LA vs Smurfs Pre/Post match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by PZ, Sep 8, 2004.

1. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe this hasn't been started yet.

Sampson gets the entire team (well, expect Bo) to chose from for a change. This has to be as much of 'must win' as any regular season game.

2. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plain, simple and obvious: We must win! For points and for pride! C'mon LA!

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i'm so tempted to go to this. there would be nothing better to help alleviate some of the misery around here than a win over the dopes. on the other hand the way both teams are playing, being at a packed vicky street to watch the guys lose or tie would be agony.

totally agree with rok, and i'll go a step further, a loss on saturday and our season is over.

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason I agree with the above post would be because of a "critical mass" of frustration on the team. If people were fighting BEFORE Sigi was fired, exactly how must they be behaving now?

I could see us taking a loss at home against the Smurfs, and a lot of bad talk coming out of the locker room. It would be a spirit-crushing loss.

That said, I don't think it's gonna happen. I think we'll win 2-1, maybe with a PK.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we were afraid to think about it! I can't remember going to an LAG game with a lower set of expectations.

On the other hand, I hear tell you have to hit bottom before you can turn things around.... So maybe there is a glimmer of hope?

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's all about professional pride. Even beyond that, it's pure competitive pride.

Previous performance don't mean squat in a clasico. Think UCLA-USC football: how many times has the "inferior" team run the nationally ranked oppponent through the ringer?

btw: I hate football. It's futbol all the way...

7. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that's the "received wisdom." But I wonder if its really true. Has anyone ever actually looked at statistics of the number of times "underdogs" prevail in "rivalry" games v. regular games? Just looking at USC v. UCLA, my observation is that with a very few famous exceptions, the better team usually wipes the floor with the poorer team. Maybe it seems like "the record is out the window" because the upsets in big games make a huge impact on us. But statistically.... I don't know. Someone has to come up with some numbers on this before I am ready to buy into the concept.

8. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I think we have a good shot if Saragosa is back. Is he back?

Otherwise, I see Donovan killing us. Hell of a goal for the US.

Second point is that we can't hold them scoreless so we need to score, and probably a lot.

Third point is, leave Grabavoy on the field dammit!

Most interesting issue, what to do with Kiro?? Stay up top? Attacking-mid? Super-sub?? New Waterboy? Replacement Gizmo??

9. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade bait 2005.

Let him "light up the league" for some other team.

Lots of things can happen on Saturday. That NASCAR-loving monkey Waibel could go ballistic in the 20th minute and get a straight red, and we could rout the Smurfs. Donovan could forget about diving and score a hat trick. Ruiz, who all Smurfs hate by birthright, could score in bunches and elbow Canuck Keeper in the face just for the fun of it.

I'd love to say that things will finally click this weekend, but I'd say so with zero confidence. So I'll just go, get a giant effing Corona, and pray that the Galaxy doesn't make my kids cry.

Topper

:D :D

10. annoying

annoying New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    USA
    From what I've seen, the home team has always won so far. I really hope that this is the case this weekend!!!!

11. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Actually, even if he doesn't score, watching him elbow any of those canucks would be worth the price of admission. Watching him score too would cover parking.

12. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are missing Aloisi and Bo due to injuries. Everyone else should be fine. Hopefully the defense is stable and steps up to the cause, otherwise we're going to be in for a long night, especially if LD and Ching are clicking like they did for the Nats.

13. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    This will really be Sampson's first match with a full side. Hopefully Ruiz and Marshall will come back from what I would assume playing the full 90 in there respective WCQ to be effective.

Since I believe that Sampson will indeed stay in the 3-5-2 (ok more like a 3-5 1/2- 1 1/2 not to be confused with the 3-6-1.

Grabavoy should once again get the call of playing behind Herzog to relief some of the defensive responsibility with the hope that he does not wear down as quickly.

In addition, I still believe Kirovsky still provides Ruiz the best partner up front by at least requiring the San Jose defense to know where he is. This at least provide some space for Ruiz to work.

So my predicted (wishful) lineup is:

Hartman

Califf - Marshall - Saurez

Saragosa - Grabavoy

Cobi - Herzog - Albright

Kirovsky - Ruiz

TequilaJoel, for the record... I know I am not Steve Sampson... but thankfully thankfully I am not TequlaJoel either.

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    san jose midweek result to follow in

what is it with teams doing us favors, the choke-quakes lose at home to cbus 1-0 in the 91st minute. if we could have even put together a half decent post-all star break we would own the league.

15. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. It looks like I can't have both my Red Sox and Galaxy doing well in August/September. . . :(

Anyway. MLS might just be the "who ********ing knows" league. I mean, we played like crap last week. Even our regulars who start played like crap. But then the Galaxy might come out dressed like the frickin' Power Rangers and start elbowing Canadians in the heads. Would I be surprised? Nope.

I think we will eek out a 2-1 win. The winning goal will be because of a Ruiz penalty kick that will have everyone north of Buttonwillow howling bloody f-ing murder.

And I will laugh a chattering skull-like laugh.

16. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve S.

Steve Sampson meter

( PI-- ---- )

Anybody gonna show up for the Galaxy Defence?

if not... come monday there will be an "n" on the meter.

17. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    I'm just going to watch Memo light up the Quakes. Best player ever.

18. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He (and Broome) were suspended for the C'bus game. Both will be available on Saturday.

19. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    Re: Steve S.

TequilaJoel... I would like to buy a vowel.

Although every game is important from here on out. This game is essentially the first time that Sampson will have a full squad utilizing his system.

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And so what's his excuse going to be this time?

21. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

Just to be fair, I haven't heard any excuses from HIM yet.

I think THE excuse will be that he hasn't had his full squad together yet, so they're still working it out.

But, ya know, I watched the US play Panama last night and even in the rain and playing crappy, they were so much quicker to move and attack.

And worse, Cobi looked quicker and played with more intensity with the US team. That makes me think the prob is indemic in the LA team. Why can't we receive a ball, move, get our head up, and look to attack, quick, quick, quick. Oi, I don't understand the malaise.

(sorry to use "indemic" and "malaise" in the same sentence, and probably poorly at that.)

22. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

correct use, incorrect spelling. endemic

23. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

Thank you. I couldn't think of a more anglo-saxonish word that would have the same meaning and feel to it.

24. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can't make it this week, it's my 5th year wedding anniversary, so the wife made other plans for us.

I would love to see Galaxy 5 - 0 Smurfs, but my prediction is Galaxy 2 - 1 Smurfs.

25. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the 2-1 scoreline! ...and maybe the difference is a questionable PK drawn by Fish.......and babyjesus not getting the same call at the other end and bitching all the way to the locker room.......
    :)