LA, Star studed?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ssanchez, Sep 4, 2002.

1. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the kc chicago game on the shootout package and tehy mentioned this weeks game against chicago. They called us "The star studed Los Angeles Galaxy" Are we star studed. And what does that mean. Do we attract more fans when we are in other cities?

2. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fish, Cobi, 'Lexi. I guess they'd count as the star studs. :p

3. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco
    Whoever called the Galaxy "star studded" was delusional. The Galaxy are a great team but only have two great individuals, Jones and Ruiz. I suppose Lalas could be considered a star, but even 3 out of 11 (or 18 or 22) cannot be thought of as a large number of stars by MLS standards.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Particularly where the guy who said it was Max Bretos, who is more impressed with fancy language than facts. I think he felt compelled to say it because the word "galaxy" means "a group of stars" and therefore he had to apply the short version (star-studded) to the team, even though it really is inapposite.

5. Mr. Oz

Mr. Oz New Member

Aug 29, 2001
    California
    You go anywhere in the world and I'm sure they'll know Jones and Lalas. I guess that counts as star studded, no?

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, but virtually every team has one or two players that are well known and high profile. Would you call NY "star studded" because Mathis and Ramos are well known? I don't know.

I would expect the phrase "star studded" to be applied to a team that had stars at virtually every position, or at least most positions. Man U is star studded. Real Madrid is star studded. Galaxy is a well coached team of fair to middling players with one hot finisher - I wouldn't use the phrase "star studded." But then I'm not Max Bretos either.

7. FusionRefugee

FusionRefugee Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Give the man a break! What is he supposed to say "watch Chicago vs. LA they're not very good but I'll make fun of them when they mess up!" He's gotta make the game sound appealing and as far as MLS goes LA is about as star studded as it gets.

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At least they're not the fusion. That would have worked fine. =)

9. carsway

carsway New Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Miami
    Put Mathis and Ramos on a bus and see who recognizes them?