LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2021-2024

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Skevin, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think it's time to get this thread going since the US has some friendlies coming up soon.

Aruajo and Lletget seem to be in the plans for Berhalter's team, but this USA player pool seems to be getting bigger and bigger every years.

Here is to hoping for a strong 2021!

shelbo, Geneva, Berks and 6 others repped this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Also the news of the day is Musah declared for the US. Pretty big for Berhalter to get him. The future is looking bright for the US. The starting XI actually looks really good.

Steffen, Dest, Richards, Brooks, Robinson, Adams, McKennie, Weah, Reyna, Pulisic, Sargent

That looks to be a strong XI. Plus we have guys like Musah, Dike, Miazga, Aaronson, Richards, Arriola, Cannon, Yedlin, Otasowie, Siebatcheu, and more.

Honestly it looks like now for any MLSers to break through, they will need to be one of the best in the entire league to get a chance, and imo, that is for the best. I don't really want to see the likes of Acosta, Roldan, Mueller, etc unless they are bossing the MLS.

shelbo, Geneva, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally excited. The talent level right now is something I wouldn't have dreamed of. Now we just need Pulisic to stay healthy and get off the damn bench.

Olympic Qualifying starts Thursday (Costa Rica), Sunday (Dominican Republic), Wednesday (Mexico).

See you then!

ShortyMac, ProudNatRN, 2in10 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Lletget called up for the senior USMNT's March friendlies

He seems to be a favorite of Berhalter -- almost a security blanket -- and I suspect his absence at times will highlight how important and versatile he is likely to be for the Galaxyt

ShortyMac, Berks, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yea pretty interesting he was called up because I believe he is the only MLSer in that squad which is very much the full A team there. Lletget will likely get minutes since the german boys won't be able to play a game, so he will have a chance to play with some really quality players.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd think a midfield that includes an A Pool USMNT player (Lleget) and an A Pool Mexican National Team Player (JDS) would be a strong MLS midfield wouldn't you?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

shelbo, Geneva, Skevin and 4 others repped this.
  7. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of other MLS players were also called up, Kellyn Acosta and Aaron Long, plus Daryl Dike (Orlando City player on loan to Barnsley). But definitely a majority Europe-based squad.

Skevin, ProudNatRN and 2in10 repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Olympics qualifier sees Araujo start on the bench in favor of Herrera from RSL.

Geneva and 2in10 repped this.
  9. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How does Olympic qualifying work this time around?

Kreis is a hack.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know Kreis has a checkered record as a coach but he was a joy to watch as a player. I watched him close up for 4 years at Duke and he was all class. He was the most competitive, hardest worker on the field by far and had one of the most powerful free kicks I've seen to this day. As a person (at least back then) he was a well liked leader (not that vocal, mostly lead by example) and graciously volunteered to come work with a select youth team I coached.

And few remember how good he was in MLS. He was drafted in the fifth round by the Dallas Burn in the MLS draft ever and is still their leader all time leader in goals (91) and assists (65). He became the first American born league MVP, the first MLS player with 15 goals and 15 assists in a season and the first MLS player to score 100 goals, beating out McBride, Wynalda and Joe-Max Moore who all started with him in MLS's inaugural year.

He became the youngest MLS coach in history when he took over RSL in 2007. Over 6 seasons he led them to a 111W-68D-88L record, with a +77GD. In his first year he took them to their first playoff appearance and they never missed the playoffs after that under him. They won the MLS Cup his 2nd season and were runner ups, losing in pk shootout in his last season. In 2011 he took RSL to the CONCACAF Finals, losing 3-2 on aggregate to Monterrey.

After completing his contract at RSL Kreis left on top of the world and everything went downhill. First he headed to NYCFC where he coached one disappointing season and was sacked. He then was hired mid-season by a crappy Orlando City team (they hadn't won a game in two months) and was released when he failed to turn it around in two seasons. Some of his coaching methods and personnel decisions were highly questioned during this last stint.

He became the U-23/Olympic head coach in 2019 - success to be determined. He is also an Inter Miami assistant coach.

shelbo, Beakmon FC, Berks and 7 others repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Araujo starting at right back in today's Olympic qualifier game vs. Dominican Republic, right now on FS1.

2in10 repped this.
  12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Araujo one of our best players today imho. Better finishing and he’d have had a few primary assists. Might have had an nhl one or two. And unlike his teammates he put in a an entire 90 minute effort.

shelbo, 2in10, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  13. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched both games. Felt great to watch games that matter. Still proud to have USMNT players on our team!

Araujo good I thought and his crosses were dangerous as we know. Wonder who starts in the semis.

Geneva, 2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 mbar, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    The “experts” over on the USA forum were much less impressed with Araujo then me. I thought he was better then most on our team. Solid defensively and constantly doing the right thing going forward. I thought all his crosses had clear purpose and were regularly dangerous.

incidentally, Antuna one of Mexico’s best players.

Berks, ProudNatRN, The Cadaver and 4 others repped this.
  15. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The analysis over there: If you don't play in Europe, you suck. Prove us wrong.

2in10, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole Olympic team is from MLS basically so you can imagine they are not fans.

2in10, TrickHog and Beakmon FC repped this.
  17. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when Zades gets called up, just for the reactions!

Berks, 2in10, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... their whole argument is that our B team isn't as good as our A team?

Wow, that's incredible analysis....

2in10 repped this.
  19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for reminding me why I don’t frequent that board any more.

shelbo and 2in10 repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not if Jimmy Butler is playing. (Inside joke for NBA fans.)

Beakmon FC, 2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watched the U-23’s vs Mexico. We were ok except one bad mistake in the back (leading to an Antuna goal) and we seem to have no forwards in this group. The 2nd half we got in the box a lot but nothing led to a shot, much less a dangerous one. Our best chance was when our guy fell down on a corner and got off a good header while laying on the ground.

Berks, TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Araujo had a few rough moments. And a few nice ones.

Berks, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ProudNatRN, Berks, 2in10 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is strange considering the Bundesliga guys will have to return to their clubs after this one I believe so Richards not starting makes zero sense.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #25 Skevin, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    I definitely understand what Berhalter sees in Lletget. Lletget is really good at retaining possession and letting the extremely talented guys find space. Lletget moves a lot in midfield and shows for 1-2s.

I am starting to think Lletget is actually a really good player that has been hampered by how shit we were and bad managers.

Edit: I posted my opinion on Lletget making the attack tick, and was told I am "a low IQ soccer fan who needs to take off your rose mls tinted glasses"

Blows my mind that Lletget in MLS bad, but if he goes to Austria like Aaronsson did, suddenly they are having a conversation that should Aaronsson start over Pulisic.

73Bruin, ProudNatRN, Berks and 7 others repped this.