Lack of Reyna = great game and a win

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Michael Mejido, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    ok. now is not the time for my usual reyna buzzkill. but how much did Reyna not being on the field contribute to this *great* game?

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actully if we had Reyna the game would have been at least 5-2...We need him or Dema back...Dema over Claudio tho.

3. Jim Andreano

Jim Andreano New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Reyna doesn't have a natural position in the RB alignment. He's not a 10 shirt (well he is, but you know what I mean), nor is he the hard man you want as your D-mid. He's somewhere in between. You can create a central-mid position for him, but that means you either have to:

1) Play a 4-5-1, or

2) Play a 3-5-2, or

3) Don't play midfielders on each flank.

Better off without him IMHO.

4. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    I'd like to propose a trade:

Wattereus and Reyna to New England in exchange for Shalrie Joseph.

5. PSoccer

PSoccer New Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Can Reyna still play outside back? That's the only place I could see him because Mathis and Dema should be in the middle. :confused:

6. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

May 14, 2007
    Edison, NJ
    None. Reyna would have been a stabilizing presence for a team that committed too many fouls and fell asleep too many times. Honestly, I'd prefer him over Vide in this game - not that Vide was bad any thing, just a preference.

The reason why the Red Bulls midfield was so strong was because Clint Mathis showed up to play his A game. If Mathis was invisible like he was for June and July, the Red Bulls wouldn't have done as well. I think you need to get off Reyna's jock and give the credit to Mathis.

7. Beto

Beto New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    NOLA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    you're a funny guy. its not like this is the only game that reyna missed or left early in which the team then 'magically' turns into an offensive powerhouse or anything...

8. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is amazing how we score and attack when Reyna is off the field. What a coincidence.

9. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this about 2 months ago and I'll say it again: Reyna belongs in the defense-he would be a natural sweeper IMO.

It's too late this year, but next year I would develop the back 4 around this. He brings much needed class and composure in the back, and would be able to pick his spots in the attack.

As far as last nights game, it's true that I think with Mathis in and Reyna out, you get a more open, positive football. The down side is that Mathis is the classic million dollar foot; five cent brain. You can't trust him to manage a game-something that Reyna does very well. And there really is the problem for Red Bull in a nutshell: they lack cutting edge in the middle but in their current form, can't take the steps to correct it because the player that can open up the middle (Mathis) can't be trusted with the car keys. And to be fair to Clint, at his age, I don't think we should be asking him to be a ball winner and the offensive thrust. He is what he is, which IMO means you need a more dynamic, fitter player than Reyna-Bruce has to find a Viera type of player.

Simply put, from a technical view, last night was an absolute disgrace from Red Bull vis-a-vis their inability to manage the game. No Reyna hurt us on this score.

And as an aside, what you saw from a 75% David Beckham was one of the down sides of MLS: the lopsided nature of team compositions. Most of the teams are top heavy on the front line re: class. Put a classy mid who can distribute like Beckham and you see how unsophisticated, naive, and limited defense in MLS is.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Reyna returned, Angel and Jozy went into a slump. 2 goals in 6 games. Reyna leaves, and the gates open for Angel and Jozy. All this bull---- about game management is as credible as saying Kevin Stott is a good referee.

Mathis needs a hard working def mid behind him so that he play the Carlos Valderama role. Vide is best suited for that because he runs his ass off. Reyna does not run anymore. Dema runs like a locamotive and doesn't know how to stop or change direction or go into reverse.

Without Vide, Mathis is not effective. Without Mathis, Jozy and Angel are not effective. Without a strong attack in the middle, Dane Richards is not effective. It's called "chemistry", and that's what a good coach has to figure out.

11. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That is in great party down to Bruce Arena, though. His choice of tactics, including formation has always tried to shoe-horn Reyna into a position, for which he was poorly suited. As a team, the Red Bulls play well with Mathis as the attacking midfielder with two forwards in front of him; but one has to wonder if Mathis could do the same thing with Reyna or Dema behind him.

12. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only one problem with that trade: Steve Nicol's not stupid :p

I'd take one Reis over two Wattereuses, any day of the week.

13. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA
    Well first things first i dont know whos goal keepers preformance was worse cannons or walterues, The young boy Conway should be our number one

and well done joe vide, when i was analizing our game the best fit on this team in our central mid is mathis and vide

i think we should say its time to start the kid, you guys mite think im crazy but ill tell you why we should start him

REYNA, waist of money, to slow, nothing in the tank, should retire

DEMA, probably the best def mid next to joseph, but hes getting old, and dosnt have much left in him too, but i love the guy is one of our best players but let the ytoung gun play

VIDE, young, a work horse, and has tuns of potential, and helps the team alot

every time joe vide stepped on the field he has shown hes worthy of a starting spot i think bruce should give it to him, we do look imo better with him

14. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you have said here. 100% as I see it also.

15. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Hopefully someone in the Red Bulls management will come forward and eventually do something about Reyna. It would have one thing if he was classified as a senior international, but he's not. He's wasting our 2nd DP slot!! We were supposed to have a big advantage with that extra slot, but with Reyna taking it, we may as well have 1 DP. At least Angel is well worthy of his DP slot and Jozy is making it look like he's our real 2nd DP.

16. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Are you nuts?? Cannon had 10 saves! Waterjunk - 1!!!:eek:

17. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    none of LA's goals would have been preventable if Reyna was on the field. 2 corner kicks, 1 free kick and Donovan's skill/speed.

having said that, if anyone...and i mean anyone...thinks we're better off without reyna, then you know absolutely nothing about the beautiful game. you probably barely know that the ball is round. ;)

pfft.

anyway...if reyna was on the field, mathis likely would not have been. so....i'm glad he wasn't. mathis was amazing.

18. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the Mother Of All Anti-Reyna posts!!! Can anyone articulate it any better than RegginaFan1??? I think not! I would rep you RegginaFan1 but I would have to change my skin and I don't know which skin works with Reps...

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Arena had something to do with that as well. During the 6 game streak that you are talking about, Josy was out for 4 of the games, due to the U-20 WC. When Josy returned for the final 2 games of that string of 6, Arena played Josy as a winger (which he is not), while starting John Wolyniec up top. When played up top, Josy has been effective, period. However, having Mathis as a replacement for Reyna with Josy up top, Angel becomes a beast and the team is nearly unstoppable on the offensive side of the ball.

20. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks, bro. I try to do my best. It all comes from the heart and what I see on the field. Unlike Arena, I wouldn't pick and play favorites. This is professional soccer, not first grade.

21. tommymcb

tommymcb Member

Feb 14, 2007
    CT
    How should Reyna be solving these problems? Or how would a better DP acquisition solve these problems?

Freeman got hurt. Parke got hurt. Mendes had flu like symptoms. Regan got cut. Graham got cut.

Parke gets badly beaten 3 or 4 times a game.

The Water Giant is a different keeper since hurting his ankle.

Conway has trouble distributing the ball.

Schoop has not broken into the starting lineup, while taking up lots of cap space.

Richards is a second round pick that has been playing much more than he should. He plays well against opponents like Toronto (when they are missing 5 starters) and LA (when they have no one to play defense). Other games he is severely overmatched.

Dema has been playing out of position or hurt for the last two months.

Stammy is a good defender, but leaves much to be desired on the offensive end.

Wynne and Dunny were getting paid over $100k/ year. They were traded because they were getting paid much more than the market rate for a right/left back. Next year we will not have anyone under contract, and we will be free to sign whomever we want.

VDB is a smart player, but he does not play defense. If he can’t beat his man, then he turns the ball over each time it is passed to him. Don’t forget we got him for a forth round pick because KC gave up on him.

Quaranta got turf toe as soon as he landed in New York.

Altidore was held out of many games so that he will be fresh going into the playoffs.

Mathis plays well in some games. He is invisible in others. I'll write home to mom when playing well against Toronto or LA becomes impressive. Toronto had 5 starters out. LA barely got 4 defenders out on the field.

Woly is a role player. He is nothing more than that, and nothing less than that.

This team is pretty sorry looking on paper, but they are 6 points behind NE with 2 games in hand. As that bastard, Parcells says, “You are what your record says you are.”

22. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    ...............Mr Pants

Parke....Mendes....Leitch

.............Reyna

Richards....Kova....Vide

.............Mathis

..Josy....Angel....VDBerg

23. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA
    metz a little fyi thats 12 players

24. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA
    but wait reyna being a horrible player isnt our biigest worry though

it is if jozy goes to europe next year, if jozy is gone then JPA has no supporting cast

i think we souldnt waist our time on a player that we know that is a waist of everything

we should worry about the best 18 year old that we have in american soccer and on our team, and i hope he stays

25. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we just sign Doe?