La Xavineta Continues - The 2023-24 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Aug 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is on loan, but this is still news worth sharing as we have him under contract beyond this year and also 1-we feel sorry for him; 2-it shows continued injury woes which hurts both his chances of returning here and his chances of being bought for a decent fee.

BocaFan, evil_allan and celito repped this.
  2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Noah Darvich led the German U17 National Team as captain to silverware at the Euros and the recent Worldcup. You really have a gem in the making with him.

celito and Gilmango repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barca is already through as the group winner in tomorrow's CL, but Barca U19 still has work to do, as either Barca or Porto could top the group. Topping the group puts you into the final 16, whereas 2nd place means you have to play a domestic champion made up of these 8 (Holders AZ Alkmaar, Basel, Mainz, Midtjylland, Nantes, Olympiacos, Partizan and Žilina are through to the play-offs):

Youth League state of play

Through to round of 16 (group winners): AC Milan (ITA), Copenhagen (DEN), Lens (FRA), Manchester City (ENG), Real Madrid (ESP), Salzburg (AUT)

Confirmed in top two, final position TBD: Atlético (ESP), Barcelona (ESP), Feyenoord (NED), Porto (POR)

Through to play-offs (group runners-up & domestic champions path winners): AZ Alkmaar (NED, holders)*, Braga (POR), Basel (SUI)*, Bayern (GER), Inter (ITA), Leipzig (GER), Mainz (GER)*, Midtjylland (DEN)*, Nantes (FRA)*, Olympiacos (GRE)*, Partizan (SRB)*, Sevilla (ESP), Žilina (SVK)*

*Domestic champions path winner

Can still reach play-offs: Borussia Dortmund (GER), Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I meant to post this a few days ago, but Vitor Roque was back to playing in the final few games of the season in Brazil.

BocaFan and Gilmango repped this.
  7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barca U19 won today vs. Antwerp, but so did Porto, those two winners finished 5-1, splitting the head to head, but Porto gets the Group victory based on goal differential, earning a bye into the final 16.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Barca drew Barbastro in the next round of the Copa del Rey. They are mid-table in the 4th-tier and play in a 5,000-seat stadium. Based in Huesca so not far from Catalunya.

ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  9. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT: Barbastro 0-1 Barca

Fermin goal 18'

10. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 2-3

Goals from Raphinha and a Lewy PK. We gave up a PK right at the end.

evil_allan repped this.
  11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    the bad news is another injury to Inigo Martinez, only moments after he came on from the bench.

12. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #112 Khan, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    La Liga is gone.

But, perhaps this draw gives Barça the touch of good fortune that's needed to win CDR:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...atleti-unionistas-barcelona-copa-del-rey-draw

IMO, the objectives for the remainder of THIS domestic season should NOW be:

1. Finish top 4 to stay in Europe for next season,
    2. Win CdR.

Again, at this point, trying to win La Liga is a fool's errand. Focus on CDR, instead.

Gilmango repped this.
  13. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Been hearing some rumors about Mourinho possibly becoming new Barcelona coach. What do y'all think?

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Firstly, there is no way Barca hires Mourinho.

Secondly .... nope.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    maybe Vitor Roque needs a translator?

Gilmango and BocaFan repped this.
  17. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Xavi stepping down at the end of the season

18. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I'm saddened by this. A true Cule, and a Barça legend.

But he and the players brought this upon themselves. Stubborn choices as manager were matched with tepid performances by the players.

I dont like this, but I'm resigned to the reality that it will be Marquez next; I think he's as inexperienced as Xavi was when he took over.

There's no cash to get a proper manager, and no manager will have a budget to sign the players he'd want. And thus it will be...

ShortyMac repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the club should consider Michel from Girona. He is doing a solid job.

Gilmango and Khan repped this.
  20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #121 Khan, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
    Sure.

But how with the board attract him? With what money?

And as an aside, Girona are in the Man City group; maybe there's another club in that group that could be attractive to Michel. Or, if something happens with Man City's 115 FFP violations, maybe Pep leaves Manchester.

And I say this as someone who admires what Michel has done with other club's castoffs and spare parts. I admire his tactical acumen, in terms of adjusting Girona's approach from game to game, and even within games. I admire his thoughtful approach to player rotation.

And, I'd love to see him here; I just don't see it happening.

Gilmango repped this.
  21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Oh, and one other thing:

Marquez's agent is Mendes.

Unless Michel's agent is Mendes, it'll be:

Xavi out 30 June,
    Marquez in 1 July.

I dont like it, because I don't think Marquez has enough experience to take on this role; I never thought that Xavi had enough experience, either.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First, it's Barca. Obviously money will be an attractive, but coaching a big club is typically the goal of a manager. Second, if the problem with Barca right now is coaching and not player quality as you say, surely he will see a team that has more potential than the Girona team he is coaching.

The City group has no other big / impactful team on their portfolio. No other club will be attractive to him.

evil_allan and Khan repped this.
  23. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #124 Khan, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
    Let's be clear:

I believe there is enough quality in this group of players to have been in contention for either La Liga or CDR, IF properly managed. I believe that Michel at Girona has proved this conclusively, because no one would objectively take Girona's roster over Barça's.

However, there is not the correct mix of players, and not enough depth to win in Europe at the moment; this speaks more to the financial issues that are in evidence.

I think the other things standing in Michel's way to become Barça's manager are:

1. LaPorta likes Marquez,
    2. Mendes is Marquez's agent, and
    3. The limitless Petrodollars backing the city group.

I think it'll be Marquez, because it's already been decided. We'll see.

Until then here's hoping Xavi can deliver:

1. Top 4 in La Liga, and
    2. Advance as far as possible in UCL.

celito repped this.
  24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We can't be thinking about winning the CL right now. That's a pipe dream. But ...being at Barca with a talented group (although with many flaws as you rightly point out) and having a shot at winning La Liga (technically Girona has a shot this season but can they repeat the campaign next season ?) should be enough to attract someone like Michel. Unless he thinks he is not ready.

You may end up being right about Marquez. I don't follow to ins and outs to know that Laporta has a preference so I will take your word for it.

Gilmango and Khan repped this.