Lack of sophisticated thinking

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by yabo, May 4, 2018.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From this article: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/0...xico-juan-carlos-osorio-masters-modern-soccer

“This is my own crazy idea of preparing my team to play in the last 25 meters,” says Osorio, who has been a coach on club teams in Colombia, Mexico, Brazil, England, and the United States. “We need constant movement from our strikers. We try to create patterns. We’re taking movement to a new level, and we call it synchronization. The key words are doubt, movement, and synchronization.”

I can't believer our players aren't smart enough, skilled enough or athletic enough to pull it off. So it falls on the quality of our coaching. You could make the case that the Mexican forwards are better, even more sophisticated than the US. Again, coaching as they come thru the ranks. I'd love to see statistics on where most coaches played coming up say in Germany, Spain, Brazil, or Belgium vs. the US. Here I'd say we have more defenders and mids.

Pulisic and Weston play with sophisticated movement and are succeeding in the Bundesliga. Where did they learn?