LA Galaxy vs FC Dallas (no results implied)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RichM, May 21, 2014.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this in relation to the Seattle incident?

Feels like apples and oranges, if so. The IFK situation for a pass back to the goal area is spelled out explicitly in the Laws. Several referees have got it wrong in high-profile matches but it’s an objective question. It’s also a ceremonial restart. The Seattle incident is subjective because it’s about proximity to the spot and the level of non-verbal or verbal engagement from the referee. And it’s not a ceremonial restart (at least, it doesn’t have to be).

I still think Seattle situation from last night is wrong. But it’s wrong for a different reason than this play. The wrongness also affects the defending team in a much different way (because of the ceremonial v non-ceremonial nature).

And caveat that if this isn’t about Seattle but something else, I apologize and plead ignorance.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did a 2014 thread get bumped?

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    No, not at all.

In the MLS Seattle case, a foul at midfield is restarted 20 yards away. In the Juve/Chivas exhibition, the restart near the goal area for a passback violation is incorrect.

I did not know that the ball must be placed where the kick is taken at the point on the goal area line parallel to the goal line nearest to where the offense occurred when the original post was made years ago, so I found it interesting that another similar play occurred.

1. It was the most recent conversation about the topic on the proper restart on this type of call that I could find that is still relevant for last night's match.

2. There was no need to start a new thread as posters already made great observations that also relate to last night's match. Many new folks have joined BS during this time who may not be aware of the proper restart since the call is seldom made.

dadman repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait I’m even more confused now. You said “no, not at all” when I asked if it was in relation to Seattle. But it seems from the rest of your post that in your eyes it is in relation? Sorry I’m not following. Is there a different pass back incident from last night?

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Was a passback called in the Seattle game?

If so, I was unaware, since the only feedback I see from referees in the MLS Forum is regarding the restart 20 yards from where the foul occurred. I must have somehow missed the discussion or it's in another thread than the one I read.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be taking crazy pills. Your initial post said this:

“I'm resurrecting this very old thread since the focus is on the where the ball is placed after a pass back is whistled (I will keep to myself my opinion on the actual call).”

I read that to possibly mean that there was some present-day incident where the focus was on the placement of the ball after a pass back. But I guess you’re saying you just meant the focus in the 2014 match was on that and it somehow relates to what happened last night, which is what I wondered about. Is that right?

If so, again, I don’t think these two things are in the same zip code for the reasons I laid out above. But your ability to even remember this from 8 years ago is impressive.

SA14mars repped this.
  7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Agreed. The mistake in the 2014 match and the one last night is identical because of the restart.

I knew there was a discussion about it in the past and found it in the search engine.

I meant well to use an older post, since many good observations were made about the MLS game that would relate to the the exhibition match, but apparently caused confusion instead.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an idiot! And I apologize profusely. I'm terribly sorry, @MetroFever! I get it now. I didn't scroll and see that you also posted an incident from last night in a friendly. When you referred to "Juve/Chivas" it didn't register that it was from last night. Totally my fault for missing that and I apologize for only helping to sow confusion. And your memory of a 2014 incident is still very impressive.

jarbitro, dadman and MetroFever repped this.
  9. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Curious, do you mean a major ball misplacement, or restarting ~3 ft further from the goal line than where the GK touched it outside of the goal area?

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Now that I'm on the right page here... what's the issue in the Juve/Chivas game? Seems like the ball is placed correctly. The wall feels like a different story, though.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Boy I’d hate to have to manage this with pros. The wall wasn’t as fr off as the old event. Here the ball is outside the GA and 4-5 yards off the goal line, so the post is about 8 yards from the ball instead of 6. “Only” 2 defenders badly encroach from the 8 yard wall before the kick is taken. It’s kind of a shame that no one can come up with some easy way that an R can mark the 10 yards on the field so he could enforce the 10 yards or on the GL between the poss readily. :rolleyes: Given the fiasco when it was done so badly before, I would have thought that would be a training tape and refs would be prepared.

IASocFan and davidjd repped this.