loss at ManUre hurt like hell, too. All-time; the Champions League loss to Barcelona, and a 4-2 loss to Charlton at home back in 2002. That was just embarrassing.

4. Henry's turn-and-fire against ManUre back in 2001(?) or Bergkamp's crazy-ass flick against Newcastle in 2002. Ade's second goal at Sp*rs back in November ranks up there as well.

5. PLAYER
    This season=Anderson and Ryan Babel. Cheating little twats, the both of them.
    All time=Robbie Savage and Harry Kewell. Overrated shite, both of them.

MANAGER
    Ol' Red Nose. Allardyce is a pillock as well, and any club Steve Bruce or Neil Warnock manages, I'm glad to see relegated. Add to that, Mark Hughes and ANYONE that has EVER managed Sp*rs, Graham included.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    1. Dennis Bergkamp

2. Getting to the CL final

3. Well this would have to go along with the CL final. I taped the game and watched enough to see Sol's goal, then had to go to dinner with the family, while at dinner I saw the final score on the bottom of the screen (espn was on). Kinda ruined my night but I still have the tape, the game is still on it.

4. Michael Thomas' goal against Liverpool to win the title!!

5. Savage, The Troll (Martin Jol, he really does look like a troll)

12. mavandgoose723

mavandgoose723 New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Corvallis, Or
    1. Ray Parlour
    2. Tie between beating Inter 5-1 at the San Siro and the 2005 FA Cup final. (I was in a bar full of Man U fans.
    3. Belletti's goal in the CL final.
    4. Reyes' laser shot against Chelsea.
    5. Cuntley ********

13. anfield89

anfield89 New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Favourite Player:David Rocastle would love to have a player of his quality now.
    Best Moments:2 nil victory over Liverpool at anfield on May 26th 1989.Being at Highbury for last ever game and also for the game that saw us go through the season unbeaten.

Worst moment:Losing to Barca in Champions lge final.

Best ever goal:DB10 third goal in August 1997 against Leicester City or his goal against Newcastle in 2002.

Most hated manager toss up between Alardyce and Ferguson.

Most hated player Ruud Van Nistlerooy.

14. mobjack

mobjack Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. Tony Adams

2. FA Cup Final in 2005 in Penny Lane Pub, PV4 puts away the winning penalty and the small and well outnumbered Gooner contingent celebrating in the Mancs "we deserved to win it" dour mugs made it all the sweeter

3. The CL Final hurt really bad, but right now this year's 4-0 FA Cup thrashing away @ OT feels worse not only because the team looked so embarassingly piss poor but there was so much season left after that game and San Siro away excepted the boys never fully recovered. That game's probably going to haunt me until August.

4. Tony Adams against Everton in '98 barely edges TH14 heading the Eboue cross to sink ManUre last year.

5. Robbie Keane, Divier Drogba, Eric Cantona but the all-time King of all Asshats is Ruud Van Horseface. It makes me fume just to type his name. Nani and Anderson are coming up the chart quick, especially with the way Nani's name is over-enunciated by the Setanta commentators, it makes him all the more hateable.

15. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Jackson, MS, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1. Dennis Bergkamp
    2. 2006 CL semi-final first leg, Highbury
    3. 2001 FA Cup final
    4. DB10 v. WBA April 2006...on Dennis Bergkamp day!
    5. Robbie Savage, Fat Sam

16. cjump

cjump Member

Jul 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i only began to support Le Arse a few years ago so my answer differ from some of the life long supporters but anyway....

Dennis Bergkamp

3-1 at WHL this year. My boss, a sp*ds fan, and I watched the game together. I had made a bet that if Arsenal didn't win by at least two then i would wear a sp*ds shirt to work. He took the bet and promised to wear an Arsenal shirt if it ended in my favor. It was the jump start for me to a great season.

Can you consider this a "worst moment"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIMIQxE6F0
    if not then Paris.

Cesc's long blast against sp*ds this year

Sir bitch-a-lot and eboue.

17. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ

1. Dennis Bergkamp. No one, even TH14, will ever be as amazing and amazingly arrogant in his style of play. His passing was simply out of this world. And has any other forward lobbed the keeper more frequently and with more audacity than DB10?

2. Being at Anfield when Theo made that run and Ade slotted it home. I couldn't even see the goal because of my Severely Restricted View seats, but it didn't matter. Everyone went absolutely mental. Everyone hugged anyone within 10 yards. Never experienced anything like it.

3. It'd be easy to say the penalty a minute later, when that old woman had to sit down and started crying, but we at least showed up in that match and played our part in one of Europe's games of the season. But nothing hurt worse than being at WHL for the CC. It still literally makes me feel ill to remember all the scum in white jumping and singing while I couldn't even watch their attacks, sure they'd score on every possession. For some reason, FA Cup at OT wasn't as bad; probably because their not Spurs.

4. If I was into football in '89, there's no question my answer would be Michael Thomas. But, I wasn't, so...Emotionally/contextually: that Theo-run-to-Ade goal at Anfield, even though time will probably forget it. Technically/aesthetically: it'd be that move against Charlton if Ljungberg had finished it off (last year? two years ago?), but as it stands, probably Bergkamp to Ljungberg at Highbury against Juve. Ridiculous control and skill by DB10 turns into a great team goal following Ljungberg's run and finish.

5. I seriously dislike Van Nistelrooy and Robben. I have grudging respect for a lot of other ManU and Chelsea players, but not those two. And, honestly, nothing to do with his association with Spurs, but I absolutely deplore David Pleat. He is a horrific television commentator and writes absolute garbage for the Guardian.

18. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm young so I don't go way back:

Sol Campbell
    Non Arsenal - Shearer, Dean Saunders

Getting fox soccer channel a couple of years ago. Really changed me from slightly above casual arsenal fan to serious.

The loss at Stamford Bridge this year.

Campbell in the CL Final/Adebayor's thunderbolt volley away to spurs.

Ferguson, Moanrinho, Benitez.

C. purseboy-h**kerboy-Ronaldo

19. Sean P.

Sean P. Member

Aug 20, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Thierry Henry

2. White Hart Lane, 25/4/2004

3. Brum, 23/2/2008

4. Henry v United, 1/10/2000:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpTXEJloLHM

5. Ruud, Ronaldo, Most of the current English NT, Fat Sam, Fergie, Mourinho

20. Grand_Rapids_Gunner

Apr 26, 2005
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1 - I've only been supporting the club for 6 yrs now, so I have a bit of a shallow pool of players, but I think Thierry Henry has to be my favorite. He made the 'Arsenal Fast Break' really go, and I don't think I've ever seen a defense to offense transition quite like the 2002-03 Arsenal squad's.

2 - There's a couple, really... Withstanding a last minute onslaught v Villareal in the 2006 Champion's League Semi-final, our 'invincibles' phase with the 49 match unbeaten streak, and just watching some of the youngsters grow up in a couple years' time (see: Fabregas, Cesc)

3 - Again, there's a couple - The loss to Barca in the CL final, and any loss to Manchester United, Chelsea, or Sp*rs

4 - Is there any goal greater than this one?

5 - The Robbies (Keane and Savage), He who must not be named, and Fat Sam

21. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I love the reply "I don't think thats really true Paul now is it"?

and then Paul says "You're living in cloud coo coo land, join the real world!"

Friend (forget his name): " In the real world its nil-nil at half time!"

Although my favorite part is when he is yelling out the window, classic

24. rojagooner

rojagooner New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Bergkamp

2. The Invincibles

3. Loss to Barca in the 06 CL Final. I was proud of the boys effort but seriously gutted for weeks. The CL loss to Liverpool this season is a close second.

4. Henry vs ManU last season. I woke up my entire apartment building celebrating.

5. Robbie Savage, Sir Red Nose

25. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm gonna say Overmars, watching him did more to make me a fan than any other player.

Going to my first European away game in Prague, and having total strangers become good friends in a matter of hours.

Around Midnight the next night.

4. Your favorite goal ever scored by the Arsenal:

Earlier that night, had to stop Rick from texting to make him watch Henry set Arsenal's goalscoring record.

5. Your most hated player, manager, etc., now or in the past:

Tough call, McLeish really pissed me off this year.

But it's gotta be Horseface.