LA Galaxy Flavored USMNT in 2019

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TrickHog, let's close the other 2018 thread.

Congrats to Lletget for making the final 23 man January camp roster for the USMNT. Interesting to see if he starts either game against Panama or Costa Rica.

Congrats also to Zardes who made the forward list.

Was surprised by the Acosta cut, but he's been underwhelming at times...

2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California

Interesting about Acosta as it seemed that DS have him plenty of opportunities before the January camp. Conversely, I don't recall Zardes getting many opportunities.

3. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the people who got cut either picked up minor injuries , underperformed, or just don't fit or understand the system. Lleget seems to be the guy who impresses everyone he plays with and for. I'm happy he made the 23 and I'm hoping he gets to play a good chunk of minutes in the friendlies.

Apparently there's some people in the US soccer world that think Alex Mendez may make his senior USMNT debut this year. Really we wished we signed him to a homegrown contract. Kids the real deal.

4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Hopefully the Galaxy will start offering players contracts at an earlier age before they are poached.

5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seems to me that the current system has to change. Academies invest in developing many prospects and the ones that work out are free to leave.

hav77 and The Cadaver repped this.
  6. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mendez was offered a contract by the Galaxy. That's really not the issue.

MLS academy kids are going to continue to skip MLS until their respective teams prove there is a way forward for these players in MLS, particularly in attacking positions. Those spots are always filled with expensive foreign players (many of whom aren't that good anyway) and always will be. Fanbases bitch already bitch if their owners aren't spending millions on bringing in DPs.

No Galaxy academy kid is ever going to get playing time over guys the Galaxy have invested huge salaries and transfer fees into regardless of how much potential that prospect has. No Galaxy academy kid is going to displace Zlatan regardless of their respective levels of play and when he leaves the Galaxy will find another superstar. The more money comes in to MLS and the more quickly foreign players get green cards (which really is an insult to the hard working immigrants in this country whose journeys to green cards are often extremely long and difficult, while plenty of foreigners in MLS get their green cards with no intention of staying here long term), the more quickly we'll see academy players leave. The more we see academy players leave, the harder these billionaire owners in MLS are going to look at whether academies are necessary.

You want your academy kids to sign? Give them a reason to. Invest your future in them. I really hope that DTK has a vision for this.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which touches on two other issues: compensation from the club that signs one of these wonderkinds, and whether the soccer fans in the US would actually pay to watch a kid even if his skills were close to the name player. I suspect, at least in LA, the answer is no, so the owners are in a bind.

hav77 and generaladmissision18 repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #8 skydog, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ?? If an academy kid could score anywhere close to Zlatan's rate the Galaxy would be offering millions to get his signature. I don't see the bias against US players that you see. The very best players developed in MLS academies mostly ditch the US and go to Europe. If they aren't good enough to get signed in Europe but are good enough to contribute to an MLS roster they are usually given that shot. I don't think we have any Academy or GII players who are tearing it up at the lower levels and then not being given a shot to work their way to the first team.

Now a completely different argument is the extent which MLS should be allowing more skilled foreign players access to our league since they will be displacing US players. Most soccer leagues not named Brazil struggle with this issue. EPL certainly has. It had a choice - insist on more spots reserved for native born players or become the best league in the world. They took the latter route but there is still a lot of complaining about the policy hurting their national team.

Personally I want to see higher quality soccer in MLS. I want to see the product reach a level that it will be of national interest, TV money pours in, we can lure the best players from around the world. And some day I can talk about yesterdays game at work without getting a blank look. I also hope that the US some day will be producing a higher number of players who can play at that level.

We need to be producing more Donovans/Bradleys/Clints/Beasleys rather than pretending BJIV/Lassiter/Mendiola just need more playing time.

9. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    6000 tickets sold to tomorrow’s game. :sick:

USSF has a lot of work to do to make people feel excited about this team again.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the first issue is the big problem. My impression is that US law around youth and contracts is why it’s hard for US youth development clubs to get any piece of the pie when one of their players gets signed.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes with 2 good layoffs

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lleget with a nice run. Wins the ball drives forward and feeds Zardes in for a shot and rebound which he skyed.

Zardes has been active but not the best

skydog repped this.
  15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched most of the game and getting to know all those young strangers. Berhalter's choices were interesting. I was fascinated by Long as captain and new wingers and fullbacks and stuff. I'm crap at evaluating anything so will look forward to your wisdom and wish them all well. Too bad Lletget wasn't standing there for that tap in. :)

TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  16. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pleasantly surprised! I thought the boys did really well. Don’t feel like anyone played themselves off the roster and it felt like a few people (Lima, Roldan, Zimmerman) solidified their place.

First time I’ve really watched a match in a while and came away feeling positive about it. I had a hard time recognizing some players but that’s more with me not following this team closely for a few years. Glad to say I’m willing to start watching religiously again.

I thought we looked defensively sound and showed some promise offensively albeit against a weak team. It’ll be interesting to see a FULL strength USMNT soon. My only worry is that we wasted last year so integrating everyone will be difficult.

I love Zardes because he does some things really well, but holy hell does he screw up easy chances. Can’t say I’d be excited to see him in another camp.

B+ for Berhalter.

StillKickin, Geneva, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Lletget was excellent in his 30 minutes (other then his pitiful pk dive)

Berks, GalaxyOne, Geneva and 3 others repped this.
  18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am excited for this new cycle. Lots of good young players playing in europe. Plus we have some older players like Jozy and Bradley who seemed fired up again.

19. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to tell hard of a dive that was. At the speed he was running any contact can throw you off balance and contact certainly feels worse than it actually is. At first glance it looks like there was maybe a clip or no contact. Meh. I enjoyed lletgets spell. He is one of the few attacking midfielders we have who can beat people with a dribble alone.

20. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate going on the nats boards, they have Zardes' Derangement something fierce. A few recognize his good qualities while also talking about his weakness in finishing and first touch... You know I have a player in my football manager mobile 19 game who resembles him. The mental capabilities are all there, it's just his technical abilities need work.

Tell me if that resembles him. If only his technical abilities matched with his ability to read the game and get into dangerous positions well. he is recommended as a defensive forward. Pretty apt. Screenshot_20190129-150322.jpeg

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyasi had trouble finishing, but his hold and layoff game was really good. He kept the ball moving at crucial times with his back to the goal.

Berks, StillKickin, Bilgediver and 2 others repped this.
  22. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't so much whether he was clipped slightly or not. It was the pulling up of his pins a full 3 seconds after the supposed contact for the express purpose of fooling the ref into calling a PK that was the issue.

Not necessarily a bad thing to practice the dark arts so you can use them when really needed, but he must be careful not to do it too often to get a reputation. Save it for the WC! :D

23. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member+

LA Galaxy
    Oct 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half over 0-0. Seb is a sub, Gyasi had a decent half. Had a few normal flubs that could easily be attributed to receiving the ball in a bad spot. Thought he was one of the few who did well enough as it seems our best forays forward came through him.

Geneva repped this.
  24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Lletget gets a goal and assist as a sub. I am excited for our season.

Berks, ProudNatRN, WarGalaxy and 2 others repped this.
  25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Da Boy was Da MVP.

Berks, StillKickin, Skevin and 3 others repped this.