La Liga All-Time XI: Foreign Players?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Gregoriak, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Which 11 non-Spanish players would you select for an All-Time Spanish League XI?

2. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Damn. First reply, 13 months later. :D

I'd probably go with these:

---------------Songo'o

--Koeman------Breitner------Djukic

--------------Mauro Silva

Di Stefano----M. Laudrup------Cruyff

----------------Kubala

-------Hugo Sanchez----Puskas

(or something like that)

3. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ........................Marcel Domingo

Angloma.....Santamaria......Koeman....Roberto Carlos

............................Redondo

................Maradona............Cruyff

.......Kubala...........Di Stefano..........Puskas

It was difficult to pick an RB, and I had to ask my father the name of that Atletico keeper he always said was so good. Spain has always had many good keepers, it seems.

Edit: Cha Cha Futbol, I chose Redondo over Silva, but IMO hes was practically on the same level, and he was more longevous. Dfinitely an overlooked and underrated player.

4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Not bad. It was hard for me not to choose Santamaria... Roberto Carlos was also one of my choices, but I finally thought Djukic had an amazing career in Spain, and he should deserve some recognition.

Funny, I was trying to decide between them, and that's precisely how I made up my mind. Lack of longevity in la liga was why I didn't pick Maradona, BTW.

And in general I recognize I might be a little biased with my selection as it includes mostly players I've seen in action in the Spanish league.

5. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I was just trying that their positions made a minimum of sense.

If take into consideration their career achievements in Spain, then Maradona probably doesn't make it and Cruyff maybe makes it. And Hugo would be there for sure.

6. eraro2001

eraro2001 New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    canada
    but quys you fogot Ronaldinho!!!:D

7. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    little 2 quick to vote in Ronaldinho, though if he spends a long part of his career in Spain he will be in that lineup.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How about Rivaldo ? He played great for Deportivo and Barcelona. How is he rated in Spain ?

9. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rivaldo simply can't make this XI. The attack positions are covered by true legends and he's a step or two below that.

10. Valenciano

Valenciano New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Its very hard to make an all-time team, so i'd like to try a 2005-06 foeign players team. what do you all guys think?

............................................1. S. Viera..............................................
    ........................................................................................................
    ...........................6. G. Milito...............15. Edmilson...............................
    ........................................................................................................
    11. Cicinho....................................................................24. E. Moretti.
    .......................................................................................................
    ......................................4. R. Marquez (C)..........................................
    ......................................................................................................
    ...............18. J. Arango......................................11.M. Regueiro............
    .......................................8. J. Riquelme...............................................
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................10. Ronaldinho.....................
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    .......................9. S. Eto'o..................................................................

Substitutes:

13. Kameni
    21. L. Perea
    2. Miguel
    16. J. De Guzman
    23. L. Del Porte
    22. D. Milito
    19. S. Milosevic

11. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would add Messi there.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoitchkov was one of the reasons I started following Barcelona in La Liga.

13. Martín1186

Martín1186 New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    NYC
    I dont think Perea, Arango, Marquez, and Regueiro should be there :p sorry but theyre not the All-Time best XI. Cryuff, Sotil, Hugo Sanchez, Romario and others

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GK ----------------- Nkono

SW ----------------- Koeman

DF Breitner --------- Santamaria --------- Carlos

DM ------ Mauro Silva ------------- Redondo

AM ------- Kubala --------------- Cryuff

FW -------- Di Stefano ------ Puskas

15. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    What about [IMO] the greatest Asian-born footballer ever, Paulino Alcantara? Averaging a goal a match in ~375 appearances for Barca? This is unbelieveable production at a club level, by any measure.

Granted, he's not as legendary as some of the other names here, but I challenge others to find an attacker with a like resume in La Liga...

16. Argento86

Argento86 New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Mataderos
    I'm too tired to mentio XI, but Fernando Redondo and Alfredo Di Stefano should be included

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That guy is Filipino, isn't he?

Even though I have Filipino heritage on my mother's side, there's no way I'm going to put him ahead of Di Stefano and Puskas. I'd rather put Vieri in my team.

18. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    In my opinion, it depends:

IF we are to consider club football ONLY, then it has to be Alcantara, IMO. [374 goals in 375 matches, and he played for part of his first few seasons as a defender...]

On the other hand, IF we are to consider international play IN ADDITION TO club play, then I'd have to agree with you in regards to Di Stefano and/or Puskas.

19. Merengue

Merengue New Member

Nov 4, 1999
    San Diego
    I like this team. I'd add Bernd Schuster in place of Mauro Silva. It's also hard to leave out Michael Laudrup and while his career wasn't as good as Cruyff's, his play in Spain was better so maybe I'd add him in place of Cruyff. I wouldn't include Maradona because he only played one season.

Breitner wasn't a right back but for the life of me I can't think of a top notch foreign right back who has played in Spain. Someone earlier named Angloma and he might be the best choice although isn't ideal. Valencia's current right back Miguel is in my opinion one of the 2 or 3 best right backs in the world now. But this is only his first season in Spain so he can't make this list.

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Laudrup would be a good choice and he is a personal favourite. I assumed that Cryuff was better in Spain so that's why he is my team instead of Michael.

If Miguel can make an impact in Spain, he should make that team. He is very good player.