La Liga Game 9: Zaragoza vs. Real Madrid (R)

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by bkn0528, Oct 27, 2003.

1. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    La Liga Game 9: Real Madrid vs. Zaragoza (R)

No Beckham, Salgado is doubtful.

Can't see this game as I'll be at work. Wish I could, cause I'd like to see Milito.

2. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    La Liga. Game 9. Real Zaragoza - Real Madrid [R]

First half has ended 0-0. The game is a sold out. Real Madrid is controling well the game. entertained game.

Starting line up:

Casillas
    Salgado, Pavon, Raul Bravo, Roberto Carlos
    Figo, Helguera, Guti, Zidane
    Raul, Ronaldo

The best RM players in the first half Guti and Figo.

3. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Final result 0-0. It wasn't the day of Raul and Ronaldo. Raul failed some very clear goal chances.

Pavon received a red card (second yellow) in the 25 minute of the second half. In my opinion a rigorous red card. I think that it is the first time that Pavon see a red card playing with the first team. Pavon leaves the field very upset, and he is a quiet player. After that the game changed and RM had very few goal chances.

The keys of the game were:
    1- the goals that failed Ronaldo, Raul and the rest of the team in the first half and in the begining of the second half.

2- the red card of Pavon.

If Deportivo win tomorow, they could to take an advantage of 4 points over us.

Pavon won't play in the next game, and Queroz will have to change the starting 11 again.

4. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    How did Milito do?

5. Martin Cutler

Martin Cutler New Member

Sep 30, 2002
    San Diego
    Madrid Forever I think has pretty accurately described the game. Ronaldo and Raul both were pretty poor today but both also were well marked by Zaragoza's defenders. Milito had an excellent game, it makes me still wish he had become a merengue this summer. I still feel Madrid will regret not signing him. Overall it was a pretty mediocre game but I think that isn't surprising considering both teams played on two days rest.

I agree with Madrid Forever that the red card (double yellow) to Pavon was very rigorous. Mejuto Gonzalez has never been one of my favorite referees. He's card happy.

6. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

7. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Sorry, bkn0528 had already started a thread of the same topic. My fault.

Can a moderator merge this thread to the bkn0528 thread?

Thank you.

8. MADRIZ

MADRIZ New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    CALIFORNIA
    playing this way, this madrid is going nowhere. this is the third bad game in a row.
    milito had a great game because he was facing two of the slowest , awkward and overrated forwards who make tons of money and can't convert easy goals.any other defender could have done it.
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw ronaldo block roberto carlos' free kick, his big belly was in the way.
    sometimes you think that del bosque never left.
    this queiroz shows up with the same clique at every game. zidane was begging to be relieved, he had a horible game, why doesn't he rest him?
    the same goes for raul and ronaldo. what's portillo doing there? why doesn't he get a chance?
    now solari is a forward, he comes on for ronaldo.why play helguera with an injury but not take the risk with beckham?
    que pasa queiroz?
    finally I would like to know why are the fans so hard on guti and forgive raul for the *#*#*#*#*#*# way he is playing.

9. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done.

10. anirbanblah

anirbanblah New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    India
    Milito was the best player in the match IMO. He's in a different class from Pavon and Raul Bravo. But this I shall elaborate on in the Milito thread.

I feel that Queiroz is making the same mistakes as del Bosque... he is obsessed with reputations rather than performance. With Zidane clearly tired and out off it, Solari should have played at least the entire second half in his place. Also, if one of your forwards is off form, please replace him with a forward rather than a midfielder. This the the second consecutive game he replaced Ronaldo with Solari and it's baffling with Portilo sitting on the bench. It shows a lack of cojones... kinda like when Del Bosque used to play Guti is a forward when it was obvious he was better at distributing than finishing. Solari will create, especially when he is on form, but you still need a finisher and when raul and Ronaldo are looking off-colour, you obviously need a Portillo.

I feel bad for the kid. 2 years ago I had a conversation with someone near Plaza Mayor about the impact Portillo would make on the team, how he was the next Raul, and how he was as good as Torres. 2 years down the line, all he does is warm the bench and run around like a headless chicken for 5 minutes at the end of matches. He should sign a contract that lets him play only Copa Del Rey and attend all important matches only after the 70th minute. That will still give him 15 minutes to warm up. As for developing and fulfilling his potential, he had better wait another 2 years, then Betis will buy him and then he can play in the first XI.

Did anyone else want to switch off their TV after that crazy chance when raul got clean through and shot directly at the keeper, in this confused chip shot that did not get 2 feet off the ground, and also lacked power or placement?

It also amazes me how cheaply madrid gives the ball away. There must have been at least 15 passes straight to zaragoza players, and when they lose it, they just don't fight to win it back, just wait until the attack fissles out in the defensive third. I never thought I would say this in the beginning of the season but we need Beckham back badly, at least then the team seems to show some strength and some spirit.

I also disagree on Guti. he had a few very nice moments (like the pass to raul) but over 90 minutes he isn't impactful enough. He tends to disappear from time to time and for someone who is supposed to link defence and attack, he doesn't defend with enough commitment, and gives away the ball too often in attack. And his tough guy attempts when he is fouled, pushing people around and threatening to lose his temper, after his sissy play in defence (plus bibi anderson :)) irritate me. I know Guti is a local boy but Roberto Carlos should be vice-captain, not Guti.

Summary: Worst game since the debacle against Valencia