LAG related draft notes

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Cadaver, Nov 19, 2004.

1. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Draft tracker:

First pick - Arturo Torres (by CDCUS). LA protects Paul Broome.

(Side note: Chivas pick up EZ from DDC - so much for the "Mexicans only" theory)

2. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    So, Torres is gone? Hmm... can't say I will miss him, although he at least put out a little effort unlike another young player I'm thinking of.

What does it mean that we "protected" Broome?

3. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you lose a player (Torres) you get to pull back one of the players on your uprotected list. We pulled Broome back to the protected roster after losing Torres.

BTW: Chivas also took UCLA product striker Matt Taylor from KC. I was really surprised KC left him unprotected.

4. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means he is still ours and cannot be drafted now.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I think Chivas is accumulating trade bait. EZ and Taylor will never play a game for them

6. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we got away with exposing two players I would love to see back in Broome and Saragosa. The knowledge that Torres would go quickly to Chivas allowed us to keep Broome who is both versatile and inexpensive. Evidently Hamilton knew Saragosa was too expensive, and wouldn't be taken. He hasn't done a lot right, but this is a good sign.

Side note: I watched the interview with Dave Checketts on ESPN News, and he says he would never allow his staff to make a player personnel decision based on a marketing decision. I like this guy already. Then he goes out and gets Clint Mathis. I would trade anyone on our current roster, other than Hartman for Clint right now!

And I don't agree that Ezra and Matt Taylor won'y see the field. I saw in an interview that EZ's wife is from LA and they purchased a home here, while Taylor is a UCLA boy and may have reasons for wanting to come back as well.

Come on Super Draft!

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arturo,

I loved you like a son- always cheering for you, expecting great things from you. I will always remember your leap into the stands to celebrate with your family after your first goal as a Galaxy.

But now...

You are dead to me, Arturo.

RIP

Sincerely,

TrickHog

8. 2Xwinner

2Xwinner New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    SoCal

9. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    I agree and disagree with you. I agree that EZ and Taylor will see the field but it won't be for Chivas. I'm willing to bet me pinky toe(jk) that EZ and/or Taylor will be in the Gold and Green in 2005.

Soon to be Thread "Welcome back to the Galaxy Ezra!"

10. galaxy1320

galaxy1320 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    LA
    in exchange for Memo. Zadie also is probably trade bait. Good bait at that too provided he doesn't sign with an english club as is speculated.

11. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. galaxy1320

galaxy1320 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    LA
    the Chivas Guadalajara COACH is also not Mexican. In fact, he's Dutch, like Rongren. Sooo maybe they are...

13. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least 5 of the 10 players they picked are not Mexican (nor Dutch)... Are they going to just get rid of all of them?

Lee

14. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Telling interview

Watching Torres on ESPNEWS during the Draft, and he looked genuinely excited about the move.

Now maybe this is me.... someone who does watch other professional sports, and have grown accustom to athletes who know how to say the right things in difficult situations.

But when listening to Autruo Torres, his pressence is as though I was listening to lil chewy the mexican-american homey from east los. He spouted the pro-chivas rhetoric with a deliberate and jittery pace like his game.

Maybe it is because he was bitter being unprotected, but no mention of the organization giving him a chance. no mention of the fans who have seemed to always kinda defended his play, no nothing as it pertained to the galaxy.

Instead he said he feels like he must preform for chivas fans or they will let know it. he promised an MLS Cup, "nice promise Pat Riley, can you switch to Club America USA Houston, when that doesn't come to fruition or should we just blow off your promise cuz your young and ignorant?"

Basically Torres, and Chivas looks like they have the right attitude to run a team. looks like it starts from above.... and funnels down. I suspect Rongen has one year to win the Cup... or it's over for him.

I truely do appreciate there sense of urgency... wish we had some of that too.

15. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't you see his MLS Cup debut? He had four good chances on goal and he flubbed them all.

Matt Taylor = Seth George.

Don't trust anybody with 2 first names. :p

16. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    I had lunch at the ESPN Zone so I could see some of the action. Got relegated to the other room but it was nice seeing it close up. Glad Saragosa is safe. Said hi to Sampson before leaving but the thing I found very interesting is Waldo was talking about Chivas bringing up 10 players for the league. They wanted to know if Real had problems since they had more slots to fill and Chivas was looking for what was missing. Anyone know anything about this?

BTW Torres was surrounded by press and doing one interview after another. Couldn't say congrats glad to have known you.

17. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't even bother talking to the guy. He's gone over to the dark side. :p

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I know what they mean. Each expansion team will have the same number of SI/TI roster spots. I think its 4 SI and 6 TI.

CDCUSA will fill all 10 of those slots from Chivas existing player pool. RSL will have to go out and scout and find players to fill the SI/TI slots. In the long run, it will depend on how well RSL does in the scouting depatment - they could come out ahead of CDCUSA...or not. But its "easy" for CDCUSA in the sense that they already know who they want for those slots and RSL has to find them.

19. Squilch

Squilch Member

Jan 10, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The previous coach of Chivas, Hans Westerhof, was Dutch. The current coach of Chivas, Benjamin Galindo, is truly mexican.

20. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    I really, really, really, really...hope not.