LAFC General Discussion

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Football Club' started by Bubba1971, Oct 29, 2014.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A mere technicality.....

2. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and if I were a pro sports owner I wouldn't touch a Native American name with a 10 foot pole.

Not to mention LA is about 1,500 miles from where the actual Aztecs lived. But whatever.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Couldn't be anymore racist that what the Chivas have done or tried to do for the last 10 years.

Anyway, I guess the Aztecs name is out.....

C-bus and Salvadanish repped this.
  4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprising. After the racist debacle that Chivas became I figure that LA 2017 will go with the most vanilla but soccer sounding name they can muster. Which almost assures it'll be LAFC or LASC.

5. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  6. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Nomar circled?

7. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ownership group is insane.

If the Entourage series had been reality, THIS is the ownership group that Ari Gold would have attempted to put together for his NFL franchise.

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    why are there so many owners? a function of how much beyond the expansion fee that this endeavor will actually cost?

9. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you include all the power-brokers, deal-makers and taste-makers from tangential business endeavors, there is no limit to what the club can achieve infrastructure and press wise.

They have NBA owners, MLB owners, Premier League and Seria A owners, Sports icons, US Soccer legends, Hollywood, powerful sports lawyers, pop culture icons and even inspirational speakers.

Not even mentioning the money.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they've got a very easy to remember name, Los Angeles Football Club.

Still the Galaxy have got to be shaking in their figurative boots about this. With this slate of owners I've little doubt they'll get something done in or right around downtown which will by location alone make them the premier team in the LA area. The Galaxy will be relegated overnight to second tier status as "the team that plays out in Carson."

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    a cynic would point out that that list of people constitutes an awful lot accomplished cooks in the solitary kitchen...

12. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LAFC? Great, another uncreative euro sounding name. They talk about getting to know the fans, but people that are going to like that trendy stuff are not coming to MLS games. MLS fans have their own identity and we want that for our teams as well. This generic stuff really displeases me, and historically though it may be too short a sample to properly judge from, MLS teams with just FC attached to them have underwhelmed both in fan support and on the field.

13. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    If all of that's true, I'm not a Galaxy fan, does it put a hurt on the Galaxy? What's the point of having two teams if one team puts the other out of business?

14. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    henryo and edwardgr repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they are saying its only a placeholder name. And even if not, you can't be shocked. They weren't going to be very creative with the second LA franchise and risk alienating anyone after what happened with Chivas. The name may not be unique or inspiring, but it also offends no one.

16. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The name was not the problem with Chivas, it was that it was basically a branding product from another rival league that limited itself to people familiar with Mexican soccer and furthermore by promoting just one team within it that came with existing rivalries. If you called the team, LA Dragons for instance, that would not already be an issue out of the starting gate.

17. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank God that it's just a placeholder name! Still, I don't trust that people are going to be wise and pick something both cool and marketable. They are most likely going with something terribly generic that will have trouble creating an identity for itself and once the new car smell wears off, people will lose interest. LA fans are a fickle bunch.. trust me.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Cardiff City's issues with the whole Dragon thing and the worldwide knowledge of that I suspect you're wrong. People would have found a reason to have an issue with it.

19. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So long as they didn't call it Cardiff USA, people would be cool with Dragons. Nobody from LA knows or cares about what's happening with Cardiff City.

Dragons was just a suggestion though. The point being though, is that those generic euro sounding names are a recipe for disaster and whoever is deciding this would be well advised to steer clear of them or risk getting Chivas'd.

20. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This article has a lot of the info that is known so far... This seems like its going to be huge and I'm very interested to see how the Galaxy will respond to this.

21. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    ...by winning.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Already 12,400 people signed up for their newsletter.

24. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    People were arguing with me about this. But I have little doubt that the Galaxy are in a relative, if not significant, amount of trouble. They have had declining attendance three straight seasons and their brand has largely stagnated. Their inherent monopoly in Los Angeles has caused the organization to suffer from complacency and passivity, something that single team market successes like Seattle, Portland, and KC have not fallen victim to. For years they have benefited from being the only option in town, but now a better option with better ownership has arrived. The novelty of Beckham wore off after awhile, and Donovan nor Keane have been that player that people are naturally drawn to. The stadium is in an undesirable location with no easy transit access, and no attractions nearby. The in-stadium experience is severely lacking, and pregame/postgame festivities are non-existent. Not to mention there is going to be a huge temptation for the organization’s top employees to make the move north.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have this funny feeling both teams are going to try and sign Ronaldo (32) and/or Messi (30) in 2017......