LA/RB: Best game in our history?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Michael Mejido, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    I still have a special feeling about the Gio 3 goal Tampa Bay game. But this was damn, damn close.

2. LuckyCharms

LuckyCharms New Member

May 26, 2007
    New York
    After all the hype and wait I couldn't have asked for any more. Except Jon Conway.

3. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Best game I've ever seen in person, hands down.

4. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    I was thinking of starting a tread pretty much with the same topic. It was just so close to perfect.

1- To start off, the weather was perfect. So often when we have a big came comming up the weather is horrible. Either extreame cold or torrential rain will come down and drive people away. We actually had a freakin' beautiful day for this game.

2- The crowd was large, and pro NY. Yeah, there were people cheering Becks, but their cheers when he would go to take a free kick or corner were drowned out by people who booed, as if to remind them "Becks plays for the other team". Great atmosphere.

3- Lots of goals. Seemed like most of LA's goals were pretty soft (and for that matter, so was our 1st goal), but there were some beauties as well (Both of Jozy's and Clint's).

4- Clint breaks gets goal 45 to become the Metro goal scoring leader.

5- NY wins!!!!

5. kahlva

kahlva New Member

Feb 2, 2007

Don't forget Angel.

Arc It Like Angel.

6. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    What an incredible game.

Amazing pace throughout. Great show by ESC. 9 goals and even more missed chances on both sides.

I certainly won't forget this game for years to come.

7. Kelly Hrdina

Kelly Hrdina Member

RBNY
    United States
    Oct 22, 2001
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon apparently thought that Angel was going to arc that free kick. So did his wall :)

8. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that game was nuts, best i've been to, almost 67k, we broke the MLS record

9. RBNY07

RBNY07 New Member

May 30, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this game was absolutely fantastic. except for the fact that walrus sucks.

10. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I brought my friend to his first soccer game back on May 24th for the Fire game. He remembered that game like he was still there. I brought him to his 2nd game tonight...he even said it was the best game he had ever seen.

Classic. If that doesn't make soccer fans, nothing is going to.

11. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there! Still, I have to say that this game tops that one, as the quality of play, of the goals was so superior to that 1996 game. Oh, and all of the Becham hype and then, of course, we won the game with minutes left. Greatest MLS regular season game ever!

12. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Hands down the best MLS game Ive ever seen (TV or in person). The crowd was phenomenal with their interaction with th eplay ont the field, and i think that really helped to push the players.

Most of the guys left it all on the field:
    1-Becks was supposed to sub out, but wanted to stay in because of the intense game
    2-Mathis limps off
    3-Altidore limps off
    4-Pavon was absolutely winded by the 60th minute
    etc...etc...

13. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    As thrilling as Gio's hattrick truly was (I was there and as everyone says it was absolutely amazing), last night tops them all in terms of the extreme emotional peaks and valleys. Just as you were freaking out over taking the lead, bam, they've equaled. The despair, the sense of "oh no, not again" was finally overcome.

The stakes were never higher.

And at the end an Angel gave us a miracle.

14. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, I too have to agree that the game and the situation could not have been better. This was a huge bullseye (no pun intended) for RBNY and MLS. Last night there was a huge crowd, national TV, Beckham playing the full game, and a non-stop goal filled action packed game with the RBs winning right at the end with a nearly impossible shot. That was a perfect display to draw in newbies. A 0-0 or 1-0 game for true soccer fans that also know international soccer would have accepted it as a great game if it was very well played. However, for many first game, brandnew, soccerfans in the stands it would not have appreciated it as much as it turned out last night.

I haven't seen or felt this much excitment and rivalry in a regular season game since the NASL Cosmos when the Sounders, White Caps, Rowdies or Tea Men came to GS. Yes, it sure has been quite a while.

This is what the Red Bulls and MLS needed. Who knows, maybe attendance will go up?

15. TalkMLS

TalkMLS New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Buffalo, NY area
    This was a THRILLER! I would have to say the BEST game I've seen, and whats a shame is this game should've been moved to FOX... that way they could've seen how many more people that would tune in that does not have the Fox Soccer Channel. It was also good to see Beckham get those two assists, but in the end it was GREAT to see New York get the victory and the much needed three points.

16. gfranc79

gfranc79 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    NYC
    It was a great game, and the tix I got was freebie so I couldnt complain. If I had paid for the 50 buck upper deck tix I still would have gotten my moneys worth. The big crowd obviously hyped the players up. I think Richards was awesome last night. He took it to the LA defense. Beckham looked hurt at times off the ball but he made a lot of accurate long passes, which is something LA is lacking. Im sure his level of play will get even better when he plays 100 percent fit. Altidore was incredible, was playing with a lot of confidence. Juan Pablo Angel was on point as well, he is worth every penny. Im glad FSC got the game because ESPN would have turned this game into a celebrity circus show. I hate the "Beckham cam" on ESPN; they certainly dropped the ball on MLS with all that crap. Overall, best Football game I have seen at GS or anywhere else. What really sealed it for me was the fact that the game had a constant intensity which usually is depleted in the 2nd half. The temperature was very cool and perfect for a game. I am sure if it was 90F we wouldnt have seen such a great offensive display.

17. Kidtelex

Kidtelex New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    was SO thankful that all I heard was booing during free/corner kicks from beckham. that gives me tons of hope for our future's fanbase. New York/Metropolitan area has the most passionate fans ever. hence the incredible atmosphere.

18. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
  19. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best game and most important.

With 66k in the stands - with MLS and Beckham's reputation on the line - with new RedBulls owners with a rocky start - and with the damn painted plastic - all on the line - who could have ever imagined a game that would eventually be that good.

Bye bye Nicola Caricolla own goal - bye bye 4-0 Galaxy thumping - bye bye Giants stadium - thank you for the good times and the bad times.

Hello RedBull Park and MLS 2.0 in a new decade that looks like it is going to really make it's mark.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Who remembers Metro/Quakes 2003 at the swamp. The exciting 4-4 & the Guevara towel snap.

Who remebers Metro/Quakes Part 2 in 2004 at Spartan The impressive 5-5 draw where Cornell Glen's rocket in the first half & back heel flick made a dramatic comeback to take a point as well as the two long bombs by Fabian Taylor & Joselito Vaca that splashed the upper far corner.

This one is even sweeter because Josy got a brace, Angel got a brace & Clint smacked home the record breaker. And they defeated Beckham. Unbelieveable.

:mad::eek::D

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there (it was during the State Fair as I recall).

Agreed, this one tops them all when you factor in everything.

22. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    This is true. This game had a little (actually alot) of everything.

If you didn't enjoy this one I would not only say you'll never be a soccer fan, but I'd also have to check you for a pulse.

23. louis09

louis09 Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed ...best game i have ever seen in person.

Great crowd......Great weather......Great Game.......I am still horse from the game....but well worth it.

Hopefully we will see a nice carry over on Sept 1

24. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Except good goalkeeping.