LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2021-2024

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Skevin, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I want to see where we generate assists from, and that clear owner is lacking right now. Pulisic and Reyna playing a little bit too much hero ball.

Frankly, it might be why Lletget keeps seeing the pitch.

There is no clear assists leader on this team. Not sure there needs to be "ONE," but there definitely needs to be "SOME." Not seeing it yet (other than Seb).

The Cadaver, ShortyMac, TrickHog and 6 others repped this.
  2. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright so the Gold Cup Roster is out
    In: Lletget
    Out: Araujo
    Berhalter has stated that Julian hasn't made the "final step" to commit to USMNT
    I read this as they reached out to Julian, but Julian is waffling because being called up now means he will 100% play in a Gold Cup game, cap-tying him and he's not ready to commit to Mexico or USA yet. If these were friendlies I bet he would have said yes.

On the plus, its good to see them still rating Gyasi as a player who can still contribute. Every time I see him playing well I just think at how much our mismanagement ruined him here.

2in10, Berks, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As an american, I want Aruajo for the US because he will become a very good right back, but I also get it. Right now the US is kind of stacked at that spot. Dest, Cannon, and Yedlin is definitely difficult competition. I think Araujo has a higher ceiling than Cannon and Yedlin is getting older, but Dest is likely the #1 right back for years to come. Dest can also play LB so it is possible for Araujo to take that starting spot, but it's a lot of work.

2in10, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good to know that Araujo not being called up was an Araujo decision.

I think he’s better than Cannon right now (probably a bit of bias there), but he definitely has a higher ceiling.

I think Araujo could also play on the right of a back 3 and could cover a lot of ground to make up for Dest’s attacking tendencies.

I’m a little annoyed Lleget is gone for a month though. He’s earned his place in the squad, not sure what’s needed from him now.

ProudNatRN, 2in10, Geneva and 5 others repped this.
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Lletget is basically this cycle's Zusi for lack of a better comparison. When everyone is fit and it's a serious competition, Lletget is likely the go to super sub or fill in option. He is a very likable guy with experience, and Berhalter knows how to utilize Lletget better than most of LA Galaxy's managers have the last 5 years. It really sucks as a Galaxy fan, but I am really happy for Lletget. With all the great CMs in the player pool, Lletget has made himself a regular with the US.

ProudNatRN, 2in10, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  6. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also thought Berhalter said he wouldn't bring in players to the Gold Cup that played in the Nation's League.

7. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That too. I’m happy for Lleget and glad I think the USMNT is better that he’s there, but it feels like the Galaxy are getting the short end of the stick here.

galvanator repped this.
  8. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Long term, I don't think Araujo necessarily views Yedlin or even Cannon as competition. His issue is that he is around the same age as not only Sergino Dest, but also Bryan Reynolds, who also plays RB, and just moved from FC Dallas to Roma. That's a lot of RBs who are 20-21 years-old.

Skevin, ProudNatRN, 2in10 and 3 others repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berhalter needs to use his recruiting magic on Araujo stat. I would be bummed if we lose him to El Tri. I get it, but bummed.

I also thought no duplicate players between tournaments. But it’s hard to be upset for Lletget using his time for the USMNT after the horrible injury. He hopefully will get to go to the World Cup!

hav77, ProudNatRN, 2in10 and 2 others repped this.
  10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #185 73Bruin, Jul 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    I have no particular insight, but per TransferMarkt, Greg has only played Julian once in Feb 2020 as a 74th minute sub. Since then he hasn't made the squad even for friendlies against teams like Trinidad. Meanwhile Greg has brought in a number of other right backs with little or no experience (including Herrera from RSL and Duncan from the NYRB). I can see Julian thinking, correctly IMO, that Greg really didn't particularly care if he committed to the USMNT or not.

11. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that group doesn’t exactly inspire confidence for me

12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    It's the B team with a few exceptions like Lletget. The A team will come back for world cup campaign in the fall. They need some time off.

TrickHog and 2in10 repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he played with the youth team while this was going on? I vaguely remember this but too lazy to check.

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    He played for the U-23 team during the March 2021 qualifying games and that was it. He was a late game sub in the first match against Costa Rica (Herrera was the starter) and played the full games against the Dominican Republic and Mexico (a 0-1 loss). Herrera got the start and played the entire game in the loss against Honduras that eliminated the US from Olympic contention.

hav77, Geneva, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian was called up once and played a friendly as a sub against El Salvador for the Senior team.

hav77, 73Bruin, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  16. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You are correct and I am wrong. Julian was called up for the Feb. 2020 game against Costa Rica but did not play. He was called up a second time for the El Salvador game in Dec. of 2020 and came in as a 74th minute sub. Those were the only two times that he has made the 18. I got the two confused and transposed the date information from the first onto the 2nd.

hav77, 2in10, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we have a spot to talk about our Mexico boys?

Efra is officially cap tied to Mexico. I thought he was completely anonymous in his 80 minutes or so in Mexico’s disappointing 0-0 result with T&T.
    Jona also appeared.

hav77 and Geneva repped this.
  18. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we do, I found and bumped the thread.

TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  19. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget started and went the full 90 against Haiti in a 1-0 win.

Had a lot of good chances but also had a LOT of sloppiness. Hope it's just first game jitters but if not there's a lot of players who are showing they don't deserve to be in WCQers.

Also the nats board is absolutely toxic. I can't believe the vitriol that comes out of there.

I mention Lletget is most likely fatigued (3rd game in 7 days) and they all said "no it's just that he sucks"

I thought he did ok for his level of probable fatigue. Some good ball movement just needs to build chemistry with the squad.

Berks, 2in10, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They seem to think any level of play not Messi, Kante/Jorginho level is absolute trash and unacceptable. Also that MLS sucks.

Berks, 2in10, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #196 mbar, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    I thought Lleget was one of our best starters.

I thought Busio was our best player on the night that took the field.

Whole USA performance was a sloppy mess. Not sure this roster is capable of too much more even with a better starting 11.

edit to add: man that USMNT forum is so obnoxious. I’m surprised how poorly they viewed Lleget. Maybe I wasn’t watching closely enough but I thought he was pretty good for a mediocre midfield.

Berks, 2in10, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  22. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    #197 El Futbolisimo, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    I didn't see Lletget actively contribute to the final result at all. It might be fatigue which begs the question if he was tired coming in how will he be for Martinique? It may be time to sit him so he may recover and be more of a factor in more important games going forward. But I can understand the frustration as he is one of the veteran players who should lead by deed and not just by reputation.

Whatever happens, don't get HURT!

El Salvador beating Guatemala in third game today. Guatemala having not qualified was last minute invitee as Curacao players tested positive for Covid 19. First salvadoran goal scored by Alex Roldan of the infamous Seattle Sounders.

2in10, TrickHog, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  23. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This weekend I saw Messi 1v1 with the keeper in the box and fall down without contact and lose the ball. Did Lletget do worse than that?

2in10, Skevin, skydog and 4 others repped this.
  24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched so much soccer this weekend I don't even know anymore. Anyway, USA game was uninspired, but at least we won. Haiti had some organization and some good players. I expect the team will improve over the tournament, but Berhalter has his work cut out for him. I thought the central defenders did very well, and Shaq Moore was extremely active, dangerous, and seemed to have a point to prove. Buzio had a mixed performance early but, after he put up an absolute blistering shot that came out of nowhere, he seemed to get past the jitters, possibly caused by his home fans' loud support. Lletget is playing very conservatively in general, both for the Galaxy and the US Men. He went the full 90 and wore the captains' armband. I thought Acosta acted more like the field leader, along with Robinson and Zimmerman in central D.

Stuck my toe in to the US boards but got out fast. What kind of analysis is "everyone sucks"? How is that worth anyone's time? It's so depressing.

Berks, ProudNatRN, 2in10 and 6 others repped this.
  25. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an article on MLS soccer where Gregg was intimating that Seb might play out wide soon (due to the lack of Winger Depth). Which is honestly his best position imho, as one of the "wingers" of the front 3. I expect he'll be way more effective up there.

TrickHog, mbar and hav77 repped this.