La Liga Coverage So far...

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by cescfabregas, Aug 26, 2006.

1. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a disastrous way for GolTV to begin LaLiga coverage..

2. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    care to go into details for some of us that don't know what happened?

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm curious to know myself. I watched the first half live, and just now I Tivo'd through the 2nd half a bit quickly. Transmission was fine, never went on the blink. Saw nothing "disastrous". :confused:

4. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure.. With local commentary by Phil and Ray, it was a poor way to begin coverage knowing for a fact that the primary discussion through the game will focus on Joaquim's transfer and any other news available on yahoo.com which we all have access to and dont need to have reiterated to us all over again for 90mins.
    To make a long story short - they lack the ability to put the game in perspective. With a game like Valencia/Betis, a commentator with insight and access to news we dont have should have been fielded, how many times will they hear this complain. I for one would rather watch a complete european broadcast of alaves/accrington fc than sit around and watch any of this weekend La liga broadcast or the Bayern game on GolTV.

In perspective - Ray,Phil and GolTV should use the coverage of ManU's games away from home so far as a benchmark. The commentators are not taking anything away from the game by hammering on Ronaldo's boos from the crowd all thru the game, with the watford game - cynincally the commentator mentioned "thats Ronaldo" the first 12secs of the game and we heard nothing about it again thru the entire game. We know what happened, we all saw - its not news and we dont need two people putting it all in perspective for us.

I get nightmares just thinking GolTV will pick up CL broadcast and subject me to the rambles and rants of two wanna be football commentators like Phil and Ray.

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Oh so the title should have read. Why I don't dig GolTV's coverage so far....:rolleyes:

6. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Why i dont dig GolTV La Liga Coverage So far...

There you go..

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that would be the complaint.

While Phil & Ray aren't bad at all, I would prefer that they give us the world feed commentators whenever available.

If GolTV wants to pick up some domestic games, then by all means have Phil & Ray commentate those.

8. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i fail to see the disaster here. Phil and Ray are not the greatest commentators. i get it. but they aren't the worst either. I watch the game for the game, not for the voices.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Ray and Phil wouldn't be half bad if it weren't for Phil. If you are doing PbP then do it.....don't need two color commentators at the same time. Someone should keep the general focus on the game. For multiple long stretches neither one bothered to mention a single thing about the game in progress, choosing to discuss tangentially related topics instead. It is infuriating. And, yes, I could simply turn the audio down....but I pay for a full broadcast, not half. Good commentary adds to the viewing experience, otherwise they wouldn't bother with it all, and just play games with crowd noise.

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I pretty much agree with the use of commentators. I watched Real Madrid-Villarreal online and hearing Paul Breen Turner commentate was music to my ears. We'll see if GolTV allows its viewers to listen to him or gives us their own announcers when they show the game Tuesday night.
    Having said that, I'm grateful to watch ANY La Liga match on television seeing as GolTV apparently had to battle ESPN Deportes for the rights. (I don't have access to ESPN Dep and want to record as many Barca games as possible) So I won't be hating on the announcers too much. ;)

11. joebloe888

joebloe888 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 1, 2005
    Fuyutu Island
    Actually, ESPN Deportes didn't put up much of a fight to get La Liga.

A "third bidder", however, was responsible for jacking up the price of La Liga in the US and Canada market in order to try to screw GolTV.

12. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA
    OK, who was the 3rd bidder?

I really prefer the direct feed myself. I can't stand when Phil calls the players by the wrong name, which happens alot.

Please Gol TV - we want Paul Breen Turner, and the other 2 commentators.

Leave Phil and Ray to the Domestic games or Central American games.

13. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hopefully GolTV only have the rights for this season - i can already see i am in for a ruined La Liga and Serie A season. SETANTA - be that competitor for next season rights to these two leagues and i will be more than happy to pay for that setanta extra channel provided you keep the quality you have so far.

Am watching the barca game - why do we have the feed from europe and not the in-house commentary? I have asked for the rationale behind using phil/ray/ ??? and no response from goltv.

Remembering the days of foxsportsworld in the late 90s, who would have thought they would become so irrelevant when it comes to football broadcast in the US come 2006.Those early days when edgar davids was 22 or 23, not much of an internet access, we got all our news from the commentators,they updated on all the latest football news around the globe - we had no problem paying our cable bills cos we recieved donation on a monthly basis from those who didnt even live in that apartment but needed that channel. How about ESPN Deportes - who needs them now? i remember sending emails on a weekly basis some two years ago, Now i have SETANTA and espn can go to blazes.

14. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He needs to loose the fake spanish accent too - he sounds like moronish trying to call those names.

15. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA
    Maybe Phil and Ray are on vacation today - :p

16. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    phil did the "pre-game".

cescfabregas... if you let something like this bother you so much just mute the tv or listen to the spanish side of the commentary.

don't speak spanish? maybe you should learn.

to be honest the guy they had doing the barca game today is the guy i refer to as "the annoying guy" because i don't remember his name, and the way he talks is really annoying. He's spanish (i think) and speaks english in a nasal voice and has a very weird rhythm.

I don't let it ruin the game for me.

17. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    such drama.

mute and listen to radio marca or something. :D

18. dah_sab

dah_sab New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    If you also have access to the Spanish-language GolTV by all means watch that for La Liga. Even if you don't understand much Spanish you will still be pulled into the match by the commentators' enthusiasm & emotion. And keep in mind that since it's just soccer they're talking about they use a fairly limited vocabulary (there just aren't many ways to say ball, corner, shoots, foul, goal, etc.,) which you'll pick up w/o much, if any, effort in a very short time.

The big problem with US-based English-language commentators is that they try to apply the gridiron style to a completely different type of game. They are afraid of silence so feel compelled to talk non-stop for 90 minutes even when they don't have anything substantial to impart to the audience. Some of the guys I've heard on GolTV obviously follow the leagues and know what they're talking about yet their insistence on non-stop blather means they are often caught by surprise when a goal is scored which makes it a totally awkward experience for the viewer.

The guys on the Spanish side mostly concentrate on play-by-play rather than meaningless drivel and are able to build to a crescendo as the teams begin to threaten their opponent's goal. If you were in another room listening to the game as a kind of background noise, in English you'd have no idea of the rhythm of the game whereas, even if you don't understand Spanish, you would have a fairly clear idea of what's happening because the pitch & cadence of their play-by-play varies depending on what's happening on the field.

Contrary to the apparent philosophy of the American-based announcers (talk talk talk and more talk) most of the Spanish-language guys understand that their job is to act as a conduit between the action on the field and the audience at home. They draw you into the game. When done well it's almost an art. Of course some are better at it than others. I'm not going to pretend that all the Spanish guys are perfect but generally speaking they're far better than the Americans.

The Spanish style, though, is much harder to do in English, maybe because Spanish has more words ending with vowels so the language seems to flow better. So the best English commentators, like, IMO, Martin Tyler or Peter Brackley, talk less than the Spanish guys yet are still able to draw you into the action & excitement of the game in a more understated manner better suited to English by suddenly talking a bit faster, a bit louder and then understanding that since the goooooooooollll call is best left to Spanish they let the crowd do most of the talking when a goal is scored.

In contrast, the Americans seem to never be sure just what to do and end up either suddenly, awkwardly screaming or, even more embarassingly, attempt a poor imitation goooooollll while we at home stare at our shoes and hope the moment passes quickly.

Short off-topic note - the Euro-based guys who call most of the Bundesliga matches on GolTV (I've only seen one game where they used GolTV's announcers on the English side) are pretty good, especially the ageless Toby Charles. The English guys who call Serie A matches on TeleLatino (Canadian) are decent but Paddy Agnew would be better if he took the rocks out of his mouth and actually spoke into the microphone.

That said my favorite guys to listen to are Sid Lowe and Paul Giblin calling La Liga on WorldSport in English. And wouldn't you know it, they pretty much talk non-stop. Maybe it's because I'm starved for opinionated conversation about La Liga or maybe it's that these guys are both funny and knowledgeable while not bothering to conceal their hatred of Real Madrid - whatever, I think they're the best duo available on American TV. Go figure.

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well. Then. These thread should then be:

20. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Easy enough to recognize "wanna be" soccer fan.

21. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Not the worst?? Took your guys 5mins (arguing i might add)to differentiate between Mutu and Pasquale during the build up to the 2nd goal.. Only morons are capable of such feats.

Setanta into homes is about a year or so old and no one seem to be complaining about the service they offer..

22. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    did you know who it was? if so, then what did you need the commentators for? and if not, they corrected themselves. i hear the pros in england mis-identify guys all the time. i hear the same thing anytime a commentator is not at the stadium because they are relying on replays. yeah it sucks that they don't use the commentary that's on the feed. maybe it saves them some cash, who knows. but it's not the travesty you are making it out to be.

23. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its their job to know not mine Gutbomb - thats what football commentary is about and thats what i am paying for on a monthly basis. If i have to pay it is more than a travesty, its not a free service so i expect nothing less than the best quality. I am not a casual or bulletin board football fan.. BTW - make your point, why the attack? I thought this was a free board - i dont care whose c==k you want to suck out of the moronic bunch @ goltv, thats your damn biz. Phil Schoen, Ray and Lisey are not a football Commentators. Its that simple....
    When will Goltv realize there market is not just for americans who are just waking up to soccer...

24. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Claim to be an arsenal fan - bet you cant even afford to register or pay your dues as a fan, never have been outside of your county - not to mention your airport or venture to London to make it to the stadium or any other stadium in europe. POS...

25. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    I have a suggestion to you. Since it's more than a travesty, do NOT pay. STOP! Drop the service that you have and do NOT watch Serie A. Watch baseball.

You pay peanuts (GolTV only gets a few pennies from your subscriptions) for Serie A on a niche channel and you expect nothing less than the best quality? What a joke! Do you know the best quality sportscasting in this country is something you do NOT have to pay for? e.g. Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA finals, on the networks....

No one put a gun in your head and force you to pay for GolTV. If you think GoltV should guarantee you the best quality then by all means do NOT pay...