LAFC General Discussion

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Football Club' started by Bubba1971, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 Andy Bulldog, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    I know a name hasnt been chosen yet. But Los Angeles Rogues FC/SC, Or simply LAFC, and allow Rogue Nation be the unofficial nickname would be okay with me...
    Colors: Black, Red, Grey. I know DCU and ATL have black/red, but they don't have grey. And what colors, belong to the LA area, that are not used elsewhere? Orlando has purple, LaG has blue/yellow, other teams use light blue, Houston has orange, yellow is used, and if ya use Cardinal/gold(USC) then ya might alienate UCLA fans. I guess ya could use brown, teal or pink as a major color, those are not used yet. :p Can't make every one happy.

Other random ideas:
    Los Angeles Sharks
    Los Angeles Sun Kings
    Los Angeles Surf
    Los Angeles Stars

Attached Files:

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I would like to see them use brown and gold, at least as the away kit; something similar to the 2013 Bayern away kit (they could change the green to red if red stays as a primary color).
    [​IMG]

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Cyclonis repped this.
  4. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got the LaBrea Tarpits nearby, which could offer some unique nicknames:

SabreCats
    Dire Wolves
    Mastadons

Cyclonis repped this.
  5. jrobl22357

jrobl22357 Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I like the name LAFC.
    I like the red and black colors.
    I like a red star to feature on the logo.
    Like this flag.
    upload_2014-11-15_5-3-13.png

I like this as a home kit.
    upload_2014-11-15_5-6-22.png

I like this as an away kit.
    upload_2014-11-15_5-7-4.png

Attached Files:

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Why not give this slot to Cal FC. Promotion all the way up, they already have history.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American style promotion: LAFC will sign 3/4 of Cal FC's players.

8. thefishy

thefishy Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Real Murcia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    They can't go with the same colours as the other new team that will join the same season.

9. Wilko66

Wilko66 New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I still think this is a cool logo and name. Dragons sounds so stupid I hope they don't go with that.
    [​IMG]

Excape Goat repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Will they going to be running a contest for the actual team name and logo like they did with Seattle?

11. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's way better than LAFC are some other crappy euro knockoff name. Teams here have nicknames/mascots. We don't care WTF the EPL does... EPL doesn't even exist to MLS Ultras. MLS has it own style and we want that to be respected.

[​IMG]

Besides, this logo is better..

Excape Goat and SoccerPrime repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, if this mystery team Who Shall Not Be Named actually claimed any colors. Until then LAFC can do whatever they want and probably even in 2017.

13. Wilko66

Wilko66 New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOL that looks laughable like it been made for children. What has LA got to do with Dragons?! It's just another case of owners pushing their own culture on a whole state/city. That logo reminds me of a cartoon I watched as kid called Hurricanes.
    Hurricanes

14. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What have the Lakers got to do with LA? There are no Lakes here. What do the Trolley Dodgers have to do with LA? No trollies here either. Your point is invalid.

I remember the Hurricanes as well. So do a lot of other soccer fans probably because they had a nickname/mascot and not just a generic euro-clone name. Truthfully, I have actually had more success turning non-soccer people into MLS fans than people that follow Man U, Real Madrid, Barcelona or other such trendy teams. Unlike Euro-snobs, these fans bring their $$$$ to MLS... and they want Americanized names!! They want the Dragons, they want the Sharks... but for the love of God, keep those damn EPL knock-off names away from MLS!!!

15. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Those two teams both moved to LA from a place where their name was relevant. Expecting a team's identity to be based on the city it was founded in is not at all unheard of.

16. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well said. That is why their is no defense for names like Real Salt Lake, NYCFC or other euro-clone name.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. My guess is that Dragons will be involved only because of stereo-typical response to Vincent Tan's involvement.

18. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To me what makes (club) soccer in the US interesting even though I can watch better quality games from elsewhere in the world is the diversity of the country and the clubs reflecting that!

Clubs can represent so many relevant things and in my opinion they should do that! Soccer isn't like other sports, it is different and that's what makes it bigger than any other sport...not in the US but in the world.

It can be Americanized" that represent an environment relevant to the city like the Whitecaps or Rapids, it can represent history relevant to the city like Revolution or Independence (USl Pro), it can be what the city is known for like Galaxy (referring to Hollywood stars), Indy Eleven (NASL) or Timbers.

I like it when traditional football names from other countries make sense in the local context such as Union, Dynamo. I also don't see anything wrong about teams using references to certain demographics that are of importance to a city or its history. That does not necessarily mean that this alienates everyone else from supporting the club. Let me give you an example...as long as NE Revolution does not seriously try to move to Boston proper I think it would be great if Boston could have a team in NASL or USL Pro that refers to Irish culture using green and white as colours. Every Bostonian, of Irish decent or not, should embrace the influence this demographic has to the city and its history and be able to support the club even if they are not Irish themselves...just like the Celtics. Or a team in New Orleans that embraces the French influence on the city's culture (making use of the same element you find in the Saints, Impact or St. Louis FC's logo). I also think that a Latin American influenced team might work for LA if done right! Once again, that does not mean that (like Chivas USA) it is run in racist ways or caters to Latin Americans only but it can target them while everyone else is most welcome to support as well. Whoever can't identify or support that at all has the more neutral Galaxy left to support.

I also think a Miami team should embrace the reality of Miami's demographics and brand themselves accordingly. I actually think NYC FC is the perfect name for the team because to me New York is like the whole world in one city and by using a common soccer team name that at the same time is neutral, it is highly inclusive and everyone can identify with it! I also like the fact that Columbus Crew's rebrand has a German touch paying tribute to the history of the city and region (even more so with the name being related to the predominant industry there). It makes the MLS and soccer landscape in the US so much more colourful and diverse with traditional American as well as all those international influences! I love it as long as it makes sense in the city's respective context based one of the many things that are relevant to the city/region!

That's why at this point in time the only "real" eyesores left in MLS to me are Real Salt Lake and Red Bull New York! Not saying everything else is perfect but ranging from acceptable to perfect in my very personal opinion!

Footsatt and Excape Goat repped this.
  19. chockfullofthat

Oct 29, 2012
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^what about "Sporting"?

20. Wilko66

Wilko66 New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But football is not NBA or MLB or NFL so why does it have to follow these sports with meaningless names? It comes down to personal opinion, but for me I like a name that has some link to place where the club is from or the history of that state/city/town. It has nothing to do with Euro snobs as you put it. It comes down to what football is about (well what it used be about) and that is the people loving their state/town they are from and wanting that club to represent them. I think a name that tells a story or has some link to where they grew up is important. It annoys me like you to see a great city like New York which is much more important city than Manchester ever will be to have a farm team and a team named after an energy drink but that's just the way things have turned out in New York for LA it's a new start and I think LA has so much potential for me if the Dragons is just to please some of the Asian owners/directors then it's not representing LA.

21. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At the moment I would say "acceptable" but definitely not more than that. I have to admit I am not English native speaker though and am not really sure what "Sporting" is even supposed to mean!? If that's just another way of saying "sports club" (in English language) that's okay but rather poor branding wise in my personal opinion!

22. chockfullofthat

Oct 29, 2012
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shameless rip-off of Sporting Clube de Portugal (Lisbon)

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Just like Salt Lake with Madrid and D.C. with Manchester. Shameless, all of em.

I see there's no more support for naming this team Cal FC and adopting its history...

24. chockfullofthat

Oct 29, 2012
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. United is ok in my books. It's the capitol of the United States so it's a perfect fit.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there you go, seal of approval. Glad we got that out of the way.

edwardgr and chockfullofthat repped this.