Lack of Sleep Plaguing Kids in Class

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Chicago1871, Mar 17, 2005.

1. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It's impossible for me to take a nap. Even in Kindergarten, I couldn't fall asleep.

2. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    that's cause in kindergarten you don't want nap time. You can't get 5 year olds to go to bed at bedtime let alone in the middle of the day. I just took a nap in study hall though.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My son went to an otherwise excellent soccer camp last year. They put the kids to bed at 10:30, woke them up at 7 AM.

Given that it was hot & a dorm full of kids will be kids, that meant that the kids fell asleep between 11 & 11:30, woke up at 7. Thus, 7.5 to 8 hours sleep for kids aged 10 to 13 who were playing soccer all day, in 88 degree temperatures.

We checked in on him every day and fed him snacks & drinks, but even so he finished the week exhausted & dehydrated.

It's amazing how many people think that "good parenting" = "leave the kids alone" or "treat them like adults"

4. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    sports camps are like that though. I went to gymnastics camp when I was 11 and 12, at least 5 hours of gymnastics every day (most people went to open gym) and we had lights out at 10:30 and we woke up at 7:30, even though you had to get up earlier if you wanted to shower in the morning.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You mean, run by people incompetent to deal with kids? Probably true. Although no doubt, they know all about their particular sports.

My poor kid is fussed about attending his first ODP camp. He's worried that he's not going to get enough sleep and will play lousy. I said, "Hey, at least everybody else will be rotten, too."

6. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    they're really great with their sports, but not so much everything else.

The night before games I always try to get to bed earlier and the day of watch what i'm eating, not that my teachers are too sympathetic with homework the day before a game. I've played a couple games on not enough sleep, not fun.

7. barkerjb

barkerjb New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I would like to comment on this thread. I am a sophomore in high school and I too feel a lack of sleep every single day. My school starts at 7:17 but I have to wake up at 5:45 in the morning. Each night I usually fall asleep around 10:30 or so. When I go into school each day, I am mentally and physically unable to focus on things. But of course, I put my full effort into the many advanced classes I take because otherwise, I wouldn't do well.

When I come home from school, I just want to sit down. I relax to clear my mind after a tough day of school, yet the only thing I have to come home to is more work. There have been occasions, albeit not very often, when I close the door to my room and do homework for 3 or 4 hours straight.

I don't do after school activities for a number of reasons. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out on life because school is more important or I am too tired.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Really, school isn't that important. Going to a slightly worse college is much better than not having a social life.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one speaks the truth. Listen and learn.