LAG@HOU (RCB2HB) Sun 10/7 Noon TELE.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by lou czar, Oct 2, 2007.

1. GalaxyGuardian

Apr 13, 2007
    Joe Tiki-Man has been helpful, but I think we need to add the spiritual help of the Rose Bowl Witch Doctor in order to keep this streak going...

I don't see a win at Houston...But then again, I didn't think we'd beat Dallas at home, KC on the road, and Columbus after the Crew scored in the first two minutes. So I'm looking forward to being wrong again...

2. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The key to this game? Mentality. They need to go in with a must win attitude. They should think of this game as a preview to the Chicago game. This game well definetly test our defense and our midfield. A few weeks back when we played them at home there were spans were LA looked like they could do more. I don't completly see this team losing in Houston if they can manage to play a tight defensive game without errors and a BIG game from Mr. Donovan. I would be happy if Donovan led this team into the playoffs and an MLS Cup victory alongside Beckham just so those turds from Fox Football Fone-in can explode.

3. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Must admit I never saw the Rose Bowl Witch Doctor but have definitely heard enough to be convinced that we could use him. Maybe Joe-Tiki is related to him somehow? Don't know, the voices in my head won't tell me:D

Anyway, the game is a sellout and it's gonna be HUGE! Both teams have had the same amount time between games, so I don't think rest will be an issue. But Houston just came off a huge win in their so-called 'Texas Derby' and might be feeling knackered. For them, this win against Dallas was especially sweet, and I feel they might let up a little.

To back that up, I was reading in the Chivas Forum somewhere that since they beat us, their form has fallen flat. Some of their guys speculated that it might be because in beating the Galaxy, the Chivas thought they had already accomplished something and stopped bringing 'IT' to every game. The same fate will befall Houston and we'll be able to sneak a win from them. Well, at least that's what Joe-Tiki says...:cool:

4. smooth

smooth New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    It will be six weeks since Beckham's injury. Don't you guys think he can play 15 minutes at the end. I pretty much sure he will play some time in this game,he already works with a ball for a more than a week and they said that he has a speedy recovery.

5. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still predicting that we'll have Xavier, Beckham, and yes...even Albright back for the Toronto game. :D I just don't think we'll have any of them for this game.

6. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    As great as it would be to see our guys coming back from injury, Yallop would be in Greg Ryan territory if he gives Beckham any minutes until he's really ready to contribute on the field (~45 minutes at full speed). Beckham brings a whole lot of distraction to the game, and when he's playing it's worth it. But when the team's putting together a little winning streak, why would you risk disrupting any momentum or chemistry just to give him a 15 minute runout? I say there should be NO WAY Beckham sees any minutes. He probably doesn't even dress and sit on the bench until he's ready to play.

Albright, though might be another story. If he's practicing then at some point he's going to get a few minutes. But he hasn't played a reserve match yet, right? Can anyone answer that?

7. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last match reserves
    Los Angeles Galaxy Reserves (2-5-2) - Lance Friesz, Cameron Dunn, Mark Shulte, Kyle Veris, Ante Jazic (Quavas Kirk 46), Johnathon Bravo, Kevin Harmse (Taylor Canel 46), Israel Sessay, Eric Denton, Mike Caso, Edson Buddle (Steve Cronin 64)

Don't know if Albright was cleared for full practice this week, but that was TBD according to others who watched the pre-game. He wouldn't have been cleared for reserves as of Columbus trip.

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no offense to Beckham and Albright, but I think they should be treated just like every other player. Jazic did a reserve game first to test himself, and then started getting first team minutes. That's part of what reserve games are for - to test and prepare first-teamers for going back to play after long injury layoffs.

There is a reserve game on 10/13 vs. TFC. I could see Albright, and maybe Beckham, getting some playing-time in that reserve game, to see if they are ready for some first-team action for the final two games of the season on 10/18 vs. NYRB and that potentially huge gave on 10/21 vs. Chicago.

Plus, I'd just love to see the faces of our "guest" players when they realize they're playing next to David Beckham...

9. Mentality/must-win, absolutely. I said to a friend a few weeks ago, Galaxy should view the remaining 7 games as if they are in a 128-team single elimination tournament, with the 8th playoff berth as the prize. Three down, four to go, now we're in the "round of 16". In actuality, we conceivably can make the playoffs even without a result in Houston, but we would need a LOT more help from Chicago, Columbus, and Colorado. If we win the remaining 4 games, and Columbus drops any points, we are assured the 8th spot.

I would love to have X back on the defensive line for this match. Imagine the team in its current form, but add X, Albright and Becks. But we only get to play with them if we can win more matches without them.

10. smooth

smooth New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I agree,no player should play if he isn't fit...for his health at least. What I mean is that it's 6 weeks and he must be fit according to the recovery time they said. And usually players are back after month with such injuries,but I think they also give his ancle to be 100% strong.
    There is no way Beckham will play in reserve...hey he is English NT player..every "hero" would like to show what he can do against DB and injure him for months again. No way. That's why I believe Yellop can give him 15 minutes.
    And do you really belive that this 15-20 minutes can do any harm to LA momentum...?

11. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, Becks need not suit up unless he is 100%

12. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Ouch! Such nasty language

13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, and I mean this in a good way, neither Beckham nor Yallop are to be trusted in making this judgment. As we know from past experience.

Beckham WANTS to be ready. He WANTS to proove himself. He WANTS to justify his humongous contract and all the press attention. I think he feels a genuine responsibility to the team, its owners, the league. He knows how much they have riding on him.

All of that could easily lead him to making an imprudent decision, and saying "I'm ready" when he's only 80%

And poor Frank. Do you want to be the coach who kept David Beckham on the bench when Beckham says he's ready to play? Seriously???

All of which adds up to a scenario where Becks comes back in a pivotal game against Chicago, and all of a sudden we have an aggraveted injury that spills over to next year.

I say, suck it up and play out the string this year without Beckham, even if he is marginally ready. Start planning and gearing for next year when LAG rips through the league. Get Becks in top form, get a striker that knows what to do with the service Beckhan can supply. Find one more solid defender and march to the triple in 2008.

14. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my question...lets say we pull out a win this week in Houston. Then by the Saturday after that, we have Xavier, Beckham and Albright available. (All at 100%) Do you dare mess with the chemistry of a 4 game win streak by replacing 3 subs with 3 from our A squad???

15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but the quality of the subs you bring into the game in the second half just went WAY WAY up...

16. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure if you are serious or not, but I actually really like this idea. Martino is not a left sided played which is evident by his almost total reliance on his right foot as he tries to cut the ball to the center time and time again to use it.

Try him in the middle as more of an attacking midfielder. Bench Tudela and play pete or harmse behind Martino. Add Cobi to the right side and Randolph on the left side of the midfield and on paper, we may even be able to fool people into thinking we are relatively dangerous.

17. JuiceBox

JuiceBox Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched that UK version of soccer USA on you tube and Beckham said in his interview that he hopes he can play against huston but thinks it will be the game after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuNwiYn_is

18. qrich

qrich Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Van Nuys
    3 wins in a row, so you know the team is feeling well and good about themselves, so confidence shouldn't be a huge issue.

We can NOT let Houston strike early like the Crew did. If Houston gets a lead, it's over if you ask me. We need to come out firing and get the first goal, then, play a possession game, but don't give the damn ball up!

19. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why you got good ol' Alexi to take care of that.

20. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    So, does anyone know what the suspension will be for Clark, or when that will be determined if it has not yet been so?

21. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on Xavier? Did he train today?

22. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think as long as we don't let Houston get the drop on us in the first half, we should be good. But if we let them score early on, it could get UGLY

[​IMG]

23. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Page three and no points awarded yet. You people are just too serious. C'mon, gotta stay loose. Don't let the tension get to you.

I'll spell it out, and make it easier. Any song dedications related to this match with or without changed lyrics for points! Pre-game, in-game, post must somehow tie in to this match.

25. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States