Pre-match: La Selecta Cuscatleca vs US U-23: 3/26 9pm est

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Maximum Optimal, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The Need for Fresh Legs Against ES

Adu, Mix, Valentin, Opara and Kitchen played all 90 minutes against both Cuba and Canada.

What can be done to mitigate the situation?

It seems to me there isn't much alternative to keeping Opara and Kitchen as the centerbacks.

Valentin hasn't impressed much. I'd give Williams the start at right back.

Adu and Mix are our two most experienced and skillful players out there. I'd start them. But I would plan on subbing them out at some point at half time or relatively early in the second half.

I'd go out with this starting lineup:

---------------Boyd--------------
    --Shea-------Corona------Adu----
    -----------Mix-----Okugo---------
    Villafana--Kitchen--Opara--Williams

I'd plan on subbing Gyau for Adu and Jeffrey for Mix at around the 60th minute. That would leave one sub to be held in reserve for injuries. If no injuries maybe Taylor late for whichever of the attacking players looks most tired.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After being betrayed by our supposed "allies" to the north and beaten on the soccer field by the treacherous Canucks, the US now welcomes El Salvador into the fires of LP Field in Nashville. Surely the Salvadorans will have been tricked by our buxom women and country music in the great city of Nashville and shall now be unprepared for the fury of a nation's wrath as it seeks vengeance for last night. Surely the Salvadorans will not sneak up on our boys like those sneaky Canucks, least we be forced to live in shame for the next four years as we are constantly reminded that we lost to a country that can't even touch both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans! (Seriously look at a map, they can't do it.)

I surely expect nothing more than Barcelona FC showing up on Monday night and putting this one to bed comfortably so that we can all plan on how much BBQ we can eat while in Kansas City, all the while showing the world that clearly the US u-23s are the greatest collection of talent ever assembled on a soccer pitch.

[​IMG]

You know the drill, Universal Sports, MUN2, online concacaf.com

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring it on!

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Need for Fresh Legs Against ES

Gyau should start on the left.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What do we do with Jeffrey?

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let him play the 2nd half.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who plays dmid in the first then? As a Galaxy fan, I don't think I want Michael Stephens anywhere near the pitch. Though he's better than Jeffrey was today on average. Course, Jeffrey probably plays better than himself today on average.

8. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win or Go Home!

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Gyau should start at lm. Period. Shea should be on the bench. And come in at lb later in the game.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm agreeing with this. I wouldnt bring him at LB but I would bench his self-entitled ass.

Adu needs to be a leader. It's time step up. No more excuses and you better bring it.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for this lineup:

------------Boyd----------
    Gyau------------------Taylor
    ---------Adu-----Corona----
    ------------Okugo------------
    Villafana-Valentin-Opara-Williams
    ------------Johnson----------------

Taylor doesn't have to start but we need to bring in fresh legs and I don't know how else to inject freshness into the midfield.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okugo should be the starting dmid since the opposition will be worse than what he plays with in MLS.

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if Corona would make a better captain.

14. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that the defense needs fresh legs as well, but that backfield is going to be porous.
    I hope we qualify.

15. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is my version. Keep Adu where he's strongest, let Corona use whatever physical advantage he has over Adu on the wings. If it doesn't work, a quick switch will be easy and painless...Shea for Gyau, Corona, or Adu.

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth teams, even U-23 youth teams, struggle to be consistent. I think this team was flat (and perhaps a bit tired) last night. There is a need for fresh legs and CP has to be able to trust some of the other horses on the bench.

Win or go home- that's the way the real world gets, so it's good practice for the team. They have the talent, that just need to keep the focus and discipline. We'll pull this one out and then send Mexico home w/o an Olympic bid.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Adu just doesn't do enough in the midfield. When he took Corona's spot yesterday he was either playing as a right-mid or center-forward and did not try at all to be the play maker or center-mid.:mad:

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Keep the ball in the air at all times. I want to see a bombardment of their goal on FKs, corners, and high crosses. They just can't match up with our physicality and our height so I hope we stick to a simple aerial attack.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ES is worse at every position. ES play a decent possession game but can be dominated and turned into sh*t like they did against Mexico in the Gold Cup. Gyau MUST start on the left and Shea should be a super sub. Corona has to play the full 90 even if he turns into a slow defensive-mid. Sean Johnson should stay on the bench and Boyd should start. Sarkodie should start at RB and Villafana at LB. Time do give Stephens some minutes.

20. Agudelo_for_MVP

Agudelo_for_MVP BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We need an overhaul in the lineup.

GK:Johnson
    RB:Williams
    CB:Kitchen
    CB:Valentin
    LB: Villafana
    DM:Okugo
    CM:Corona
    CM:Adu
    LWF:Gyau
    RWF:Taylor
    CF:Boyd

We need to make some changes because some players have not been effective, but we also need to rest guys like Mix, Shea and Hamid who must be tired by now. Bring them off the bench if we need them in the second half, but we got to plan ahead. I think we should be able to beat El Salvador without these guys, but I did also think that we would beat Canada pretty comfortably.

21. dudeman22

dudeman22 Member

May 19, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did El Salvador look against Cuba?

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit dude, Adu is not a good midfielder!:mad:

23. beto07010

beto07010 Member

Aug 4, 2011
    The U.S. will win, and by more than one goal!!

I know El Salvador, and I know that they will lose big. I can't stop hearing my old man about how good this team is lol.. People in El Salvador have no faith in this coach, he's obviously a terrible coach. Look at how they play, they don't play collectively, It's all individuality, and they haven't had a team attack them. I don't know how good their defense really is..They're skilled, El Salvador has always been skilled, their problem is they don't have good coaches and they don't have strength up top! They will be tired and they will try to go through the entire team individually to score a goal. I predict they will tire out by the 2nd half. Not only that, we are just better than they are.

It sucks that we lost to Canada; I wanted the homeland to to advance along with us to the second round, but now we just have to take care of business.

We have skilled players, we're not going to play long balls and kick and run futbol lol..that doesn't play to our strength, we'll be fine..If we lose, everything I've learned and said about futbol is complete garbage and I will stop talking futbol until I learn something..But this is unlikely:D

24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I humbly apologize to Bigsoccer for missing the match, as it is no doubt the reason Canada surprised. I won't miss this match though.

I have no idea what the lineup could be, so I'll just throw out a group of the freshest possible players with a few exceptions.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Gyau, Boyd, Taylor, Stephens, Adu (AM), Diskerud, Shea, Valentin, Okugo, Williams, Johnson[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Corona's legs will be more fresh than Adu's.