La Doce

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by santeroatomico, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's what a sponsor wants, then that's cool. Also, nothing says you have to be Latino to sit in that section. It's just a common soccer supporter name, correct?

rock

bford

2. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a La Doce Dos in the future...

3. hugasan

hugasan Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah...I think they can't officially use the "twelve man" name because it is registered to the Texas Aggies. I believe just recently the Aggies took somebody to court because they had banners at the game (not sure if College Football or Baseball) with that slogan. (I can't recall this information right away because still sleepy from being at the Astro's game last night for the whole 14 innings.) But the name "La Doce" which basically means "The Twelve" is ok to use.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    It was the Seatle Seahawks that they threw the hissy fit about.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "La Doce" is also just a pretty common name for hinchadas/barras/supporters groups. The most famous one is probably the one for Boca Juniors in Argentina, but there are also a lot of variants on "Doce" or just plain ol' 12. IIRC, Corinthians in Brazil still has a torcida called "Camisa 12". It's just a very common naming concept for barras, torcidas, etc.

6. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Corinthians does, as do several other Brasileiro teams.

And "Doce" in Portuguese means "sweet", as in sugar or honey. I was somewhat confused by the name before reading about the Spanish meaning... ;)

The whole thing sounds like just a ticket promo deal, but we should keep an eye on it in case it does turn out to be a divisive tool (in AEG's hands, at that!)

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boca and their La Doce Yup! That's exactly where I got the idea from. It's also the exact concept I delivered to James Martin and Oliver Luck back in Feb.

I told them to create a "12th Hombre" section in the entire Northend 200's.

Thus, the walk up and hard core supporters can know each and every game night that there is a special GA destination waiting for them.

The salt for me on all this is that I told them to promote it as "$12 bucks gets you into the 12th Hombre" Simple, set price that can appeal to the young mens/womens crowd that wants to go, wants to get loud and proud yet is low on the coin.

I knew of avoiding the TAMU hissy fit so on purpose I told Oliver to make it half English and half Spanish with "12th Hombre". That way we can celebrate the Texas A&M tradition of "Home of the 12th Man" that even a Texas Tech guy like me really aprreciates about our Texas sporting culture. Yet still avoid any run ins with it on a legal angle.

AEG sure likes my ideas ;)

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that somebody has pointed out the irony of this sentence coming from someone who's in DC's "Barra Brava."

9. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Hey guys I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but is La Doce setting up in the opposite end of the Texian Army for the game on Saturday? I say this because I think that's where those of us in the Inferno are going to be and it's really not smart to put two supporters groups next to each other.

10. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    213 is Texian Army, 217 is La Doce. The Inferno should be far enough away to not have any issues.

11. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Hey guys sorry for the misunderstanding.
    When I was inquiring about the section I was told by a Ticket rep that the section was being marketed to latinos. The guy even try to sell me a season ticket there.

As Anderson said I do not think the team is starting a supporting group but just providing a place for one to sit.

I know I said this before but I still feel bad about stirring a bee"s nest on this.

12. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Sometimes is good to find out all the details before you say anything but its a lesson to learn for the future.

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    There's no reason for you to apologize, all you did was start a thread about something, you can't control how people react.

14. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Oh ok, cool. Thanks

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's almost funny, I agree, but Barra Brava is not name of specific group, so it would be like naming yourself Ultras NameOfCityOrSomethingElse, which is what might have happened if founders were European not South Americans. I'm gonna concede it's not very imaginative :D

on the other hand there's quite a few better versions of Inferno in other countries ;)

16. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...but there's only ONE Texian Army!!

17. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by the crowd in that section, La Doce is nothing more than a GA section with further discounts.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was surprised there was no sign or anything in Section 217. Didn't appear to be any group activity at all. Not even a Bud sign in that area that I noticed.

OK, there was a sign but it was Kingwood Soccer Supports the Dynamo.

Section 208, on the other hand, was pretty full and was really into the game. They seemed to be especially enthusiastically cheering for Cerritos. Much more of a Doce than 217.

19. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at one point, I did notice a small vertical color bar that said "La Doce" toward the top of 217, but it was very easy to miss.

20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

My first thought is that it was "The Bear and Bull" who put together the site as a marketing effort for away games especially since we decided not to go there for games. I could be wrong, but that was my impression. Maybe we should go to the next sevral games there and recruit for the army!

21. naaa don't worry about this "la 12" thing.
    the only hispanic barra at the stadium on saturday was us.
    we where were we have been since the first game, in the Texan Army
    and as far as it goes we would keep being there, even though most or all of us aren't official members because we don't go with the idea of paying to be with the "barra" , we all go for Dynamo and we have to be united.
    that's why we are not moving from there, as long as there is no problem with y'all.
    even though we might come out with a name for the latino crew we would still consider ourselves part of the texan army and we won't move from that section.
    but this is just like it goes on in most of the barras around the world, there is the main name for the barra and inside the barra there are different groups with different names according to their ideals, toughts, feelings or whatever it is, but everybody is proud to defend the main name.

and by the way, one last thing, what do I need to do to take into the stadium a banner?

*AgUaNte DyNaMo*
    *LoS BaRRaS*SoMoS LoS CaPoS DeL TaBLOn*
    *HoUsToN MaNdA*DaLLaS ObEdEcE*

22. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Tablon??This is not basketball

23. hahahahahahaha
    tablon es el nombre con el que se le conoce a la tribuna popular
    al lugar donde para la barra
    :p

24. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    From the Real Academia Espanola:

Since I don't follow b'ball in Spanish, I never heard the referred to b'ball. But. I think in the soccer context, it refers to the cheap seats where the barras hang out. Usually, in the older stadiums in Mexico (at least), the cheap seats ("las gradas") are made of a long "tablon" which is different from the nice seats where they are either cement bleachers or in some cases nice cushiony seats that look like bus seats that are walled off from the hoi polloi.

25. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all good man. Even if you're not official TA, everyone is welcome to sing with us. You just have to come by the tailgate sometime and teach us some of your Spanish songs. My fav is the "Vamos Houston" song. Banners are taken in by some of the TA staff just before the game.