Lack of US Soccer Developmental Academy in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Riverhounds' started by nandoal28, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the posts are longer, but I do believe there is a distance restriction on USDA's. I'm not sure the distance, but there is one -- isn't there?

Cleveland has the Internationals as a recognized DA. Maybe that falls within the distance restriction?

Or, maybe no one in Pittsburgh sees the need for it right now? It's not an easy process.

2. nutmeg2014

nutmeg2014 New Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sorry, I'm not drinking the cool aid. Just about dead state odp and high school soccer ? Wow! US club soccer champions, how many of those has PAWest already had? Underwhelming and contrived marketing hype for a Pro level team. Google some of the young players in the MLS.

3. nutmeg2014

nutmeg2014 New Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Unfortunately some truth to that. The Pittsburgh metro area ranks 22 in size yet no MLS/NASL, PDL/NPSL, USSDA, or ECNL teams . Almost no national team or MLS level players ever come from the area and most of the local colleges recruit mostly from outside the area. The riverhounds are in the best position to change that but they seem to be satisfied hosting lucrative footskills training, attending a few tournaments and marketing it as something new and unique.

4. ameg4u

ameg4u New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 19, 2017
    The boys DA is celebrating its 10 year anniversary and US soccer is launching the girls DA this fall. Over 200 teams all the way down to u12, but still no Pittsburgh club after multiple club additions. Very surprising that no Pittsburgh girls entry this fall. Riverhounds accepted to ECNL, but they are late to the party as the DA will surely take the best clubs. Seems like the area continues to have serious problems with coaches, fields, philosophy, etc. The hounds haven't done much to produce pro players on their own, or even top level college. Both local kids signed to their training contracts in this thread struggled in the college game. Just business as usual from Beadling and Century too.

5. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks for reviving. Comedy gold for a monday morning if you read from the beginning...

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this in Crew forum yesterday, seems topical here too.....

7. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    My recollection is last year everyone had the Crew academy folks at their elite summer trainings and college showcases, I can imagine the customers want to see new faces every so often.

My hope is that Pittsburgh will remain an "open city" :) and all the MLS academies within driving distance will look more closely at the region. If the Hounds become the gatekeeper to Crew, its a good thing for Beadling and Century to work with some of the other close options - Philly seems to have a good model but PA-E is probably a target rich environment already.

Hard to see the glory in being selling teams in a federation without solidarity payments & training compensation but I'm sure somebody has their best people working on it :)

And DC United's new young keeper just announced a commitment to Penn, I don't know the college eligibility/MLS academy rules for joint participation.

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RDA partnered with Columbus Crew SC. http://www.riverhounds.com/news_article/show/819993?referrer_id=2869741

College eligibility and MLS academy only comes into play once the "student-athlete" starts his/her college career. So, DCU's goalkeeper can play with anyone up until he starts his college career -- in the classroom OR on the field, whichever comes first.

9. ameg4u

ameg4u New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 19, 2017
    Agreed a comedy, but also a shame. The girls teams have always been very strong in the Pitt area, no excuse not to be in the DA. Just need any club to step up and meet requirements, check any selfish interests at the door. The riverhounds announcement sounds like more marketing, to keep a youth revenue stream to pay for stadium and pro salaries. There have already been dozens of players commuting to other DAs in OH, DC, eastern PA. The point is to have a DA in Pitt and very large player pool participating...not 2 just players.

10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be coming to a head very soon. FIFA is set to rule on the issue as it relates Yedlin's transfer to Totenham. It could be game changing in the US if FIFA says youth clubs are due the 5% of transfer fees and are also due training payment when signing first pro contract. Pay to play will be redefined. And clubs can be rewarded for "developing" a player. Chciacgo Sockers would have made a nice buck on Bradley transfers and Dallas Texans made a huge buck on Clint Dempsey. Also PA Classics with Pulisic - especially if he is transferred from Dortmond at some point..

11. ameg4u

ameg4u New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 19, 2017
    That may be just what Pittsburgh clubs need. Beadling apparently has produced a couple of top flight pros and youth nationals on the women's side. Looking at their website it seems they are only lacking facilities for DA membership, which requires at least $1M for a turf field. The fact that they don't own a turf field after 100 years is mind boggling. Riverhounds have facilities (sort of as I think they lease the stadium) but haven't produced youth national players and appear to be using unlicensed player-coaches. Some cash would allow them to replace those coaches with top level A licensed coaches. Not sure about century, maybe just lack of youth national player production?

12. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    ThePonchat repped this.
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be interesting several months in Columbus.

I hate it. Been a Crew fan since Day 1. Met the Owner in January, had a good, short chat with him. Snake.

14. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I honestly feel for you, and especially for the kids in the Crew academy. I'm guessing most come from within 200 miles and not many are going to pack up for Austin.

My guess would be the academy goes with the franchise.

15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already a USDA academy in Austin. But lots of kid's futures now hang in balance. another reason why soccer is different and relocating a team shouldn't be possible.

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some connections within Crew DA. There has been some staffers already offered jobs in Austin.

17. ameg4u

ameg4u New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Mar 19, 2017
    According to the Riverhounds website one 12 year old kid moved there to be in the crew academy, will they follow to Austin too? The other must commute 3 hours, but did not play this fall according to crew academy website. Neither are good situations. One of the US Soccer presidential candidates talked about a state training center, interesting idea for Pittsburgh.