LAG signs Stefani Miglioranzi

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by RHSOCCER23, Sep 8, 2006.

1. RHSOCCER23

RHSOCCER23 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At this point he's a healthy body, so he should do fine.

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Article says he's a defender/midfielder... So where do you think he'll be used for now?

4. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I'm fairly sure he's not a straight defender. Generally considered to be a MF over on the YA boards.

Wasn't that bad a player for Portsmouth, if you read past match reports.

Had a few injuries as well, IIRC.

I'm glad y'all are taking a flyer on him.

5. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    High points:

He is a brazilian
    Played for portsmouth
    Maybe could be a comeback kid
    Agree with profiled, is a warm body

Soccernet Article

6. kyleprather

kyleprather New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Saw this one coming, an article weeks ago said he'd already been training with the team, so maybe we could see him quicker than you think. Personally don't no shit about him.

7. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    ALthough Stefani was taken late in the 3rd round back in th e MLS draft, I have no doubt that he has since more than proven his ability to play at the MLS level.

My problem with this pick-up is that we now have (again) FOUR, count'em four, defensive midfielders: Vags, Nags, Sturgis, and now Stefani.

It's like having 8 hotdogs and a 12-pack of buns. Or is it 6 hotdogs and 10 buns? Whatever, you get the point.

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where does he play ??

9. New Mexican

New Mexican Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why we keep getting defensive players when we really need offensive midfielders.

10. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was reading some of the Swindon Town 2003 game summaries, sounds like he's an all-around good midfielder, was their AM at one point:

"Picking up the ball in midfield just in front of the Nationwide stand, Miglioranzi rode one tackle before finding himself with just enough space ahead of the Wycombe back-four to run forward and unleash an unstoppable, 30 yard curling shot into the top left-hand corner of the Wycombe net.

It was a class finish from the Brazilian born New Yorker, and capped yet another fine performance for the midfield maestro."

So maybe he's another 2-way midfielder, that would play into many posters' perceptions that Frank wants box-to-box guys. As to fitness, he should be OK since he's played for the G's as a guest player (scored in the game against Necaxa at end of July)

Anyway, welcome Stefani. Here's to a healthy and productive stay with the Galaxy!

11. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    IMO an OK but not great addition. Since we run with two holding midfielders we need to have four on the roster to have sufficient depth. Particularly since Sturgis also plays as a defender. Miglioranzi also adds depth in defense.

Two big questions:

1) How much of a salary cap hit is this? If he is only a backup, you don't want to spend too much.

2) Will we lose him in the expansion draft? Quality depth is hard to keep. The good side is that even if we do lose him, it keeps another guy from getting taken.

12. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a while it seemed like Frank/Alexi were planning on getting the team down to 12 players so that we wouldn't have anyone available for expansion :)

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can play the whole midfield and in the defence and is a quality player they should hang on to him

14. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, hot dog buns come in packs of eight. Hot dogs come in packs of seven (Hebrew National), or ten (Oscar Mayer), or even eight (a few odd brands) if you can find them.

Quality MLS midfielders however, come in far fewer varieties. With Cobi, Kirk, Gardiner and Quaranta our G's have an abundance of average to better than average wide players. No Ronnie O'Briens or Steve Ralstons in the mix, but enough to give us youth and flexibility. In the middle of the park we are still woefully short on Quality Options. We have Pete and Nagamura, who like that same deep-lying role in CM. We don't have a healthy Sturgis who could give us a whole new look in the middle. We don't have enough quality in the strike force to allow Landon to play in the midfield full-time. Martino is out too, and that means a guy like Miglioranzi could give us both depth and experience in a position where we are thinner than most of us thought.

Shudder to think what might happen if either of our outside backs go down, but perhaps Stefani gives us flexibility along the backline too, much like young Mr. Sturgis does. We'll see.

I still trust Frank to get us to the playoffs, although last night was a huge disappointment. Just think we had a chance to be tied for third place and instead sit alone in sixth. The good news is that we are not that far away.
    Since taking over for dipsh!t, Frank is 10-5-4 in all competitions and has us in the Open Cup Final. To do that with poor roster and the F'ed up locker room he inherited is nothing short of a miracle.

15. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Yes, yes and yes.

That first half would have been impossible with a Sampson team.

BTW, what is Sampson up to nowadays?

16. RHSOCCER23

RHSOCCER23 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At a church near you. www.stevesampson.com :D

17. Swindon_Town_Fan

Swindon_Town_Fan New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Hey all....

Recently heard about Stefani Miglioranzi's move to LA Galaxy. On behalf of all Swindon fans here in England we wish him the best of luck. He was an excellent servant to this football club, and a top bloke off the field.

'Migz' (his nickname!) played the majority of games for Swindon in central midfield. He even captained the side on occasions last season, including one memorable game away at Rotherham, where he played as an emergency sweeper (due to injuries). He is a very creative player, who is able to get his foot on the ball and set up good attacks. When on top form was one of our best players over the past 3 years. He can also get forward if needed and score some good goals. The one at Wycombe, as posted on here, springs to mind.

I hope he is a success at LA, as long as he stays injury free he could be a good asset for your team.

Any more questions on Migz, feel free to ask!

18. Swindon_Town_Fan

Sep 12, 2006
    This is taken from www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yallop seems to really like two-way midfielders that are strong on defense but also have vision and ability to push the ball up the field - would you say that's the role Migz could play for us? Also, what's his speed like?

Thanks for the info.

20. Swindon_Town_Fan

Sep 12, 2006
    I would say thats a good descripton of Migz. He sits in the midfield, and tries to break up opposition attacks, and then looks to play good football (e.g. through balls to the forwards) The best way I can describe him really is a playmaker. Has great vision and awareness to spot a pass.

He isnt the quickest, but is no 'slouch'. He will hold his own in terms of speed. Something which Migz is overlooked for is his strength. In the Swindon Matchday Programme last season, a different player was interviewed about there team-mates. I would say up to 75% would answer Migz to strongest player. He doesnt look it, but he is very strong.

21. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Seems like we're taking a gamble on an injury-prone player (just like Quaranta). But if he can stay healthy - he could add some needed experience and skill to our midfield and seems to be the type of player that Frank Yallop wants. And even if he doesn't play much, he could be an excellent mentor for young Mr. Sturgis...

22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a big risk with his injury history. I hope I'm wrong, but I wonder if he'll see much of the field - a la John O'Brien.

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    But what does it cost us? It's not like we're using the roster spots anyway.

24. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Well lets see how good of player he really is. I think its too late to worry and discuss on his salary because he already is a signed player. I just hope that he can help us out in making the playoffs, winning the US Open and MLS Cup, is that so much to ask for?:D

25. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like what Alexi & Yallop have done to upgrade the midfield. I really felt that was a greater weakness for us than even striker. I know everyone wants a great goal scorer but notice how much more effective Gordon has gotten as the quality of the midfield has improved.

Based on Swindon Town Fan's comments, sounds like Migz could be a great pickup.