News: LAG World Tour 2008 (NZ, etc)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by RHSOCCER23, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RHSOCCER23

RHSOCCER23 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Re: LAG World Tour 2008

Well depending on how the remaining MLS go, the game can't come soon enough...

last year was a blast, hope/think the players enjoyed it too

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$1.2 million appearance fee to LAG

Times 2 in Oz

Plus whatever they add in China.

If these games were happening post Jan1, when roster changes could be made, perhaps this would be good for giving Bruce the chance to mold the team. But, since it's set for December, it's this same hapless crew and I am sure Bruce knows full well by now who is on the chopping block. So, from a soccer standpoint, I see nothing good coming from this.

I understand it's a business and this is one way for AEG to recoup it's Beckham investment. So, I don't resent it - I understand why it's happening. I just don't see anything at all about it that's going to improve the on-field product for next year.

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I don't begrudge them earning a buck. In fact, the more money the teams earn, the sooner we can expand the salary caps, increase rosters, etc. and improve the overall level of the league.

But this won't do much to improve the overall level of our team. Which currently stinks....

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it was a Mike Randolph interview that stated that the players received additional fees because of the appearances, and that those fees were as much as their salaries in some cases. If that's so, maybe that will help us recruit or maintain players on our roster.

6. teamsleep

teamsleep Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Gals to play in New Zealand again..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/09/02/newzealand.beckham.ap/index.html

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- English football star David Beckham and his Los Angeles Galaxy teammates will play in New Zealand for the second time in 12 months, against an Oceania invitation side in Auckland in December.
    Beckham and Major League Soccer team the Galaxy drew a crowd of more than 31,000 when they beat the Wellington Phoenix, the New Zealand franchise in Australia's A-League, in Wellington last December.
    Match promoters said Tuesday that the Oceania invitation team for the Dec. 6 match will be captained by New Caledonia-based and former France midfielder Christian Karembeu and will include players from the South Pacific region.

7. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gals to play in New Zealand again..

I just read this elsewhere. This boggles my mind. The only reason any team anywhere wants to play us now is to beat "David Beckhams team". AEG might as well just start saving some more money and get rid of Donovan, Buddle, Lewis, etc.... they are not needed on the David Beckham Show. All that is needed is 10 warm bodies + David Beckham and AEG makes money. Doesnt matter if we are first place or last place. They'll make the money.

Dear Bruce Arena,

I humbly welcome you to the David Beckham Show! Now make us some money biiiaaattchh!!!

With Love,
    Phil Anschutz / Tim Leiweke

8. ManUnitedForever

ManUnitedForever New Member

Nov 9, 2007

This tour will fail because the product has failed for 3 straight seasons. Why not skip the tour and just send Beckham to play right wing for three different teams in three different countries and set up kiosks with LAG jerseys at each?

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, just looking for any light in our dim little tunnel.

10. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10530200

as reported in New Zealand

Beckham's return to New Zealand confirmed

3:40PM Tuesday September 02, 2008

The Auckland Regional Council has confirmed Beckham and his LA Galaxy team will play at Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium.
    ARC Parks general manager Lance Vervoort says they are thrilled to finally have this confirmed.
    Vervoort says they are delighted to bring the LA Galaxy and global superstar David Beckham to Auckland, and they are confident Aucklanders will get behind the game.
    Mr Vervoort says the match will take place on Saturday December 6 against an Oceania invitational 11.

11. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gals to play in New Zealand again..

I agree......FUAEG:rolleyes:

12. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So...to summarize:

Upsides:

+Players get bonuses, which aside from two players on our team (you all know who I speak of), they definitely need.

+We get a chance to scout talent in Asian/Oceanic countries. I mean, DC's Fred didn't just pop out of nowhere. Plus, given how tight the A-League salary cap is (its even lower than ours), for most of these players, going to the MLS will be an upgrade in regards to how much they earn. Given a better salary, the better exposure and the chance to play alongside David Beckham...who's to say Bruce and co. can't woo away some young, talented players?

+Match experience for rookies/younger players. If you've been reading Julian Valentin's excellent blog, he's gotten practically no time in the first team. This could be a good opportunity for just that, some big-match experience.

DOWNSIDES:

+Increased chances of the possiblity of key players getting injured, which might spill over into next season.

+We look like complete schills and posers - how about we win a f**king trophy first? THEN you can start talking about world tours and all that crap.

13. BlueMagic

BlueMagic Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Avalon
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read "LAG WORLD TOUR"....then I realized it's actually happening. We can win in our own country, how are we supposed to win in another country?!?!?! How about we retitle this to "AEG Pimps Out Beckham To The World Tour"?

For the record, I get the business end of this, but geez :rolleyes:

14. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AEG just wants. to make money regardless.No wonder SJ people hate them so much.

World tour?Bull crap....

15. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we end up discovering a decent Aussie or Kiwi center back because of the tour, then I'm all for it...

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like to "make money regardless." What the heck's wrong with that?

And the San Jose fans would hate AEG if Lexi was Mother Theresa and Tim L were the Virgin of Guadalupe. I't in their DNA to despise anything that exists south of Monterey. Don't give them credit for rational thought.

So, tell me again, how is it that this World Tour is hurting YOU so much that you're upset about it?

17. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego

Money isn't everything...but it's up there next to oxygen