LA stadium webcam

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by The Voice of Reason!, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only in February and only enought to melt Malibu into the ocean (but you people keep coming ANYWAY!!!)

We've just had very low clouds the past couple of days...

2. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    *Bump*

can't wait... almost as much as for The Two Towers...!

3. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    that is from LORD OF THE RINGS??????

or is anything else????

4. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    look!!!!

[​IMG]

this still blury... and if it is raining I'm the king of england....

5. usbfc

usbfc New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    New York City
    Yes, from LOTR... an amazing cinematic milestone - and, equally amazing books.

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most recent pictures of construction at Victoria Street (aka Home Depot National Training Center):

The L.A. Riot Squad has been kind enough to post my September report on its web site. Thanks Eddie! There are now a series of photos taken Sept. 2 with commentary. Hope you enjoy them.

A lot of changes since the August phtos went up.

http://www.lariotsquad.net/riotreport/crsept.htm

The Cadaver

7. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for the pics...

8. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas hill will not have any bleachers or anything on it to start off will it? IIRC it's just going to be a "grassy knoll'?

9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome work Cadaver. Why can't the Galaxy's official web site do reports like this? Looking foward to Octobers report.

10. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    when will the stadium be done?

11. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Projected for early June 2003, which creates some interesting scheduling issues.

Will LAG be on the road for the first month or two of the season? Then will they have all their home games jammed together? Weird.

Small price to pay for a place of their own, though.

12. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the architects' renderings that I have seen, it is shown as a grassy hill with a walkway around the top. Right now it is graded smooth, not tiered, so I do not think there will be seats there. I suppose it does provide some expansion potential.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very small.

14. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    If we some how can't play at the Rose Bowl for a couple of games early next year, I've found some stadiums that could be temporary homes:

Citrus College (Glendora) 10,000 seats - http://info.citruscollege.com/athletics/football/facilities.htm

Titan Stadium (Fullerton) 10,000 seats- http://dailytitan.fullerton.edu/issues/fall_00/pano/titanstadiumpano.html

Drake Stadium (UCLA) 11,700 http://uclabruins.ocsn.com/genrel/062200aae.html

El Camino College (Torrance, close to Carson) 12,106. Couldn't find a pic, but I've been there before.

Seems like all of these would be expandable behind the goal with temporary bleachers.

The Coliseum is out of the question with the lawsuit and the fact that the stadium is a toilet in South Central.

15. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    ??????

(pardon my ingorance)

16. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Great job with the pics, Chuck.

Thanks.

17. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... the inside sources mention that we'll play a "minimum" amount of games at the RB. Whether this means being on the road for the first half of the season or finding an alternate "Naperville-like" stadium is unknown. Season ticket holders were asked to plopa c-note just to show we are still interested even though we have no idea where we will sit or how much tix will be.

But, hey, like someone said: small price to pay for what will be the most amazing soccer stadium in North America.

tm

18. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be a little hesitant to put a as yet to be completed 27k seat stadium over 110,000 seat Azteca. Last time I checked Mexico City was still in North America.

19. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the hill goin to be a General admission type thing? I'm assuming so since there is a retaining wall. If you guys stick the supporters clubs back there on that hill that would be great. You guys have somethin good if that hill is standing room.

20. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, no terrace equivalent. The hill is much too steep to stand on. The retaining wall is a construction element - to keep the hill from eroding or mud slides (a Southern California danger), not the kind of "fans behind the wall" crowd control element you are visualizing. I think Lalas' Hill is just a decorative element, a northern boundary, and a place holder for possible future expansion.

21. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    agree.... thats right... the best stadiums in north america are in mexico... i hope that that could change in the next 20 years...

22. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damn, that sucks. Would've been cool tho.

23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree, but only because of size and quality of fan support.

Here"s where Victoria Street will be competative:

Quality of the pitch - that will be every bit as good as any place in Mexico.

Quality of the dressing rooms - will be first rate.

Fan amenities - food, washrooms, parking - all of that should be absolutely first rate. Don't know how to compare those to the amenities in Mexico since I have not been to those venues.

Seats close to the pitch - maybe better than some of the Mexico stadiums if I judge from photos I've seen.

BUT: 27K full and rocking with fans - that remains to be seen. If it happens, if there is intensity, then maybe Victoria Street will get a rep and with time will get a history. Mexico has shown it can and will fill Azteca and other grounds with loud raucous supporters, and Azteca has a history, with world cup hosting and first rate club games - all of the will take time. You can't buy a history with money, it will take time and fans to build that.

It sort of silly to argue which is "better." It will be enough for me if Victoria Street becomes a great place to go to a match and I will not lose any sleep over whether Azteca is "better."

24. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    Agree with you in all... the fans make the stadiums... not money... i personnaly thinks that the boca's field (La bombonera) sucks big time in the architectural way... but i really think that viewing a match there can be very very good...

25. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA