.:LA Galaxy vs C-Rapids 3/29/08 Pre- / Post- Game Thread:.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: .:LA Galaxy vs C-Rapids 3/29/08 Pre-Game Thread:.

If you look at this team in comparison to the team we started with last year there's a whole lot more to be optimistic about. Even defensively we're a better team. And I'm not so sure our defense is any worse than Colorados.

Needless to say, offensively we're leaps and bounds better than Colorado. If the Gals can withstand the weather there's no reason not to expect a win here. 1-2 Galaxy.

2. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Re: Defense

I don't know. If you focus just on the back -

Last year:

Jazic Marshall Harden Albright
    Cannon
    subs: Randolph, Roberts (injured), Sturgis, Veris, Kirk, Russell

This year:
    Gavin Xavier Vanney Klein
    Cronin
    subs: Randolph, Jazic (injured), Roberts, Valentin, Franklin

Comparison:
    rookie - check
    past their prime veterans - check
    proven defenders in their prime - yes 07, none for 08
    position by position speed comparison LB, CB, CB, RB who's faster - push, 07, 07, 07.

Sure looks to me like it's a push at best.

3. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember a time when Albrights nickname was Alright. For a reason. One thing we didnt have last season was a group of guys that gelled together. Im not saying we definitely have it right now, but we are better than last season in the D, in the M and in the F. Hey, it could be Nate and Alan all over again if you prefer.

4. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles

True, but going into last year he was regarded as a premier MLS RB, for whatever that's worth.
    This I definitely agree with, for whatever reason - injuries to Roberts and I think Veris too, or Yallop's plan - made for very little preseason action for the starting back 4 together.

5. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I see no comparison.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know, purely from a defensive standpoint, I'd say last year's outside backs are better then this years and the central pairing of both 07 and 08 are very suspect.

However, you can't ignore goalie in all this. I think we're weaker this year, unless Cronin is a lot better then I give him credit for. (I hope that's the case!)

7. Anglokick

Anglokick New Member

Feb 26, 2002

Galaxy roster/injury update

8. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Klien is a class above Albright. His service and passing are everthing Albright hoped he could be. Remember the bike against Dallas in Superliga? Albright doesn't have those skills. Albright is a staunched nose defender but seriously, he's got nothing on Klien.

We still have Jazic.

You're right about Cronin. Wicks may eventually get the nod and he's looked Steller thus far.

Our central defense may be slow, but they're not the rookies of 2007 either.

9. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Apologies if this has been answered:eek:

Is this on "free" TV (ESPN?)

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see so much disrespect for Albright on this board that I just don't understand. Were you a fan of the galaxy before last season? If you were , you'd know that for the 2 seasons leading up to last year Albright was one of the premier right backs in MLS. He deserves far more respect then he gets here.

I like Klein a lot, but he's not a right back. He's growing into the role, but he's still being played out of position. there is a reason why he looks best going forward and combining in the attack. The reason is...he's a midfielder!

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's on fox soccer channel, hdnet and I believe one of the fox sports wests...

12. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Although, to be fair to Klein, IMHO he looked better when he first got moved to right back than Albright did when he got moved back. Although Albright was much younger, so he could spend the time developing into the player he eventually became, while Klein only has a year or two left.

I think the difference between last year's players and this year's players is a wash. This year has slightly more experience and last year had slightly more speed. I think the success or failure of our defense will come down to execution on the field and a commitment to team defending - guys covering for each other, etc. And staying healthy. Remember, we only got to see the Jazic-Marshall-Harden-Albright lineup for a couple games before injuries destroyed any consistency in the lineup. If we can stay healthy (I know, big if) we'll already have a leg up on last season.

14. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Albright is good defender but not great. He started as a forward so he too had to learn the trade.

Klien is much more versatile and as you said, adds to the attack, which is what really good, dynamic, defenders do. Albright would have a long uphill battle coming back as a starter so long as David Beckham and Chris Klien were on this team. That's because Albright can't play any other position. Kliens service is so underated, and Albrights defensive prowess is so overated it's really a no brainer. Fortunately or Unfortunately depending on how you look at it, Gullit was thinking the same. Here was a player, highly toutedly as one of the "premier right backs in the league" at his disposal. And yet he ended up peddling him among the rookies for something about a draft pick or allocation money.

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It concerns me that Alvaro still doesn't have his visa. I hope he gets it in time for this weekend...

16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I actually like this year's defense better (other than goalkeeper) despite the fact Gavin is less experienced. Jazic and Harden are/were reactive defenders - they would react to what the opposition was doing, but seldom force the issue themselves. Jazic would do his sagging defense on the wings to avoid getting burned. And when the ball was loose in the box, both Harden and Jazic, but especially Hardin, were often guilty of ball watching instead of rushing in to close down the angle for forwards teeing up on the ball.

Gavin and Franklin tend to get right up in opposing forwards grills and keep pressure on them, which makes it more likely they will cough up the ball or at least have difficulty getting their heads up to make a quality cross. Sure they are going to make mistakes, but I think they are also going to cause opposing teams to turn the ball over more.

And Vanney and Xavier both read the game well which is why it hasn't taken long for them to learn to work together. When Xavier was paired with Harden, X had little clue about what Harden was going to do and so sometimes they both converged on the same spot or player, leaving other players unmarked. Bad things tended to happen at this point.

Albright and Klein are a wash for me. They are both good defenders and they both get forward well. Klien has looked better on attack, but I imagine Albright would have had some shining moments too if he got to play with Becks like Klein has.

And this year's starting back line is much better than any back line with Roberts in it. Which means we really can't afford any injuries to our defenders.

17. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just swallowed my spit! Go back 2 or 3 years in the archives here if you can. I dont think we were praising Alright. He might have been "our" best, but I wouldnt label him a premier right back.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've got to agree with mbar here. Klein is a great pro, and it may be correct that we couldn't keep both on this team, but with all his flaws there is a reason Albright went to the world cup. I think he and Ching should have played in it, too. He was poised for a very good year last year before the injury. He always got a lot of abuse on the national team boards, but I don't remember lack of praise here - he always gave his best for the Galaxy, and his best was often top of the team, and top of the league in his position. When he and Dunivant locked down the the back corners for us, I don't think we've ever had a better fullback tandem, and they were highly, highly effective for us. We can only hope our current crop of defenders will do that well, let alone better.

19. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles

I feel all right about this year's defense, but I don't think being reactive as defenders is a fair blanket statement to last year's group.

Harden, like every Galaxy defender last year, was certainly guilty of all kinds of defensive sins, but I'd say Harden's most common mistake was getting caught coming out of position being too aggressive and missing a challenge and being unable to recover because of lack of speed without fouling. Jazic and Xavier both were the ones most guilty of backpedaling a lot and giving up space so as not to get burned. I also think a major component in the stay at home defending was that with all the inconsistency in the back there was a lot of disarray and I think part way through the season, instruction probably came straight from Yallop that he didn't want to see anybody caught out of position anymore, and that did have a noticeable effect on our defensive - less getting caught out of position, more giving up space (which if it meant we were more organized, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing).

20. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles

Abandoning comparison's to last years defense, I thought I'd present what I thought the perceived strengths of this years defense are.

1) We definitely have a lot of experience in the back with Vanney, X, and Klein. Although Klein is only in his 2nd season at RB, TrickHog is spot on in that he showed as a true professional that he was able to step in and play at a fairly high level immediately.These guys are all have had at least about a year to get acquainted with their new positions and should only be settling in - we shouldn't see from them the kind of mistakes we see from the likes of Gavin, Randolph, Roberts, Franklin.

2) Xavier is a beast in the air, especially on the long ball out of the back when he has time to get set. This really makes it hard for teams to bypass the midfield by playing it directly to a target forward

3) Distribution out of the back should be solid. Xavier, Klein, and Vanney all should do a great job of turning a defensive stop into an attack.

4) Gavin/Randolph are young, but between the two of them we should get some tireless work out of the LB position. Although they both are vulnerable to mistakes they should be able to win any endurance battles.

5) Cronin has a good throw and likes to keep possession with his distribution. This should help minimize the number of dangerous situations we'll have to face each game. He also seems to me to come off his line very well (if not sometimes too often). This trait, I think, is going to be very important with our slow CB. Our CB won't lose many battles, but they are vulnerable to balls over the top or through the back. If Cronin can win a lot of those races, it will go a long way to solidifying the defense.

21. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA

Hard to compare last years team to this team. My biggest complaint last year was our inability to hold the ball in midfield and pressure the opposition from the midfield. Our run at the end of the year, IMO was related to improved play and the ball pressure Tudela put on the opposition. I think the same will be true for this year as well. I see the last 15 minutes of the game as our most dangerous time with our back four. Vanney and X will have to play huge and I also think Ruuds substitutions in the midfield will play a significant role as well. Good to see Buddle is healthy and I think ready to go. All in all, I just can't wait to see this team play. If things don't work out, bye-bye Alexi come mid season.

22. forzagalaxy

forzagalaxy Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Austin, azTeX/SB, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Where did you hear this.

23. ashaman112

ashaman112 New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Moreno Valley, CA

The latest injury report is out. I really like the additional details they provide and hope they continue doing this. It fills the information void of seeing just "injured (ankle)".

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080325&content_id=145175&vkey=news_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.insidesocal.com/soccer/

yesterday's blurb...

...while Brazilian midfielder Alvaro Pires (technically still a trialist) is awaiting a work visa any day now.