LA Galaxy's new coach

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Bruce is out (looks certain), who will our new coach be?

So far the speculation has been:

Sigi
    Onalfo
    Berhalter, assuming we could pry him from Columbus

Anyone else out there? That pool seems pretty tiny. Personally, I think it's already going to Onalfo, and I share the skepticism about that one. He doesn't seem to have the resume, or the recent success, to warrant it. LAGII hasn't be fun to watch, IMO. He has been a steady presence.

So, who else do you have? And, when we do get our new coach, we'll have plenty more to talk about. It's the end of an era.

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any other assistant coaches in MLS in the wings? I just don't know about them.

Could we pry Pareja away from Dallas?

3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Matt Reis?

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Kirovski is in line for a GM type role. He and Klein could hold down the fort while they wait for a top coach such as Bradley to become available.

I'm grasping at straws here. Tough time of the year to lose your head coach and GM.

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I don't want Sigi.

Geneva repped this.
  6. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That makes two of us!! ✌️

Geneva and StillKickin repped this.
  7. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whomever it is, the coach will need to have the credentials/gravitas/likability to get the next DP's to buy into whatever the system is at some personal sacrifice. we bring in guys with big egos. not sure that fits Onalfo

Geneva and MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Rennie is available. He was once considered the best young coach in MLS.

I posted this the other thread, but I'd interview Giovanni Savarese. He's bi-lingual so that might help the recruitment of SouthA and CentralA players, and help quicken their adjustment period.

StillKickin, Beirut and Geneva repped this.
  10. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 Esc-soccer, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Coming to LA shouldn't be to much of a problem, plus we have the money to persuade most. My thing would be does this person have the credentials and knowledge of how MLS works to make it a successful coach.

I do like the sound of PORTER OR BERHALTER.. :thumbsup:

JPAR and Geneva repped this.
  11. Estiv-0

Estiv-0 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious to hear people's thoughts on this: does it matter what kind of style next coach tries to implement?
    I would love to see a coach who favors attacking, fluid soccer but can also see and implement a defensive gameplan when we need to grind out results.

Moreover, should our next coach also double as GM? Or was Bruce really the only person capable of doing both at a club like LA?

Geneva repped this.
  12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad, Manuel Pellegrini just went to China over the summer.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article is pure speculation. Absolutely no on Mastroeni. Colorado should pay us to take him. He might turn out to be a good coach someday, but come on, his past except for this year was absolutely abysmal and clueless. Porter is a good coach but what a jerk! Well, we should be used to that, I suppose. I would definitely take Berhalter.

14. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see the Galaxy be ambitious with their managerial search. However if Leiweke was still president I could see him taking a chance, but I don't think Klein has the personality and gumption to hire an old European curmudgeon like Pellegrini or van Gaal.

If we did broaden our search beyond MLS a coach like Roberto Martinez would be ideal. Someone like that is use to making the most with limited resources, which would be closer to what managing in MLS is rather than one of the mega clubs in the world.

MPNumber9 and Geneva repped this.
  15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean that to criticize. I should have said "...just like this thread!"

StillKickin and Berks repped this.
  16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Respectfully, why do you not like him as a coach? In his time with the Galaxy he won both the Shield and the MLS Cup. He was fired mid season with the Galaxy in first place.

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not have fired Sigi, but there was at least some evidence that he was losing the team. Sometimes that happens after a guy has been around 5 or 6 years - the same old speech is not as exciting the 37th time you have heard it. Coaches do have shelf lives - even good ones. Except for Sir Arthur, long tenure is an anomaly in the professional ranks, not the norm. But this is a completely different team than Sigi had last time - even then Bruce had last year - so that would not be an issue. Tactically he is sound, and he does have an eye for young talent.

TrickHog and kaburu repped this.
  18. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    Get Petke, win the cup in NY

ragbone and Beep Boop Robot repped this.
  19. Mapo818

Mapo818 Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Van Nuys , CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::thumbsdown::whistling::coffee:

73Bruin repped this.
  20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the thing is, Ives' articles are usually just that - pure speculation and a lot of personal opinion trying to pass it off as fact.

Berks, hav77, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically because he isn't Bruce. haha. His time with the Galaxy was long before my time with the Galaxy so I don't have fond memories of him. My main memory was the Earthquake playoff debacle in 2003 his leading the Galaxy to a complete meltdown. Maybe because his teams seem so boring to me.

I remember the galaxy being in first place at his firing, but I seem to remember they were playing like crap and just skirting by. But my memory could be wrong and it's possible it's just a personality thing with me.

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My opinions can be found in this 10,000 word blog entry...

Oh hang on, I haven't done one for this (yet).

If we don't move up Onalfo (I suspect we will), we need to look to the future with this appointment. For that reason, I'd say no on Sigi. I'm not sure who our best option would be. I once would've thought Kreis but he doesn't seem suited to working with the kind of DPs we tend to go for.

Please not Louis Van Gaal. I just endured two seasons of his outdated "possession for possession's sake" philosophy.

TrickHog repped this.
  23. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think an old foreign coach is the answer. MLS has so many crazy rules and intricacies, we need someone willing to spend the time and energy to get to know these. Winning MLS cup is as much about finding the right 'average' guy to fill roles, as it is about managing big time DP's.
    I still want Berhalter. Plays attractive soccer, has played overseas and in MLS and knows the system.

Berks, WarGalaxy and StillKickin repped this.
  24. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he's an interesting name. I don't think I'd mind Petke, so long as he bleaches his hair like in the old days.

ragbone, Berks and hav77 repped this.
  25. luigi-55

luigi-55 Member

LA Galaxy
    Netherlands
    May 7, 2010
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If it is not going to be "someone out of the box" then it should be Berhalter.

Bielsa is a great coach, but he was kind of loopy in his assignment in Lazio.

No Sigi, No Porter, Not even Petke (not with the kind of DP's we need to sign and manage)