La selección hondureña II

Discussion in 'Honduras' started by Catracho_Azul, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    @Sanchito come and weep now that Carlo is no longer with us.

With that said, Copa Centro Americana starts in September, and as we all know, winner gets a ticket to Copa Centenario 2016.

Rafael Callejas has just announced that Jonathan Mejia will be called-up for La Copa Centro Americana regardless of who the new coach is. #boom

Sanchito repped this.
  2. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I'm in...the post Costly futbol world feels what it's like to lose a limb....<sigh>...I wish he would play in Mexico so we can watch him on a weekly...c'est la vie....in.

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yea, it's a bit weird and saddening, but look on the brightside, he might take his talents to Peñarol of Uruguay.. Copa Libertadores to tremble in fear. He did state that if there was an emergency, that Costly would not refuse the call, but expects the younger guys to step up. Dude speaks like a true hero.

Sanchito repped this.
  4. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Costly was a late bloomer and does not have too many miles on him. His game was not based on speed so I think we have not seen the last of him with la H. Although, like catrachoazul has been saying, we have some talented youngsters that need to start yelling together and need playing time.

5. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Yep, he just exudes leadership and confidence and embodies a "don't give a fcuk" attitude I think most Central American teams possess to a degree. I think people on BSMX think I'm joking when I talk about Costly, I'm not. He's one of my favorite players of all time and I was really happy to see him score in the World Cup.

Moises and Catracho_Azul repped this.
  6. Chelelobo

Chelelobo Member

Jun 18, 2008
    If I'm next Honduras coach:
    Identify creative, attacking center mids immediately.
    This entire WC and WC qualifying process was helpful showing us exactly what we need to be able to compete in big games. Ever since Amado Guevara moved on, we have lacked midfielders who want the ball consistently, keep the ball and provide creative combinations with players ahead of him. We have/had a surplus of holding mids which is great but asking them to do the creative thinking is too much and not a solution. We played the most direct of any team in qualifying and WC because of our missing links in the middle. We were able to win games because of physicality and occasional good individual efforts up front. Personally, I'm tired of seeing us play this style of futbol and think we have the tools to join the modern game and be more effective than many countries playing this way because of what the Honduran player offers(very rare for such a small country). I would like to hear from you guys about who potential candidates are to fill the CM roll.

7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    In all honesty, we don't have one of those lol. Closest thing to that is Alex Lopez and Aldo Oviedo... But both haven't had the best of times recently with their respective clubs.

8. Chelelobo

Chelelobo Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Not good. That's really bad news. Expect the same style/results until these type of players emerge.
    Reason many of the worlds top scorers don't shine as bright with national team = lack of creative midfielders. I'm not expecting xavi and iniesta to come out of the Honduran woodwork but I'm really hoping we find a coach who puts in time trying to change our system to a more technical one with savvy, creative, problem solving players in the middle of the park. I'd also like a coach who realizes that teaching team defending is one of the EASIEST parts of the game and that team attacking out of middle 1/3 and attacking 1/3 should be emphasized/encouraged from day 1.

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    dude, you're in over your head if that's what you expect from our coach. I just want a coach that knows how to effectively make the most of what we have to offer. I think we can offset the need of a xavi type player with a system and formation that offers alternatives. We look at CR and they have a destroyer in the mid and a link up guy, not someone who controls the time and dictates the pace or the game.

10. Chelelobo

Chelelobo Member

Jun 18, 2008
    I think CR are a little more than you describe. You never make it that far because of 2 guys. Also, expecting a coach to change a system is asking too much? Wow. Look at USA , Klinsmann finally took the job because they gave him control of the youth curriculum. The senior side didn't show too well but do have a better system now although it breaks down technically. I think Honduras can do they same but are ahead of US players because of higher soccer iq and deeper technical player pool.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Dude CR plays a two man mid of Celso and Yeltsin.. Yeltsin the ball winner and Borges the guy who links play from defense to attack. They run a 5-3-2 into a 3-5-2, They have a creative trident of Christian Bolaños, Joel Campbell, and Bryan Ruiz.. None of those players build an attack from the middle.. They never push the initiative, they sit back and wait for u to attack and then blitz forward. Look at how they've scored... Joel scores off a corner, Duarte off a freekick, Urena from a deep thruball on a counter, Bryan Ruiz on a cross from the left wing, Bryan on a ball played diagonal to him. Nothing came from a xavi type player or play, they don't have one.

Next, Ilinnsman hasn't done anything at the youth set-up, except they play the same formula which seen their U-20 team crap out in the U-20 WC and we eliminated their U-17. Ilinnsman came in and got the same exact results bob Bradley did with a similar method and style. Next?

12. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ruiz is that link player that chelelobo is talking about. Trying to copy Costa Rica is not the way to go anyways, we have very different playing styles and player pools.

What we need is much better ball control, first touch and mental quickness. Specially our defense and defensive midfield players. I am pretty sure Anderlecht will develop Najar into that focal point midfielder that we have needed for the last 8 years. Other than that, we just need a Xabi Alonso light type player, someone that will get the ball from our destroyer and pepper long/short passes to the rest of the team.

13. I Think During The Qualifiers And The Pre WC Friendlies I Was In Denial About The Quality Of Our Team. The WC performance Really Showed How Poor Was Our Team.

14. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    The one quality I noticed that was lacking with Honduras was first touch on a pass...they are really heavy footed....passes were too hard and the players could not receive them...I think initially they have to be bunker style team and focus on counterattacks...they can't play tu por tu quite yet.

15. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    We really need to start getting better coaching in our league. It is very worrisome that most of our young talent seem to plateau in their early 20's and most seem to get worst by the time they hit their mid 20's. Maybe the league owners should stop hiring foreign coaches and start giving a chance to the u-17, u-20 coaches that seem to manage to put competitive teams in international competitions.

If we don't manage to produce high level attacking midfielders and defenders, we will keep getting blasted whenever we play competitive teams. We need to start from scratch in certain positions and just take a licking with the young guns and hope they learn from the experience because we can't have troncos like Beckeles, M. Martinez and Bengtson taking away playing time from promising players.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    We've already tried that.. What is Emilio Umanzor?? Dude got wrecked in La Liga Nacional. These youth coaches are just that, youth coaches. Not one successful coach in Honduras came up from coaching youths. Jocon Reyes, Reynaldo Clavasquin, Gilberto Yearwood, Nerlin Membreño, etc.

17. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    How about someone with international experience with another country preferably with some measure of success? Bob Bradley? He can work on defense and counter attacking. I think an offensive approach like a LaVolpe style would be premature. You all have decent speed and good size. There's no reason you shouldn't be doing well on set pieces. Especially against shorter teams. What would you say the Honduran style is?

18. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Our game has always been about speed and explosiveness. I am sure that it pains all the Honduran faithful to see how lethargic and unwilling to take risks we have become.

Our teams have never been defensive focused, we always played a joyful bombarding forward in waves kind of game. I hope we return to that. The hack and long ball prayers we have adopted recently has to stop.

Sanchito repped this.
  19. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Ahhhh. That's why I went down that path. I only started watching Honduras in the late 2000s. Sounds like you need LaVolpe in your life!

Seeing Pavon burn Agoos was worth the watch. God I hate the USMNT.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    That sort of team will never ever ever ever ever come to exist in Honduras again. We simply do not have the player pool right now to play like that again. Just look at that phucking team, Guevara, Rambo, Turcios, Pavon, Caballero, Reyes, Guerrero, Nuñez, Suazo.. All in their prime or youth. I still remember when Suazo absolutely carved Mexicos defense out by himself in 01 in San Pedro Sula. Poor Marquez or Suarez trying to run or step toe-to-toe with Suazo, he'd blow right by them and it wouldn't even be close. We don't have those type of players anymore with amazing technical abilities and speed. Our defenders now are natural troncos and so is our forwards. That early 2000s team finished third in Copa America eliminating R9. It's impossible to get that back.

21. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    We can always attempt to build a team similar to what we had in the early 2000's. A good start would be to stop playing three defensive mids in the starting lineup to go along with static forwards.

We have the speed in Reyes, quioto, najar, lacayo. We just need to pair them with a forward that can play alone up top and a mid that will deliver proper balls when they make their runs. Rochez and Mejia seem capable of playing alone up top but I don't see any complete midfielders in our current crop.

22. Anthony Robert

Oct 22, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Apparently this man can read the future. Pretty pessimistic for someone with that ability

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    No, I'm a realist. You guys sound mad delusional.. Since you follow Honduran futbol Robert, whose the new Guevara, Rambo, danilo??? New Pavon??? We don't have one. From the youth to the seniors. Quioto, Reyes, najar,... They're just wingers, they don't possess half the IQ the previous three have on or off the ball. Be real, Guevara passing was unique and so was his talent to control a mid, rambos set piece and crossing along with his finesse is rare now in Honduras.

The new Tyson, Lacayo is all we got. Rochez is a target forward, Quioto is just pace, no technique. Najar and Reyes are wingers with decent ability to play a pass. Our best hope is Bryan Velasquez prolly... Face the music.

I'm not saying we can't be good, but let's not.pretend like we have the pieces at any level to play like 01 honduras. Yall the same ones who thought Honduras wouldn't be embarrassing just cuz we beat Mexico in Mexico.

24. cookiefritas

cookiefritas Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    As far as sports go, all we do is play soccer. We should be able to find a serviceable number 10, specially if we manage to get him overseas early on in his career. I have not lost all hope in Alex Lopez yet, he has been sucking up the joint lately, but still has youth on his side.

We will probably never make it deep in a world cup, but winning a Copa Oro and winning a couple of games at Copa America and the Worlcup is certainly achievable in the next 8 years.