La Liga to be reduced to 18 teams???

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Madrid_1902, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/otras/es/desarrollo/657508.html

Blatter was saying today that Fifa now has the power to reduce leagues to 18teams. This means that La Liga will be affected as it has 20 teams. I'm not too sure on the Spanish FA's stance on the matter, however, through the English FA I heard that Fifa can not impose this rule and it can only be implemented by the 20 teams in the respective league.

I'm not in favour of the idea. Blatter says that it will allocate more time for the national teams but I see this as discrimination against minnow teams who don't have any players of international-level quality. These concessions are being made to the big players so the little teams must suffer. Also I prefer the national domestic leagues to international football so I will be disappointed if the calender is cut short. Your thoughts?

2. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    I had a thread going about this topic a month ago (The Spanish Contraction) and I have some of my controversial opinions on it, but this is good news for all of football around the world and I hope no one is stupid enough to challenge it.

3. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FIFA has been saying this since Christ was a corporal. FIFA wants to reduce the league fixtures so they can pack on meaningless friendlies. There is no money on friendlies and the money is in league play. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see the RFEF reducing the liga to 18 teams anytime soon. The bottomline is that these guys are professionals earning millions and if they don't want to play 60-75 matches a year they can become dishwashers or God forbid soccer correspondents for any of the Spanish sports rags that only spew out lies day after day after day!

Viva Er Beti Manque Lopera y Sus 53% De Acciones!!

Er Pichi

4. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    Pichi is pretty jealous of the Oscar Serranos and the Ludovic Delportes of the world. I think they should reduce the amount of teams because there will be better matches on a more regular basis, the quality of players will improve and they will be more fit to play less games in the end. About the football correspondents, I hope you're not taking aim at Michael Robinson or some of the good ones. Michael tries so hard to speak perfect Spanish and he's a pretty interesting analyst. On the other hand, Michel has no right to be providing colour commentary anymore for TVE, he completely sucks and is boring. I'm not sure what his name is, but the reporter with the mustache that hosts Estadio 2 on Saturday evenings and does some on field reporting is one of the best football journalists in the world.

5. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I specifically referred to journalists not commentary guys!

Viva Er Beti y Aupa Espana!

Er Pichi

6. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    EPL have already said that they aren't going to reduce the league. I'm pretty sure the LFP will join them.

7. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    It's not going to happen because no one takes Sepp Blatter or FIFA seriously.

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that they should reduce La Liga to 18 teams. The teams will perform better in matches and there will be a smaller gap in quality between teams. I really don't see what four more rounds will do so 34 should be fine.

9. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Me too, but the clubs are no going to like that.

10. latin_styles

latin_styles New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I must agree here. Fifa is a joke and has it's own agenda much like ALL political and business organizations.

11. ninodelsol

ninodelsol New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Chicago-Belize-Mex.
    IThe amount of teams/regular leaugue games is fine as-is -- dozens of club and national team tournaments around the world every year (many of them meaningless) is what makes things congested.

12. robinho4ever

robinho4ever New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    noway this is just rumors la liga will still be 20 teams!