La Fans - Don't Vote For Galaxy All-stars

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LA Aztecs OG, Jun 17, 2003.

1. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    LA fans, don't vote for Galaxy All-Stars. Instead, vote for other teams players.

I think this is total BS that the MLS is having Chivas (a prestigous, legendary international side) play our All-Stars.

Since the MLS doesn't believe it should be an East vs. West game. . . screw em.

so, go out and vote for the Pepsi All-Stars and vote for players OTHER than G-men.

Definitely put a lot of votes in for Meola, Preki, and Nick Garcia.

2. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The east vs west gets hardly anyone interested. The MLS All Stars vs the US Nats was better. The only problem with this is the choice of Chivas.
    Hoping Chivas will injure them? :)

4. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    1) we were told it was going to be a European Team.

2) Chivas played a 15 (FIFTEEN) match exhibition last year in the US.

3) They have also played various games in Los Angeles against other Mexican Futbol Liga teams.

4) I believe that Mexico feels slighted by the recent dominance of the US. If the two teams play, I'm afraid that Chivas may retaliate against our players and do some stupid things.

5. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll give the G stars a weekend to rest up before the season gets going again.

6. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All your points are good in my opinion.
    Another worry is that the crowd may (will) be mostly cheering for Chivas at MLS's day that is supposed to celebrate the league.

7. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    yeah. I'm afraid it WILL be a Chivas crowd.

Actually, I'm not afraid. IT WILL be a Chivas crowd.

WHY GARBER, WHY????

8. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    dont worry
    Chivas is no Necaxa

9. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    I guess. but if we can capitalize on their history by making money off of them. . .. where's the love?

Why not Milan? or Celtic? or Rovers. Hell, I'd pay to see MLS all stars versus Blackburn.

But NOOOOOOO. MLS has to cater to an audience that wants to see Chivas.

What? you don't believe we can fill up our cathedral with MLS fans??

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhh ... no. I don't think there is any way in god's green earth they would have sold out the MLS All-Star game with an east v. west format. Who cares about that???

11. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Chivas is the worst choice ever. The Mexican League had its first All-Star game several weeks ago. I saw nothing but vicious tackles in that game. I guess they don't know what the meaning of an All-Star game is. MLS fans should get first priority for the game.

12. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    To get the stadium with MLS fans, they should use the same strategy as the qualifier in Columbus.

13. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    I believe SJ of all places sold out the all-star game in '01 with that format.

14. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    look, I got nothing against showing a chivas versus america game. .. after the east vs. west.

I think it would be tremendous.

but allstars vs. chivas doesn't make sense to me.

Look, if mexico wanted to take out one of our entire rosters - this is the place to do it.

If we have 11 - 20 nat team players in the all star game. . don't you think some shmuck from mexico, oh like, Menchaca who wants to ascend to the ranks of Super Lider del seleccion, will authorize that legs be hacked?

I don't like it one bit. NOT ONE bit.

Don't get me wrong. . . please. I respect Mexican football immensely. I really do.

Just not when Mexico and the US play.

That's all.

15. jdoh3333

jdoh3333 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Hollywood
    Did anyone else think that their season ticket package included the all star game??? I must have misread it, but it does not. Just got a letter inviting me to buy my own season seat for the game for $65 bucks.....no thanks. Cheapest seat is at 35$.

16. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe we shouldn't vote for any Galaxy all-stars except Kevin and Ruiz because NO ONE DESERVES IT AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

17. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite frankly, I don't understand the fears that Chivas will come in and play dirty. LAG have played Chivas several times in the past, (Remember the Cruz Bustamante Cup?) and they have been pretty good games and not particularly violent. On top of that, at least at the Rose Bowl, Chivas fans (and there were a lot of them) were pretty classy and in no way violent or abusive.

Chivas will understand darn well that they are on national television in the U.S. and will want to showcase their own game, not act like thugs.

18. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    That's a valid arguement.

And I agree that Chivas would want to showcase their talent. But, parading the European teams around all summer and not throwing a bone to LA is a disgrace.

We get Manchester.

while the East Coast gets Blackburn, Barca, Juve, Milan, Celtic and ManUre.

hmmm. Great. we get another couple Mexican league teams.

I'd like some diversity out here. See something fresh. Something new. Something that doesn't smell richly like chorizo, cheese, and peppers

(referencing El Mexicano brand by Marquez Bros. International who own Chivas)

It's true that CdeG have played the Galaxy on various occasions, which is all the MORE reason NOT to have them come back to LA.

19. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    This would be another insult to the MLS and American soccer fans. Where did you all see this news or is it a vixious rumor?

We are trying to build this country's league, but by playing Chivas in "our" All-Star game, we are showing the rest of the sports world that we can't handle the sport and need the supporters of Mexican soccer to help the league out. Do they really think they couldn't fill out an all-MLS Allstar game? Wow...

I was looking forward to seeing the MLS' best players. I don't care if it was east vs west game. But to play against a Mexican team only hurts the image of league.

No one is saying it might not be a bad game, as it might be very good, but I can already see all the old stereotypes coming out once again, such as it being a foreign sport.

And then what if MLS actually loses. Then all the respect we have gained will go down the drain, followed by one hard tequila shot.

First, they don't let the Galaxy play MU, now this. Unbelievable. I say we PROTEST and write letters to the league telling them we won't go, so when it does happen and the crowd is completely pro-Chivas, we can say that is because the league is not supporting its MLS fans.

On the other hand, when all these pro-Chivas fan start coming to the Galaxy games consistently, then I might think about going to watch a MLS Allstars vs Mexican Allstars game.

20. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    One more thing:

Obviously, any country supports it's home country's teams to some respect, but if I were of Mexican background, I would be INSULTED by the MLS which thinks that Mexican-Americans (exchange with Korean or any othe nationality) will only go to games if Mexicans are playing, or only if the Galaxy signs a Mexican player (even if a crappy old-timer). I would guess that they want to see great soccer too. You gonna tell me that Mexican-American would not go see Real Madrid play because they don't have a Mexican on the team?

Maybe I am so off -base, but please tell me if I am wrong.

21. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta get em early

Got to get those tickets... I think it will be a very entertaining match.

We are getting this oppurtunity early, for when they go on sale to Jose public.. every a$$hole chivas fan will snatch them up, and 27k seats they will end up filling the place... our place!!!! with their crappy Red & White flag.

I am not a fan of the mexican league, or their overhyped underachieving national team. BUT i HATE Chivas.

how about this situation.... a team like chivas with its mexican born players only rule!! against an MLS All-star team that is made up of foreign players not born in the U.S. or mexico

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thought: assuming MLS wanted to go with a foreign club team v. MLS stars team, think about what options they really had.

Why do you think a Real Madrid or Barca would have any interest in participating in this? What's in it for them? And the game falls into the FIFA international play window, which means many of the big name players are off with national teams anyway. And its not in season so the team is not together - probably those not on national squads are on their only vacation of the year, given the crowded calender of events in Europe.

Lets not get delusions of grandeure here. If the stars played Barca, it would be Barca that had everything to lose and nothing to gain. Barca wins, and everybody says "what did you expect." Barca loses and has to explain how it lost to a second tier league. And there is not likely to be enough money in it to make the risk interesting to them.

It is true that for LA fans, Chivas is a team we have seen several times. But, that is not true for fans of the league in other cities. Even though the game is at our house, this in not really "our" game - its the whole league's game.

Having said all of that, it would have been more fun to see a team we hadn't seen before. Bring on West Ham! But - it could have been worse. It could have been another game against Olimpia.

23. Caro Francesco

Sep 19, 2001
    Redondo Beach, Calif
    Re: Re: La Fans - Don't Vote For Galaxy All-stars

I'd add Dema Kovalenko and Ryan Suarez to that list.

24. LA Aztecs OG

LA Aztecs OG New Member

May 28, 2003
    BEATING THE QUAKES
    during this "preason," which occurs between the middle of July and the beginning of September - these European teams want to play high quality football. It's in THEIR best interest to play against good teams. Even if that team happens to be the MLS All-Stars made up of several USMNT players.

plenty of money is going barca's way this summer. This would be more icing on their fruitcake.

except the 15 cities in which Chivas played last year. And the games it has scheduled in Houston this coming year. Chivas has been parading around the US catering to the Hispanic market. WHICH, according to the Sports Business Journal accounts for ONLY 19% of the soccer fans in the US. White represents 65%. Black, Asian, and Other account for the remaining 16%. So in all actuality, we are catering to 1/5 of ALL the soccer fans in the US by bringing in Chivas. AND not all of the 19% Hispanic fans are Chivas fans. Many fans are from Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Puerto Rico, etc., etc. So, in all reality, does this make good financial sense? It must be. . but why? Why would non-Chivas fans want to see Chivas?? Why not appeal to the biggest market?

I understand that tapping in the Mexican, Guatemalan, Salvadoran, Honduran, etc.,etc. market is smart business. Hell, Houston Texans owner Bob McNair is paying KC to play Santos Laguna AND Honduras Nats vs. El Salvador Nats. to come play in his house on the same day.

TRUE! TRUE!

25. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    I'd like to know the rational behind this decision. I for one have no desire to see Chivas (ralladas or spotted). At $40.00 a ticket (which I erroneously tought was included in my season package).

This is very, very lame.